VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I have a question. I am adding a gif intro to the videos I then render in DV and I noticed that the gif is scaled all the way to either sides in 4:3, or top/bottom in 16:9 without leaving safe space for Nominal Analogue Blanking, ie the image is scaled to full width of 720x576 frame instead of being contained within the 702x576 active image area. In the meantime every video file is properly scaled, 4:3 source results in black bars on sides, 16:9 in even larger black bars, as result of acpect ratio affecting the blanking areas.
    The problem with gif is that it is not scaled accordingly thus when recorded on VHS tape the sides of the gif image are cut, because they are not paded with blanking that would get cut instead.

Is there a solution to this problem for example padding the sides of the gif?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, apparetly I solved my own problem, it all has to do with the SAR in SD video.
    In order for the image/gif to fit inside the active image area one needs to extend the width of the image/gif by appropriate margin calculated from the following formula:
    Code:
    ((768/702)*720)/(768/width)
    Where "width" is the width of the image/gif.
    For NTSC replace 768 with 640, 702 with 704.
    It should work for widescreen too.
    However testing on my TV showed that for the entire image to be visible and not only contained in the official active image that is subjected to overscan the result of the equation should be increased by 10%:
    Code:
    1,1*((768/702)*720)/(768/width)
    At this day and age probably noone will be interested in it, but hey, I like VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. it could be solved just interpreting your gif in properties for that event, giving it a custom aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    it could be solved just interpreting your gif in properties for that event, giving it a custom aspect ratio
    There is a option to change SAR and it results in distorted image aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote