VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So far I have used app "Smart Cutter for dv and dvb", but it was for h.264.
    I liked that app because I could go frame by frame very easly, and I could mark places where there are commercials and cut them out, and app would join all parts and I would have one video with no comercials, very easily to do.

Now my recordings from DVB-T2 are HEVC, so this app doesn't work for me any more.

I tried avidemux, it's OK but "Smart Cutter" was much better for me.
    Can I do in avidemux like some job list, where I would mark all parts without commercials, and it would cut them and join all parts to one video? Is it possible to do something like that in avidemux, or I have to go one part by one part and do "file - append" to join them.

So, is there some app like Smart Cutter but for HEVC videos?

This is info about my video from dvb-t2 that I wanna cut and join.

Video info:
    Code:
    General
    ID                                       : 10 (0xA)
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\Kristijan\Desktop\xoro rec\record.ts
    Format                                   : BDAV
    Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
    File size                                : 102 MiB
    Duration                                 : 5 min 19 s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 2 692 kb/s
    FileExtension_Invalid                    : m2ts mts ssif

Video
    ID                                       : 1081 (0x439)
    Menu ID                                  : 1008 (0x3F0)
    Format                                   : HEVC
    Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile                           : Main@L4.1@Main
    Codec ID                                 : 36
    Duration                                 : 2 min 11 s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 10 000 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 0)
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Color range                              : Limited

Audio
    ID                                       : 1082 (0x43A)
    Menu ID                                  : 1008 (0x3F0)
    Format                                   : AAC LC SBR PS
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication and Parametric Stereo
    Commercial name                          : HE-AACv2
    Format settings                          : NBC
    Muxing mode                              : LATM
    Codec ID                                 : 17-2
    Duration                                 : 5 min 18 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Maximum bit rate                         : 66.0 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : C
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 23.438 FPS (2048 SPF)
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : -263 ms
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kiki_vg View Post
    I tried avidemux, it's OK but "Smart Cutter" was much better for me.
    Can I do in avidemux like some job list, where I would mark all parts without commercials, and it would cut them and join all parts to one video?
    You're approaching it backwards. Mark and cut all the commercials. What will be left is just the show. Save.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In Avidemux, you cut out the parts you don't want to keep.

You'll need to re-encode if you are not cutting on keyframes.

It's also possible to save (and load) a script project file (.py) that operates on the source video files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You're approaching it backwards. Mark and cut all the commercials. What will be left is just the show. Save.
    OK, I see. Yeah, in Smart Cutter I marked parts that I wanna keep, so in Avidemux is other way around. Thank you.

Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    You'll need to re-encode if you are not cutting on keyframes.
    Oh, true. I do not like that. Keyframes are too far away, sometimes 2 or 5 seconds.
    But I tried with MKVToolNix multiplexing and then put in Avidemux, then keyframes are much better, but I noticed that then audio is very little bit out of sync.

Is there some other program like "Smart Cutter for dv and dvb" where I could cut wherever I wanted right away from original source?
    All I wanna is just cut parts, join them, with no re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kiki_vg View Post
    Is there some other program like "Smart Cutter for dv and dvb" where I could cut wherever I wanted right away from original source?
    All I wanna is just cut parts, join them, with no re-encode.
    It's impossible to do frame precise cuts without re-encoding at least a part of the media.

Many (many...SOOOO maaaaaany) years ago I bought a VideoReDo TVSuite license (it's a proprietary/paid software) and it was quite fine (most of the time, but not always): it had a "smart" cutting system, which re-encoded only the parts of the video where you placed the cuts and only if necessary (not on keyframes).

Anyway... to be 100% sure the resulting file will be always encoded correctly and will result 100% compliant with the specifics of the codec used.. the only way is re-encode it entirely (or cut always on keyframes).

To simply cut on keyframes another fine and nice free software is LosslessCut.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    It's impossible to do frame precise cuts without re-encoding at least a part of the media.

Many (many...SOOOO maaaaaany) years ago I bought a VideoReDo TVSuite license (it's a proprietary/paid software) and it was quite fine (most of the time, but not always): it had a "smart" cutting system, which re-encoded only the parts of the video where you placed the cuts and only if necessary (not on keyframes).

Anyway... to be 100% sure the resulting file will be always encoded correctly and will result 100% compliant with the specifics of the codec used.. the only way is re-encode it entirely (or cut always on keyframes).

To simply cut on keyframes another fine and nice free software is LosslessCut.
    I see.
    I'm curious, people that uploaded shows that were recorded, they have to cut out commercials, right? I guess that's HDTV, PDTV versions.
    So, they re-encoded too?

What would be the best approach for my situation? So I can have good quality.
    My thinking was, cut out commercials, join parts, and have original source with no commercials, no re-encoding. But I guess it doesn't work like that?

It doesnt have to be free software.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious, people that uploaded shows that were recorded, they have to cut out commercials, right? I guess that's HDTV, PDTV versions.
    So, they re-encoded too?

What would be the best approach for my situation? So I can have good quality.
    My thinking was, cut out commercials, join parts, and have original source with no commercials, no re-encoding. But I guess it doesn't work like that?

It doesnt have to be free software.
    The problem is that you can seamlessly join a chunk of a media file with another only from a keyframe to another keyframe. That's simply because only keyframes retain the whole frame information while other frames retrieve informations (while decoding) from the nearest ones.

Quality wise it's always better not re-encode the original material at all. But if you need to remove unwanted parts of the video and cuts have to be frame precise.. there's no other way than re-encoding the whole media to be sure the resulting file will be artifact free and 100% compliant to the specifics of the codec.

Stuff you may find coming from a TV source and with commercials removed has surely been re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    The problem is that you can seamlessly join a chunk of a media file with another only from a keyframe to another keyframe. That's simply because only keyframes retain the whole frame information while other frames retrieve informations (while decoding) from the nearest ones.

Quality wise it's always better not re-encode the original material at all. But if you need to remove unwanted parts of the video and cuts have to be frame precise.. there's no other way than re-encoding the whole media to be sure the resulting file will be artifact free and 100% compliant to the specifics of the codec.

Stuff you may find coming from a TV source and with commercials removed has surely been re-encoded.
    Thank you for explanation.

I tried now VideoReDo trial version. And its working on the same principle like smart cutter. Just what I was looking for. Cut and join parts were really good and smooth, and I do not have to re-encode video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just my 2 cents worth.. Beside beginning at a Key frame, you need to watch where your ending frame is with some cutters, especially those that use FFMPEG as the cutting engine. It can change to ending frames pts times which causes a glitch between joined frames.

For example, cutting a 250 GOP at the 249 mark, returns the following problems.

FPS Duration on final frames too large
    Decreasing Ending Frame to 498

C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\3_0_test.cmd.mp4
    UnSuccessful Cut at Frame 498
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P
    16.566667,B <- 2 FRAMES TIMES TO NEXT FRAME
    16.633333,P
    Decreasing Ending Frame to 497

UnSuccessful Cut at Frame 497
    16.400000,B
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P <- 3 FRAME TIMES TO NEXT FRAME
    16.633333,P
    Decreasing Ending Frame to 496

Successful Cut at Frame 496
    16.366667,P
    16.400000,B
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P <- .033333 BETWEEN EACH ENDING FRAMES
    Just saying, this has been my results.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth.. Beside beginning at a Key frame, you need to watch where your ending frame is
    Yes.. I forgot to explicitly specify this (maybe thinking it was obvious) but both the start and the end of each cut must be on a keyframe to be 100% sure the spliced video will be compliant and with no flaws or potential issues.. when not re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    Yes.. I forgot to explicitly specify this (maybe thinking it was obvious) but both the start and the end of each cut must be on a keyframe to be 100% sure the spliced video will be compliant and with no flaws or potential issues.. when not re-encoding.
    Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth.. Beside beginning at a Key frame, you need to watch where your ending frame is with some cutters, especially those that use FFMPEG as the cutting engine. It can change to ending frames pts times which causes a glitch between joined frames.

For example, cutting a 250 GOP at the 249 mark, returns the following problems.

Decreasing Ending Frame to 498

UnSuccessful Cut at Frame 498
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P
    16.566667,B <- 2 FRAMES TIMES TO NEXT FRAME
    16.633333,P
    Decreasing Ending Frame to 497

UnSuccessful Cut at Frame 497
    16.400000,B
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P <- 3 FRAME TIMES TO NEXT FRAME
    16.633333,P
    Decreasing Ending Frame to 496

Successful Cut at Frame 496
    16.366667,P
    16.400000,B
    16.433333,B
    16.466667,B
    16.500000,P <- .033333 BETWEEN EACH ENDING FRAMES
    Just saying, this has been my results.
    Thank you guys for the tips and explanation.

I use VideoReDO, and it all looks OK, or I think it's all OK.
    I can cut wherever I want with no re-encoding, I choose mkv for output, and all my devices can play that video with no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  12. There is some re-encoding, if you are not cutting on keyframes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    There is some re-encoding, if you are not cutting on keyframes.
    I am not an expert so I am not familiar with these terms, is this real re-encoding or not, but I can very easly cut out parts exactly where I want, and the program does this very quickly, I do not need to wait for some converting or changing codec, resolution, bitrate, format and so on.... my videos are ready almost right away, and I didn't notice any errors when I play video on my devices. It looks all OK, just what I was looking for, fast and simple way to cut out commercials from original source.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    I am not an expert so I am not familiar with these terms, is this real re-encoding or not, but I can very easly cut out parts exactly where I want, and the program does this very quickly, I do not need to wait for some converting or changing codec, resolution, bitrate, format and so on.... my videos are ready almost right away, and I didn't notice any errors when I play video on my devices. It looks all OK, just what I was looking for, fast and simple way to cut out commercials from original source.
    Yes, it's one of those softwares really worth their money (or at least it was when I used it several years ago.. I happily renewed my license 3 times).

It copies the video source as it is.. and re-encodes only the parts where the cut is, from the 2 adjacent chunks of the video you select to keep, trying to match the source bitrate and offer a similar quality.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoRedo is one of my killer apps. 10/10.
    Quote Quote