VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone give me the dirty on backing up DVD using ISO files vs. using TS folders.

Is one method better than the other or is it a matter of preference. Also, is there freeware available with the option of performing both burns?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly preference, but the ISO backup allows you to burn back to DVD with a larger number of programs, while the Video_TS method requires you use burning software that has video DVD creation/support capabilities.

Free versions of burning software for both.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does one the these methods handle the "layer break" better than the other with DL media?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think the best method for handling layer breaks with Dual Layer media is to use PgcEdit and mkisofs to create the ISO and let it use IMGBurn to burn to the DL media.

I'd recommend ISO.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also would encourage the usage of Dvd Decrypter in Iso mode (Read) and then ImgBurn for Iso write. I find that Decrypter does a great job with the layer break.
    MovieDud
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i output to ISO, simply because i prefer to burn with Imgburn. i find it gives marginally better burn quality than any other burning program ive used and it supports advanced settings for BenQ and/or Plextor drives, such as Solidburn, WOPC etc.

for DVD9 copies, i agree, DVD Decrypter ISO read, then ImgBurn ISO write is the best method. however, since DVD Decrypter isnt updated anymore, you may have troubles with newer movies. this is why i use AnyDVD with DVD Decrypter. a free alternative to AnyDVD, is DVD43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I always use AnyDVD and DVDDecrypter.

There is one thing I always do though incase of conflicts between the 2 tools.I let AnyDVD do all the protection removal and change settings in DVDDecrypter.I set the I/O to ElbyCDIO or SPTI,disable checking for structure protection,disable macrovision,disable region code,CSS ect....

Just to be on the safe side.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote