VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting a Panasonic DMRE55EBS DVD recorder. What's the best way of connecting it to the TV, by scart to scart or using the S-Video output on the DVD recorder? And do i really need a cable with gold connectors? What is everyone else using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what kind of video inputs your TV has. If it has component video inputs, that's the best way to go (they don't have to be expensive). If your TV doesn't have component inputs, the next best thing is to use the S-Video input.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers. Are component video inputs another name for phono or RCA?

So if my TV has phono inputs, S-Video and scart sockets and my DVD recorder has component video inputs, S-Video output and scart sockets, what's the best way to connect them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Coz
    Cheers. Are component video inputs another name for phono or RCA?

So if my TV has phono inputs, S-Video and scart sockets and my DVD recorder has component video inputs, S-Video output and scart sockets, what's the best way to connect them?
    No. That's "composite", and not as good as component or s-video.

I don't know anything about scart, being in the US. But for just viewing I would guess s-video would work dandy, and don't forget you need to use a separate cable for the L and R audio, as s-video is only video
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez, this is so confusing, lol! I have a Sky Digital box and a VCR connected to the TV too. Would i be better off connecting Sky to the TVs S-Video, rather than the DVD recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If i connected the TV to the DVD with the TV S-Video in and the DVD S-Video out, would i be able to record onto the DVD that way, or just watch a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Coz
    If i connected the TV to the DVD with the TV S-Video in and the DVD S-Video out, would i be able to record onto the DVD that way, or just watch a DVD?
    No. You need all sources you plan to record to be attached to an input of the DVD recorder. Outputs go to the TV, and signals don't go from the TV to the recorder ..they're one-way.

Attach your cable or satellite box to the input of the DVD recorder, and an output of the DVD recorder to an input of the TV. Your satellite receiver should also have an output that should go to the TV directly so you don't have to turn on your DVD recorder to watch TV.

By selecting which TV input is active you can either see the satellite broadcast, or the output of the DVD recorder if you're monitoring a recording or using it as a DVD player
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, let me get this right. The Sky is already connected to the TV with a scart lead. So if i decide to use scart leads and connect the DVD to the TV, i should be able to watch a DVD and record on it? And if i connect the Sky to the DVD, i should be able to record from Sky onto the DVD recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Coz
    Ok, let me get this right. The Sky is already connected to the TV with a scart lead. So if i decide to use scart leads and connect the DVD to the TV, i should be able to watch a DVD and record on it? And if i connect the Sky to the DVD, i should be able to record from Sky onto the DVD recorder?
    This might help:

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i think i've finally got it. Thanks alot!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is your DVD recorder an analogue or digital recorder?
    If analog it does not really matter all that much how you connect it. If digital, component video for HD or just the old RCA connectors for SD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's digital.
    Quote Quote