VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi People!
    I wonder if it is possible to change a DivX's bitrate to make the file smaller.
    I make an example: I downloaded a 750 Mb DivX .avi file. It is too big to fit in just a cd. Can i reduce it to 650 Mb by changing its bitrate?
    And if I can, do I loose only the correspondent bitratelost quality or more?
    And if it's not more, what progam should I use (even if it's more!)

Thanks!
    Aflone ><
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://www.vcdhelper.com/avi2divx.htm

this is a fairly decent guide but for your purposes i would like to make a few suggestions. first select direct stream copy for the audio not full stream process like the guide says. you dont need to alter the sound if it is already divx then the audio has been formatted accordingly and shouldnt need to be changed.

now for the more complicated part, that data rate slider in V-Dub is what will alter the size of your file and the way it is explained in the guide can seem confusing. if you right click on the file and select properties there is a summary tab that has info about the file. now lets say that the summary reports that the file is around 125 Kb/second. then what you do is do 125 times 8 to get 1000. that means that this file was encoded with that slider set to 1000. if you need to reduce the file approximatley 15% in size as you do then you would move that slider to 850 and then reencode the file.
    peace out,
    dumwaldo

AWW MA! you know i'm not like other guys. i get nervous and my socks are to loose.
    Quote Quote