VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ripping some classic cartoons from DVD for my kids to watch in our digital collection and I'm not satisfied with the result. I'm using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to rip our collection into .MP4 which has been fine for everything but cartoons. The cartoons end up with a lot of black lines showing up during motion and it's pretty annoying. Hopefully the attached image will clarify what I am trying to say. The picture on the left is from the ripped .mp4. The right side is the some shot from the DVD playing on the same computer. These lines show up on our Samsung 7100 TV and on kindle tablets as well. I've tried searching the interwebs and reading other posts but I can't follow the jargon. If there is a different format or settings I need to use then I need the baby steps. Thanks.
    [Attachment 50673 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps deinterlacing may help?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Perhaps deinterlacing may help?
    Looks like that did it? Can you explain what deinterlacing is in simple terms?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Cartoons should not be interlaced, they originate from a film strip unless they are from an interlaced analog broadcast video format such as Betacam and converted to DVD as such. My guess is the artifact is happening during the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
    You will be better off ripping in full quality and unwrap the MPEG-2 files from the VOB container, Most modern media players still play MPEG-2 just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. They don't need deinterlacing. They need to be IVTC'd. An untouched sample would be better than the pictures to be sure how to treat it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Many cartoons on DVD are simply transfers from analog video tapes. Almost all (at least older cartoons) were originally "shot" on film then telecined onto tape for broadcast TV. Those tapes are often the source for DVDs. Hence, the proper procedure is usually to inverse telecine.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Oct 2019 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Many cartoons on DVD are simply transfers from analog video tapes. Almost all (at least older cartoons) were originally "shot" on film then telecined onto tape for broadcast TV. Those tapes are often the source for DVDs. Hence, the proper procedure is usually to inverse telecine.
    I saw the option to deinterlace. Inverse telecine however, i'm not sure how that is done. Anyone familiar with WinX Dvd ripper?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Cartoons should not be interlaced, they originate from a film strip unless they are from an interlaced analog broadcast video format such as Betacam and converted to DVD as such. My guess is the artifact is happening during the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
    You will be better off ripping in full quality and unwrap the MPEG-2 files from the VOB container, Most modern media players still play MPEG-2 just fine.
    So it looks like MP4 is MPEG-4 that you are talking about. What's MPEG-2?
    Quote Quote