VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...even original DVD through the component output. Not even at 480P! Nothing, I mean black screen. My HD-DVD will so I do have that to fall back on. The HD-DVD upscales any backed up DVD I put in it, so all is not lost.

Any ideas to get the Panny to work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. A lot of devices won't send upscaled DVD to component. Maybe related to this:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic341287.html#1789534
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Understood...but this won't even send 480P. The screen is black.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Black...nothing at all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Scooter_NJ
    Black...nothing at all.
    If it was my player - I'd return it in a heartbeat as defective.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the HDCP future.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your player is a DMP-BD10, then change the 'Component Video Resolution' in the 'Settings menu' to 480p.

The DMP-BD30 will default to 480p automatically over component when DVDs are played which suggests that DVDs are not upscaled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could also be another player that enforces region coding. "Backed up" DVD's are region free. Some players won't play a disc without a region code.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry to hijack the thread, but question for the OP: Do you know if the DMP-BD30 plays xvid or divx (either regular resolution or high resolution)?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thumperstrauss
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but question for the OP: Do you know if the DMP-BD30 plays xvid or divx (either regular resolution or high resolution)?
    Why didn't you just post a new thread rather than hijacking? I'd take your apology to mean you know you shouldn't have done this.

FYI, absolutely NONE of the currently sold BluRay and HD DVD players support ANY Divx/Xvid playback. They also don't support playback of VCD and SVCD. Playback of burnable media on current BluRay players appears to be mostly poor with DVD+/-R not even working on some models and DVD+/-RW not working at all on almost all models.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scooter_NJ
    ...even original DVD through the component output. Not even at 480P! Nothing, I mean black screen. My HD-DVD will so I do have that to fall back on. The HD-DVD upscales any backed up DVD I put in it, so all is not lost.

Any ideas to get the Panny to work?
    You just bought the biggest pos dvd player on the market, and it's overpriced too!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, Lou..I got it gratis!

Look it up, sport!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scooter_NJ
    Oh, Lou..I got it gratis!

Look it up, sport!
    So the trouble came with it gratis too.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Touche!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    It could also be another player that enforces region coding. "Backed up" DVD's are region free. Some players won't play a disc without a region code.
    Is there a hack that can be entered from the remote to get around the region code requirement?

I would be quite happy to get it to play retail DVDs from other regions.

My Panasonic DMP-BD30 player did not come region free out of the box and has a similar problem as the original poster.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would simply have to look for a hack for the player in question as it will likely vary from player to player. Not all players can be hacked, so don't be surprised if you don't find one.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROTCEV
    Is there a hack that can be entered from the remote to get around the region code requirement?

I would be quite happy to get it to play retail DVDs from other regions.

My Panasonic DMP-BD30 player did not come region free out of the box and has a similar problem as the original poster.

Thanks
    We had a post within the past week to 10 days where some Australian guy found out that his BluRay player could be made region free, but only for DVD playback. I believe there were some reports that this hack did not work on models of the player sold in North America. The vast majority of BluRay players cannot be made region free for DVD playback at this time. I've seen a few that had hardware modifications that enabled region 1 and 2 only and zone A and B (zones are the BluRay version of regions in DVD) only playback, but that was all. These players cost something like $300 US above the normal price for the players. I have not heard of any BluRay players at this time that will play BluRay discs from all zones (A, B and C).

Note that since my original post in this thread that there are now a few BluRay players that now support Divx playback, but you should expect such playback to not support HD Divx unless you find reviews where that was specifically tested.
    Quote Quote