VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a 3D movie in .wmv format on my PC. I put the movie on a USB stick to play it on my LG 3D TV, but apparently my TV doesn't support playback of .wmv files. So I tried to convert the .wmv file to avi and avi does play on my 3D TV, the problem is, I can't use the 3D feature. It's just 2 identical pictures right next to eachother (pressing the 3D button doesn't work). How can I convert the .wmv file without losing the 3D functionality of it?
    Last edited by roboto; 11th Aug 2014 at 13:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the 2 identical picture next to eachother is the 3D.. press 3d button and select SBS (side by side).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very sure that his TV won't accept WMV as 3D input. I would be shocked if that was OK.

I suggest encoding to an MKV container using H.264 as the video. If your audio is WMA audio then you'll need to encode that too. AAC or AC3 would be better. I'm not sure about encoding SBS video so I'll leave that to others to suggest a program to do that.

In the future, if you get WMV 3D files, you can't really expect them to play anywhere except on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    I have a 3D movie in .wmv format on my PC. I put the movie on a USB stick to play it on my LG 3D TV, but apparently my TV doesn't support playback of .wmv files. So I tried to convert the .wmv file to avi and avi does play on my 3D TV, the problem is, I can't use the 3D feature. It's just 2 identical pictures right next to eachother (pressing the 3D button doesn't work). How can I convert the .wmv file without losing the 3D functionality of it?
    In what way does the button not working? Are there no available options? Or do the choices not deliver the experience you were expecting?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    the 2 identical picture next to eachother is the 3D.. press 3d button and select SBS (side by side).
    I know it is the 3D, but what I'm saying is the 3D button SBS doesn't work on the converted WMV file.

I'm very sure that his TV won't accept WMV as 3D input. I would be shocked if that was OK.

I suggest encoding to an MKV container using H.264 as the video. If your audio is WMA audio then you'll need to encode that too. AAC or AC3 would be better. I'm not sure about encoding SBS video so I'll leave that to others to suggest a program to do that.

In the future, if you get WMV 3D files, you can't really expect them to play anywhere except on a PC.
    Yes, that's what I'm trying to do, converting to something that will play on my TV. The problem is that when I try to convert, the file loses its 3D functionality. What I'm searching for is a way to convert to let's say AVI or the like, but still retaining the 3D functionality. Apparently, as I'm told, the file seems to be losing its 3D "metadata" in the converting process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no meta data i a sbs 3d video. it's just the 2 parts side by side in a single video. i play them through a network to a bluray player to the tv. once on the tv you have to manually select 3d then sbs or top/bottom with the remote.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok I tried converting the file again. This is what happens: The file is in WMV format. In my conversion software called wondershare I select the output format "LG TV" which converts the file to MP4. I put the MP4 on a USB stick. I put the USB stick in my TV. The file plays and displays 2 pictures side by side. On my remote I press the big red 3D button. A message appears on the screen saying 3D is on. But rather than merging the 2 pictures to make the actual 3D on which I can use my 3D glasses, the TV treats the file as being 2D and blurs it a bit (still 2 pictures) as if the TV tried to make 2D to 3D. No other option is available when pressing the 3D button on my remote, it automatically blurs the 2 pictures. Really weird.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not weird at all.

Pressing the 3D button engages 3D mode - to the format you have pre-selected in the menu (Auto3D, SbS, TaB/OU, 2D->3D, etc). Sounds to me like you simply have the wrong pre-selection (my guess would be the 2D->3D format, aka "FAKE 3D", or Auto3D in which case it isn't seeing a proper 3D SEI signaling in the HDMI transmission input (nor should it if the player doesn't recognize it as 3D which it rarely would).
    Of course, if you are playing via USB stick local to the TV, that means the TV is the player (and HDMI wouldn't enter into it), therefore it is either you have preselected 2D->3D or something similar, or...

Your "3D movie" isn't truly 3D to begin with after all. How do you know it is 3D? What's the title? What is the digital provenance of the file? How do you know you've got the 3D version and not the 2D version (and don't counter with "because it's labeled that way when I downloaded it" or "because there are 2 images side-by-side". As those BOTH could easily have been falsified or just totally improperly prepared, prior to your acquisition of it).

Also, BTW, "wondershare converter" is a VERY POOR app for converting 3D stuff. In fact, for all it's marketing hype including the the terms 3D everywhere, it's actually hard to tell from any of the FAQs that it actually understands 3D at all!

Also, if you don't put the glasses on, a 3D title shown in 3D mode DOES look like it is "2D blurred a bit". Did you put the glasses on or not?

Scott

<edit>Start by posting detailed MediaInfo text readouts of the source (WMV) file and the destination (MP4/AVI) file, and possibly a short length clip of the source.</edit>
    Quote Quote  
  9. What's the resolution of the video? If I remember correctly, my TV won't go into 3D mode unless the "TV" resolution is set to 720p or greater. The same thing happens. The only 3D option it'll give me is the one to convert 2D to 3D. In my case I use a PC as my media player and it's always connected to the TV at 1080p so the video resolution doesn't matter.

When playing video via a USB stick I wonder if the TV decides whether you can enable 3D mode based on the resolution of the video?
    Although I'll confess I just tried mine and it doesn't seem to care. I put a standard definition AVI on an USB stick (720x400) and the TV still happily let me enable SBS 3D mode. That's the most logical reason I can think of for the SBS 3D option not always being available though. You could test it playing a few different videos of different resolutions. They wouldn't need to be 3D as such.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Not weird at all.

Pressing the 3D button engages 3D mode - to the format you have pre-selected in the menu (Auto3D, SbS, TaB/OU, 2D->3D, etc). Sounds to me like you simply have the wrong pre-selection (my guess would be the 2D->3D format, aka "FAKE 3D", or Auto3D in which case it isn't seeing a proper 3D SEI signaling in the HDMI transmission input (nor should it if the player doesn't recognize it as 3D which it rarely would).
    Of course, if you are playing via USB stick local to the TV, that means the TV is the player (and HDMI wouldn't enter into it), therefore it is either you have preselected 2D->3D or something similar, or...

Your "3D movie" isn't truly 3D to begin with after all. How do you know it is 3D? What's the title? What is the digital provenance of the file? How do you know you've got the 3D version and not the 2D version (and don't counter with "because it's labeled that way when I downloaded it" or "because there are 2 images side-by-side". As those BOTH could easily have been falsified or just totally improperly prepared, prior to your acquisition of it).

Also, BTW, "wondershare converter" is a VERY POOR app for converting 3D stuff. In fact, for all it's marketing hype including the the terms 3D everywhere, it's actually hard to tell from any of the FAQs that it actually understands 3D at all!

Also, if you don't put the glasses on, a 3D title shown in 3D mode DOES look like it is "2D blurred a bit". Did you put the glasses on or not?

Scott

<edit>Start by posting detailed MediaInfo text readouts of the source (WMV) file and the destination (MP4/AVI) file, and possibly a short length clip of the source.</edit>
    First of all, yes, my USB stick plugs directly into my TV. Second, I'm nearly 100% certain the file is supposed to be 3D because I do have the 2D version of the file, which is in mp4. I can only seem to find the 3D version in WMV. Of course the file could be damaged in some way or another, so it 3D doesn't work. As for the button on my remote, normally when I press it, I get several options to choose from including SBS and 2D>3D (blurry thing). But when I press it when playing the file on my TV, it just automatically does 2D>3D. Also for wondershare, I just picked a random conversion software that had 3D capability. I also tried something called media converter, gave me the exact same results.

What's the resolution of the video? If I remember correctly, my TV won't go into 3D mode unless the "TV" resolution is set to 720p or greater. The same thing happens. The only 3D option it'll give me is the one to convert 2D to 3D. In my case I use a PC as my media player and it's always connected to the TV at 1080p so the video resolution doesn't matter.

When playing video via a USB stick I wonder if the TV decides whether you can enable 3D mode based on the resolution of the video?
    Although I'll confess I just tried mine and it doesn't seem to care. I put a standard definition AVI on an USB stick (720x400) and the TV still happily let me enable SBS 3D mode. That's the most logical reason I can think of for the SBS 3D option not always being available though. You could test it playing a few different videos of different resolutions. They wouldn't need to be 3D as such.
    This seems like a plausible solution worth trying. Resolution is 768x432, but I have no idea how to change the resolution on my TV.

Thanks for the great help so far guys! I feel like coming closer to a solution every single post I read.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You won't be able to change the resolution of the TV when playing video via it's USB player. It's the one time my TV doesn't display the resolution it's using, but I'd assume it's 1080p and any video played via USB would be upscaled accordingly.

However the TV might still limit the use of 3D according to the resolution of the video. Mine doesn't seem to, but you never know......
    Rather than change the resolution of the TV, I was referring to trying video of different resolutions via USB. ie try a 1080p MKV/MP4 to see if you can enable 3D, then try a 720p video, then something with a lower resolution. The videos you use for testing don't need to be 3D. The TV can't tell.

Another thought..... I live in PAL land so my TV doesn't care. I can enable 3D if the video is 24fps or 25fps etc. Could an NTSC not let you enable 3D for 25fps video?

I'm just guessing.... but you're saying the SBS 3D option simply isn't available when playing the video in question. I'm not aware of MKVs/MP4s etc containing any special "3D" info a TV might require, but logically there's a reason for the SBS 3D option being AWOL. It might take a bit of experimenting to work out what that is.

I just picked a random conversion software that had 3D capability. I also tried something called media converter, gave me the exact same results.
    As you know, for SBS 3D video there's two pictures side by side, but that's it. As far as I know there's no special software required to convert it to another format. You'd just convert it as though it contains a single picture. The software/encoder doesn't need to know it's actually 2 pictures. The same applies to playing SBS 3D video. As far as the TV's concerned it's normal 2D video till you put the TV in 3D mode.
    Well, there are special 3D elements for MKVs and 3D MKVs can use a MK3D extension (instead of MKV) but none of that's required to put your TV into 3D mode manually. Most TVs probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE]

This seems like a plausible solution worth trying. Resolution is 768x432, but I have no idea how to change the resolution on my TV.

Thanks for the great help so far guys! I feel like coming closer to a solution every single post I read.[/QUOTE].

huh ? 3D file with a resolution of 768X432 ????? your file might not be in 3D my friend. 3D is HD unless you are talking about a 3D anaglyph or a poor conversion
    Quote Quote  
  13. This seems like a plausible solution worth trying. Resolution is 768x432, but I have no idea how to change the resolution on my TV.

Thanks for the great help so far guys! I feel like coming closer to a solution every single post I read.[/QUOTE].

huh ? 3D file with a resolution of 768X432 ????? your file might not be in 3D my friend. 3D is HD unless you are talking about a 3D anaglyph or a poor conversion [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the file isn't the best quality I must admit. Not poor, but not HD either.

So anyway, I manage to get the SBS working on my TV by plugging in the USB stick in my ps3 instead of my TV. It then gives me the correct SBS option. Thanks all who posted for your ideas, thoughts and help!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    So anyway, I manage to get the SBS working on my TV by plugging in the USB stick in my ps3 instead of my TV. It then gives me the correct SBS option. Thanks all who posted for your ideas, thoughts and help!
    It probably works using the PS3 because the PS3 is connecting to the TV at 720p or 1080p and upscaling the video. The TV would be happy to go into 3D mode at 1080p. Mind you I've tried downscaling 3D video to standard definition and even if the video quality itself is pretty good, there's not enough picture detail for 3D.

I had a little play with my TVs media player. I discovered when playing video via USB, if I put the TV into 3D mode it automatically stretches it to fill the screen. That's fine if the video is already 16:9, but if it's not.....

My TV's a Samsung. The built-in media players are really good aside from the fact they suffer from aspect ratio retardation. Mine assumes everything has square pixels. Why they have to stretch a wide aspect ratio video (ie 1920x800) to 16:9 when in 3D mode though, I have no idea. Maybe for some players the aspect ratio needs to be 16:9 before they'll let you enable 3D mode? Who knows.......

As a side note....... anyone else own a Sumsung 3D TV?
    Maybe I'm a little slow, but is it obvious you can set the picture options differently in 3D mode? I actually only noticed it today.... although in my defence I've probably only watched 3D video half a dozen times.
    The different picture options.... Standard, Movie, Dynamic.... each can be configured independently (mostly) for each input, but today I realised each input can have individual configurations for Standard, Movie and Dynamic in 2D mode, and also a different configuration for each when you switch to 3D mode. So here's me switching to 3D mode oblivious to the fact I was effectively switching to the factory 3D defaults and wondering why sometimes the 3D picture looked a bit off..... sigh.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    It probably works using the PS3 because the PS3 is connecting to the TV at 720p or 1080p and upscaling the video. The TV would be happy to go into 3D mode at 1080p. Mind you I've tried downscaling 3D video to standard definition and even if the video quality itself is pretty good, there's not enough picture detail for 3D.
    Yeah it was your comment that reminded me that my ps3 has resolution options and is set at 1080p and the upscale option is on. Never really knew what that did until now.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!