VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently had a hard drive crash. After going through a system recovery, I am getting everything reinstalled, including my Samsung bluray writer (Model SE-506CB/RSBD). When I plug the bluray writer into a USB port, my computer - and video editing software - won't recognize it. I still have the installation CD, but it doesn't seem to do anything to install the writer. It gives me a menu, including a 'installing software' button and a 'firmware update' button, but both lead to a dead link at tsstodd.com. I have chatted and spoke by phone with various Samsung technical departments, with no success, and I was finally told that Samsung no longer supports this product. I only bought it two years ago, and I see that it's still available to purchase on Newegg and Amazon. Can anyone offer some suggestions or help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What type of PC did you need to rebuild, and which operating system? There was a bug in some motherboards that caused no end of grief with Windows 7 and USB optical drives. Perhaps your specs will jog someone's memory of how to work around this.

Aside from that, Samsung has a peculiar history with optical drives. Their external USB drives tend to be problematic, yet their internal laptop burners are unkillable bulletproof wonders. Even weirder, Samsung laptops often refuse to recognize external USB burners at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have access to another computer you can connect the drive and see if it works.
    BTW, have you tried all the ports on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check the disc folders for a driver. but it should just use the win7 standard cdrom.inf that's included in windows. have you tried a different cable? it is a 10+ year old drive though and it might just be dead now matter how recently you bought it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I plugged the drive into my son's new gaming computer (CyberPowerPC with Windows10), and the drive showed up right away. Then I also plugged it into 'my' computer, this time using a different USB port, and it showed up there as well. It took a minute or so to install, but it's there now. My computer, by the way, runs Windows 7. It's a Dell Inspiron 620S. Not sure what to think of all that, but I'm glad it's working now. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.
    Quote Quote