VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have an old (very old) SONY TV - 1969. It only has an RF ie co-axial aerial socket on the back. No SCART, No composite - absolutely nothing other than the RF input. This set was bought in the UK, which I understand is PAL Type I. I now live in Australia and I'd like to get this TV running. The analogue signal is being turned off in two weeks and I'm aware of this and have bought a digital set top box. This STB only has composite and HDMI outputs. Again, I'm aware of this and I have a composite to RF converter but I'm told that there will still need to be a frequency converter, so that the STB output will be compatible with this UK TV.
    Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason you are using such an old tv?You can get a fairly new tube tv for close to free in most areas with the connections you need.

Try looking for a rf to composite adapter that will work with your setup.
    Last edited by johns0; 15th May 2013 at 02:14.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have to echo what johns0 is saying. You are using a proverbial sledge-hammer to crack a nut.

That vintage 1969 tv could peg it anyday. In fact it could even peg it the moment you plug in these adapters.

More than that even if you get it to work you lose all the benefits of the digital signal. Better now to hedge your bets and invest in a compatable tv.

In fact, you might even have been able to save on the stb as many tv's have the receiver built-in.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    My parents bought me this TV when I was kid in England. It's always been around. I just can't imagine it not being there. I've got it on a wall stand, like an ornament - seems such a waste not to use the TV that I saw the first transmitted episode of Columbo on. It would be so nice if I could get it up and running.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't want it just as a TV. $250 buys a digital TV nowadays - I've had this SONY since new. I saw some of the most iconic TV programs on this set. Ironside, Columbo, 6 Million Dollar Man, Mary Tyler Moore Show etc etc etc. This TV has been with me through thick and thin.
    I owe it big time...
    Quote Quote  
  6. It looks to me like the difference between is PAL B and PAL I is the audio carrier frequency. That's only a matter of the RF modulated signal. I think all you need is an Australian RF modulator. Run composite and left/right audio to the modulator, output of the modulator to the TV. Something like this:

http://www.247deals.com.au/product/1510
    Quote Quote