VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi every one,

I want to make a vcd with multiple menu i.e., nested menu. plz help me in finding appropriate vcd author/burn software. i hv done it earlier but for the dvd menu and i used DVD architect studio for that.

thanx in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Come on, VCD? Really? Still? Let's try to move on...

Well, if you absolutely have to go that route:

VCDToolkit is the reference standard by which all other VCD software is judged by, but it's a MAJOR PAIN to work with. Best to ignore it altogether. I suggest:

1. Learn the ins- and outs- of VCDImager syntax so you understand what is involved with building a VCD.
    2. Make your menus in Photoshop/Gimp/Paint.net/etc. using 640x480 (assuming working in NTSC-land), then final resize it to 704x480. If you were in PAL-land, start with 768x576, resizing to 704x576. Save to 24bit BMP.
    3. Encode your assets to 352x240/288 MPEG1 video (using VCD/CPB template) and MP2 44.1kHz audio (at 224kbps), and menu assets encoded to 704x480/576 MPEG1 single-I-frame (aka "MPEG Still"),using TMPGEnc or similarly capable app.
    4. Author using VCDEasy (as it's based on VCDImager). There's a freeware version (v1.5.2, IIRC) and a payware version (v.3.1.0). I like the payware version and it's not expensive, but there's only a few things it does that the freeware version doesn't, so you can get by with it if you need to. Export/Burn to a CUE/BIN VCD discimage format.
    5. Burn with ImgBurn. I suggest this, because VCDEasy uses CDRDAO as it's burn engine, which hasn't been updated in a while so there's lots of burners no longer supported, ImgBurn is up-to-date and supports much, much more, and is probably more accurate at burning overall.

That will get you PROFESSIONAL nested menu VCDs. I have done these (way back in the past ~9 years ago) successfully many times for my clients.

Scott
    Quote Quote