VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Sky+ box belonging to my late uncle, and want to be able to access his recordings to see what kind of stuff he watched when he was around. I know there's software that lets you extract the FTA channel recordings, but is there anyway to access or decrypt the non-FTA channel recordings now?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    depends on the brand and model
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Short answer, NOPE.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    < retracted > don't want to get into a philosophical debate
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Depends what encryption you're talking about, If it's programing transmission encryption like Viaccess, AccessGuard, Nagravision ...etc then no, You would need the receiver that recorded those programs with an active subscription just to play them back or record them from a video output, But some encryptions generations are dead now like Nagravision 2 for dish network so associated recordings are dead in the water, Programing providers don't keep old systems, they get rid of them as soon as they upgrade to a more robust encryption.

If it is just hard drive encryption then there are ways but most of those forums and threads are obsolete now, Try look up some old satellite and cable forums' threads that talked about extracting Tivo recordings and other DVR boxes. you may be lucky to find some info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I was told on another thread there's a way of doing it through Linux?

I still have the original box and card. So i'd have to get a Sky subscription in order to access what's on the box? Would each box be tied to a particular address though? Or can i just hook up the satellite and put in my own activated card and it would all appear? I'm not sure how far back the recordings go, but up until 2018 when he was still with us. I also have another Sky box that's a couple of years older that my dad got from somewhere, so would be interesting to see what is on that too.

I'll look into the Tivo extractions thread and hopefully find something, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Things will have changed since 2018 encryption-wise

Each viewing card is 'matched' to the $ky box and that is done over the air with an active sub unless the card has not been removed. Trying with your own card could 'screw up' your own sub.

I guess you have already tried to watch the recordings with the card in the box. If not, it is worth a try. But if the card has to be rematched then a valid subscription would be required.

The was a Linux program that could read the removed HDD. Whether that worked for all recordings I know not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As DB83 mentioned, try and see, Over the years the access encryption got smarter and smarter to the point where you have to have an active phone line or internet to the receiver to get the hand shake from the provider after it checks the status of your subscription. It will be a lot easier if the recordings are only hard drive locked and not access encrypted that's for sure.
    Quote Quote