VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own the Spears and Munsil High Definition Benchmark blu-ray calibration disc and have done a lot of experimenting with settings on my PS3 and Samsung Ln40b650 tv and just can't get the video to look right on my tv for both blu-ray and dvd movies. You may be aware that Ps3 has a video setting called Super-White for the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr output mode which increases the range of white levels sent to the tv. There is a test on my calibration disc to test whether all the white levels above reference white are being sent to the tv and the only way I see all the white levels above reference white on my tv is when I turn Super-White to "on" in the Ps3 display settings and set video output to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. This is the setting I have been using on my Ps3 to watch movies and I set my TV to "movie" mode because I watch movies in a dark room.

So, just to clarify, I am using the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr output mode, am using the ps3 Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White setting, have the RGB output set to limited, and use "movie" mode on my TV. All extra features on my TV are turned off (i.e. 120Hz motion plus mode, Digital NR, black tone, dynamic contrast, edge enhancement and xvYCC). Color space on tv has been set to "auto". Gamma, White Balance and Flesh tone settings have all been untouched. My Ps3 is connected via HDMI.

When I watch movies on blu-ray and dvd, the video looks a little faded and the colors always look slightly dull unless I turn the Ps3 Super-White setting on. I also want to note that I have gone through all the steps on my calibration disc and calibrated my tv multiple times.

I still prefer to set Super-White to "on" rather than "off" because I can see much more color in the picture and the picture is more vibrant. However, there are a few problems I am having with Super-White. The colors look a little off. Blacks are deeper but slightly crushed, the white parts of the picture are a little too bright and colors in general don't seem like they are quite being reproduced accurately. I especially notice this with reds and flesh tones have more of a red, unnatural hue. I have experimented with different color temperatures and it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I am frustrated because I just want the picture to look more normal and I can't get it to. My friend has a similar model Samsung tv and on his blu-ray player, the color tone looks fine in movies and the video does not have a faded look like when I turn Super-White to off on my Ps3. I experimented with so many different video settings (i.e. RGB full, RGB limited, just using Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr with out Super-White, using Super-White with both RGB settings) and nothing makes the video on movies look accurate. I am starting to wonder if this is simply a problem with the combination of the Ps3 and my particular model Samsung TV. I am also wondering if buying a new standalone blu-ray player is the only to get video to look normal on my TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions that maybe I haven't tried yet? Thanks.
    Last edited by dm2012; 7th May 2014 at 05:35.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!