VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Sony TV from 2015. In a firmware update they broke a lot of their 3D support.

I've discovered that SOME videos have an internal flag of some sort that triggers the TV's 3D mode even if I have no access to the menu option to turn it on/off.

One such video is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/quo56g1cqmxj725/3DClip.mkv (12.58MB)
    It's a Half Side by Side video. I've looked at it in ffmpeg, mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix, MediaInfo and for the life of me I can't understand what makes it special. SOMETHING there makes the TV say 'Oh, this is 3D'.

It seems to be container agnostic, so I'm assuming it's something that was set in the video encoder.

I'm hoping to figure out what the secret sauce is and a way to turn that flag on in other videos that are similarly 3D but don't trigger the TV's feature.
    Last edited by doctorm; 24th May 2020 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Add 3D flag with MkvToolNix GUI's Header Editor (video track->stereo mode, set to "1" and save)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about stereoscopy set to 'side by side'. That appears to add '--stereo-mode 0:1' to the command-line.
    I've never had luck with that. I still think the flag is in the video track.

The mkv flag tells the media player to change it's GUI to accommodate 3D, but the TV doesn't engage 3D mode. I just get 2D side-by-side playback with a double GUI.

The source was in mp4 format, when I dropped it into MKVToolNix it didn't pre-fill in the stereoscopy setting, and when I remuxed it, it was still 3d.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can you clarify - what is your media player? The TV? a general media player? A bluray player? An HTPC?
    Models #?

There are a number of ways to transmit that signal in a way that auto-engages 3D playback.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The playback device is the TV itself, it's android based. I'm predominantly using Kodi.
    Last edited by doctorm; 28th May 2020 at 02:47.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So there are 'a number of ways' but I suppose they're all a secret?
    Quote Quote