VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I unistalled this Downloader program, I don't understand besides I found the Word Search apps via the Chrome Browser on the T95 Android Box, I was signed into the Gmail to satisfy that aspect of installing and it even said it installed them; yet they are nowhere in the settings or displayed in the installed apps. So I give up on all that until they finally show up in the Google Play specific to this box.

There is a wordsearch website that we can navigate to and play word search in the browser, so perhaps we can be satisfied with just that.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I've been transferring a bunch of stuff to flashdrives for someone recently: this includes a variety of file formats, but heavier on DVD structures and ISOs. Reports are coming back to me that a number of these items either can't be seen at all (the folder shows as being empty), or if seen it does not play or does not play properly. This was first noted for the SkyStream Two, using a recent (Android) version of VLC for playback. I then went and confirmed this here for myself, using my own Sky Two. Followed that up with trials on the Nvidia Shield, also using VLC. With both boxes, I also tried my fallbacks of Archos Player, MX Player, and XYZ Player. (If I knew of any others out there that might be better, I would gladly have tried those too.) Pretty much a consistent 'No Joy' on results. Where I could actually see the files, I'd try to play the first VOB. If it played at all, the speed might be funky, or there was no sound, or other problems. Anything self-recorded was apt to be the worst.

My conclusion: the software players available for Android just plain SUCK ! For one like VLC, it simply does not begin to compare with its Windows counterpart for the PC. I have to reach that conclusion, because these items have no such problems with even much older versions of VLC on the PC. (Some of this may come down to codecs access & support ?)

Now here's where it gets interesting. ALL of this "problem" material plays immediately, easily, and near-perfectly on my old WD Live TV box, which has been off the market for several years now. WD implemented their playback solutions in firmware, so you don't need to mess around with any of these not-so-hot Android software players. And WD got it right ! They may be the only ones to have done so. The few later formats like HEVC / x265 that the WD can't handle, I can deal with those elsewhere. Or convert them.

[In the course of testing the above, I was wondering if Plex might be able to do local playback, but it kept telling me that I had to establish an account before I could do anything with it, so I passed -- at least for now.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 4th Jun 2020 at 17:42.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use an iomega screenplay Hd, which was limited to what formats it could play. I went to a gbox mx2 and then now using a t95z plus. Both did a good job at playing back my video files. My current one supposedly can play back mkv, h264 and h265, as well as avi, wmv, and mp4. I have had no issues using Kodi as a playback device, though sometimes it stutters, and EUMC, a fork of Kodi, does a better job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Android 10 Google Play Store has some new additions including a Word Search Game. Unfortunately it asks for a Gamepad for whatever reason and doesn't work. I also tried a "Jeopardy" game but it wanted a Gamepad and also for you to do stuff with a mobile phone. It just wouldn't works I uninstalled it. I installed "Haystack TV" and it has free News, it seemed to work well. The Android 10 tells you to update certain apps you have installed. It said that TubiTV needed to be updated so I did that. TubiTV is quite nice and it is working well with the box. Hopefully the Lesi Games Word Search shows up soon. I installed a Spade card game and it seems rather fancy but I think it might be a bit too complex for our liking. I installed "Hangman", and unfortunately I lost the first game but it plays well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone is aware of better video player apps for Android than the ones I mentioned in post #212 above, I'd really like to hear of them. I did come across what claimed to be an APK version of Daum PotPlayer, dated from a couple years ago, but its authenticity seemed pretty suspect and I was hesitant to install it.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. My conclusion: the software players available for Android just plain SUCK !
    Most definitely. You have to help it. Using something like OpenELEC , LibreELEC, that can be put on SD card and your media player just boots into them. But you have to watch what chipset your unit has and make sure it is compatible. There are workflows and how to on the web. It is not like buying android unit and using it as media file player out of the box.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Good news and bad news. First the good news they got my Sister a really good tablet better than the one I picked out:

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Lite-64GB/dp/B086WN3DHV

Bad news the ethernet adapter is micro -b and this tablet takes usb-c. So that adapter would not fit. Now I have to send away for a usb-c type. This is no one's fault here I didn't know they were sending for a different tablet and the advice I was given was for the one I thought was coming. So I will put the Adapter in a Gizmo box and maybe someday I can use it for something. Thanks in advance if someone can help me find the right ethernet adaptor for this device.
    Quote Quote  
  8. As for the Android 10 box the CTV Throwback works great, we have spent several hours watching "One Day At A Time" and other classic shows. Still no big selection of word search games and the one that is available wants a game pad hooked up whatever that it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some time ago I said that I would provide some comparative device profiles, and I will now try to upload a 600 dpi scan of the first of these, for the WD TV Live, Gen. 2. [And see post #212, above.] If this exceeds the allowed image size here for an attachment, I can try this as a zipfile, and if that doesn't work I'll have to think of another method. In time, I'd like to upload others of these for the other 5 or so streaming boxes that I own, up through the Sky TWO and Nvidia Shield. Some of those reports are still being completed or revised. Keep in mind that I've written them with explanations geared more to the novice.

In regard to Blu-Ray files, I've tested only some common BD structures that I've seen. (Aren't there some variants ?) Have not tested any AVCHD, as I never really delved into that.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WD Live TV Device Profile (revised).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	54011  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since I find the DVD format / structure -- or an ISO -- to still be quite common (also as found online, as downloads), and find them familiar and highly convenient to work with, an inability to play these back locally from a streaming player box turns out to be a very glaring fault ! Now I'm wondering about the Skystream 3, which had gone to local-playback-only (their proprietary version of Kodi having been dropped entirely), but it may have been replaced by a later model ? The last time I went looking, I couldn't find much mention of the company at all, so I don't know their current status. My Sky TWO got its last update around 8 months ago, I think.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    Good news and bad news. First the good news they got my Sister a really good tablet better than the one I picked out:

Bad news the ethernet adapter is micro -b and this tablet takes usb-c. So that adapter would not fit. Now I have to send away for a usb-c type. This is no one's fault here I didn't know they were sending for a different tablet and the advice I was given was for the one I thought was coming. So I will put the Adapter in a Gizmo box and maybe someday I can use it for something. Thanks in advance if someone can help me find the right ethernet adaptor for this device.
    Maybe this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0837QGZMY/ The description indicates that it works with some Android phones.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Since I find the DVD format / structure -- or an ISO -- to still be quite common (also as found online, as downloads), and find them familiar and highly convenient to work with, an inability to play these back locally from a streaming player box turns out to be a very glaring fault !
    Personally, I hate ISO images. I don't want to waste time wading through menus, etc. But pretty much every Android device can run Kodi -- and Kodi supports ISO images -- at least for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Since I find the DVD format / structure -- or an ISO -- to still be quite common (also as found online, as downloads), and find them familiar and highly convenient to work with, an inability to play these back locally from a streaming player box turns out to be a very glaring fault !
    Personally, I hate ISO images. I don't want to waste time wading through menus, etc. But pretty much every Android device can run Kodi -- and Kodi supports ISO images -- at least for DVD.
    I guess I'm neutral on the subject of ISO images. They do share many of the virtues that made MKV such a popular, universal format: the ability to encapsulate within a single file multiple language tracks and subs, Extras (if they are present), and your disc navigation with ready graphical cues. It may make a difference whether one likes to reproduce the disc itself, vs. just go straight into the movie. If only the latter, wouldn't you have to give up on having chapters ? I have become a fan of the MKVs, particularly for holding Blu-Rays, and as they can accommodate up to a rather large file size. Actually, I don't know that you can have Extras or menus within the single MKV; can't recall any examples of that offhand.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 1st Jul 2020 at 02:07.
    Quote Quote  
  14. MKV's can have chapters. Though, as far as I know, you can't have a visual menu of chapters. You can always rip the extras as separate MKV files. I rarely view extras more than once so I don't bother.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Good news and bad news. First the good news they got my Sister a really good tablet better than the one I picked out:

Maybe this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0837QGZMY/ The description indicates that it works with some Android phones.
    Thank you for this information. I will send an email to the Lady that looks after that funding and explain to her about my Sister's tablet having USB-C and perhaps the funding will cover it. The Lady also said since my Sister is using the Internet I pay for that the funding may cover half of my bill going back to April.

It is a beautiful tablet. I hope though that there will plenty of games to chose from as on my Mom's Android Box there is not much choice. I was thinking Netflix when we set that up should just be on her laptop as the screen is bigger and she does have HDMI output to her TV. My Sister is developmentally delayed she is happy with Solitaire and Word Search type games.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Seeker47: Just throwing in my two cents, I know the display aspects such as menus and such are quite nice, but I have found myself quite content with .mp4 with chapters built in, and subtitles to access if desired. I use MakeMKV to extract and Vidcoder to encode to .mp4 and I have liked the results thus far.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Thank you for this information. I will send an email to the Lady that looks after that funding and explain to her about my Sister's tablet having USB-C and perhaps the funding will cover it. The Lady also said since my Sister is using the Internet I pay for that the funding may cover half of my bill going back to April.

It is a beautiful tablet. I hope though that there will plenty of games to chose from as on my Mom's Android Box there is not much choice. I was thinking Netflix when we set that up should just be on her laptop as the screen is bigger and she does have HDMI output to her TV. My Sister is developmentally delayed she is happy with Solitaire and Word Search type games.
    I wish that I could be more certain about a good USB C network device for Ethernet. The problem is that nearly everyone uses their tablet's built-in wireless internet connection so there are few reviews that mention using Ethernet with an Android tablet. Also, none of the technical specs that I read mentioned which USB standard is implemented for the USB C port on your sister's tablet. I am only certain that it is a USB port and not a Thunderbolt port. However, the USB C network device for Ethernet could potentially provide a faster connection than the Micro USB Ethernet device, assuming the USB C connection is USB 3.0 or USB 3.1.

If you want to try your existing Ethernet adapter with the USB C port on the tablet, there are Micro USB to USB C adapters like this: https://www.amazon.ca/ARKTEK-Adapter-Support-Charging-Samsung/dp/B01M8QTZ8C/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I wish that I could be more certain about a good USB C network device for Ethernet. The problem is that nearly everyone uses their tablet's built-in wireless internet connection so there are few reviews that mention using Ethernet with an Android tablet. Also, none of the technical specs that I read mentioned which USB standard is implemented for the USB C port on your sister's tablet. I am only certain that it is a USB port and not a Thunderbolt port. However, the USB C network device for Ethernet could potentially provide a faster connection than the Micro USB Ethernet device, assuming the USB C connection is USB 3.0 or USB 3.1.

If you want to try your existing Ethernet adapter with the USB C port on the tablet, there are Micro USB to USB C adapters like this: https://www.amazon.ca/ARKTEK-Adapter-Support-Charging-Samsung/dp/B01M8QTZ8C/

Thank you once again. I have to buy some other items from Amazon Canada as my Mom's Windows Vista Laptop has stopped working. For quite a while I was hearing a beep every so often and I thought it was my Sister's laptop making the noise and didn't even think it could be my Mom's laptop as it was in its box. It could be the power supply, it could be the battery or maybe the laptop has reached the end of its life. It would cost a lot to fix it, so I would probably suggest she get a new one. However since she just used it to play Solitaire her Android Box can handle that. I think I will get that adapter to make use of the micro-b but also her funding should be able to get the other and hopefully between the two of them something will work.

I have thought of temporarily enabling wifi on the modem, to get some games installed on my Sister's tablet. She doesn't need to be on the Internet often. I could shut down my computer that I do Internet Banking on while trying to put some Solitaire and Word Search on her tablet. Hopefully it isn't a very complex process and can be set back to disabled again just as easily.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I went to the Bell Website and it had instructions on how to enable the WIFI on the modem. I was able to get my Sister's tablet to access it, and installed several games for her. Jeopardy of course won't work offline but I can uninstall that. I disable the WIFI and hopefully while my Sister's tablet it was on, hopefully the apps didn't steal a whole bunch of data they shouldn't have. I didn't do any online banking at the time, and didn't sign in anywhere but I left the desktop on and had it on the modem page. I just hope that didn't do any harm. It has enough word search, memory match, solitaire games, sudoku and other games to keep her busy.

I am doing a virus scan right now and I think I will set up Malwarebytes Free to do one of its five hour scans tonight. I don't know if I should be comfortable about doing online banking again; but hopefully no harm was done.

Sometimes my brain thinks if I press the wrong button on the computer I will start World War III. Probably I should have shut down this computer and not had it on at the same time as the WIFI was going.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mom's Android 10 TV Box still doesn't have much selection to chose from when it comes to apps. However YouTube app, CTV app and Tubi TV app work well. I don't know why word search puzzle apps are not showing up by the dozen like on earlier platforms. It is rather depressing in that aspect but my Mom is enjoying her Android Box.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mom's Android 10 TV Box still doesn't have much selection to chose from when it comes to apps. However YouTube app, CTV app and Tubi TV app work well. I don't know why word search puzzle apps are not showing up by the dozen like on earlier platforms. It is rather depressing in that aspect but my Mom is enjoying her Android Box.
    I had to get a smartphone a couple of months ago to be able to do curbside grocery pick up during this pandemic. My phone has Android 9 installed. I went to the Google Play Store and found lots of free word search games.

My understanding is that most of the Android TV boxes actually use a standard version of Android designed for smartphones as their OS, not Android TV. (The exceptions to this that I know about are the Xaomi Mi Boxes and NVIDIA Shield TV boxes, which do use Android TV as their OS.) Maybe the version of Android running on your mother's is not well supported by current apps. Also, she may need a keyboard with a touchpad to use phone apps because the smartphone user interface is touch-based
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    My conclusion: the software players available for Android just plain SUCK !
    Most definitely. You have to help it. Using something like OpenELEC , LibreELEC, that can be put on SD card and your media player just boots into them. But you have to watch what chipset your unit has and make sure it is compatible. There are workflows and how to on the web. It is not like buying android unit and using it as media file player out of the box.
    Over on AVSforum, someone suggested a combination of Plex + _____ (something else) for more capable files playback, have to go re-check that. Awhile ago I very briefly started to take a look at Plex, but it required setting up an account with them before anything else could be done. I always hated that, regarding it as a non-starter. In my view, it's like requiring you to fill out forms before you can even walk into a store just to see what they have. For the Roku it was much worse: give them your credit card on file before the device can even be activated. Almost returned it for a refund when I saw that, but decided to make the very rare exception.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Roku doesn't require a credit card number unless you buy something through them. I use two Roku devices and have never given them a credit card number or any other banking information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Roku doesn't require a credit card number unless you buy something through them. I use two Roku devices and have never given them a credit card number or any other banking information.
    Well, that was my experience. Perhaps a different time (not recent) or policy in effect then, or for a different model ? I was not a user of their "stick" product line, and never bought any service or subscription from them.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Mom's Android 10 TV Box still doesn't have much selection to chose from when it comes to apps. However YouTube app, CTV app and Tubi TV app work well. I don't know why word search puzzle apps are not showing up by the dozen like on earlier platforms. It is rather depressing in that aspect but my Mom is enjoying her Android Box.
    I had to get a smartphone a couple of months ago to be able to do curbside grocery pick up during this pandemic. My phone has Android 9 installed. I went to the Google Play Store and found lots of free word search games.

My understanding is that most of the Android TV boxes actually use a standard version of Android designed for smartphones as their OS, not Android TV. (The exceptions to this that I know about are the Xaomi Mi Boxes and NVIDIA Shield TV boxes, which do use Android TV as their OS.) Maybe the version of Android running on your mother's is not well supported by current apps. Also, she may need a keyboard with a touchpad to use phone apps because the smartphone user interface is touch-based
    usually quiet: Thank you for your post. I took a look in the settings today for my Mom's Android Box and it has the following information:

Pixel 2
    Version 10
    Kernel Version: 4.9.170
    Build: 10.1.14

When I click on Update it just hangs.

My Mom has a little mini-keyboard. At the moment she is playing Solitaire, and since she hadn't played it for a week or two it has taken a bit of time to get the feel of that type of keyboard back.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    it has taken a bit of time to get the feel of that type of keyboard back.
    You can always connect a full size keyboard and/or mouse.
    Quote Quote  
  27. jagabo: Thank you for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually quiet: Thank you for your post. I took a look in the settings today for my Mom's Android Box and it has the following information:

Pixel 2
    Version 10
    Kernel Version: 4.9.170
    Build: 10.1.14

When I click on Update it just hangs.

My Mom has a little mini-keyboard. At the moment she is playing Solitaire, and since she hadn't played it for a week or two it has taken a bit of time to get the feel of that type of keyboard back.
    I found a Youtube review for the T95 Allwinner H616 TV box running Android 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ce4jRfqsdA

The T95 has Android TV version 10 installed. This means it uses the Android TV Google Play Store for app acquisition instead of the regular Google Play Store for smartphones, which could explain the lack of word search games in the store. However, the T95 is rooted, which means that in theory you could install some unofficial/unapproved apps that are not normally allowed. ...but the fact that the device is rooted also prevents you from updating the OS in the usual way.

Maybe you could sideload some additional the word search games, but I don't know much about doing that kind of thing. Unfortunately, unlike the NVIDIA Shield, the T95 Allwinner H616 Android TV box doesn't support Widevine DRM or HDCP so your mother won't be able to install apps for commercial streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.

[Edit] I just read another review claiming that Netflix was pre-installed. I don't have one of these boxes so I don't know what is actually true.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Jul 2020 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I just read another review claiming that Netflix was pre-installed. I don't have one of these boxes so I don't know what is actually true.
    The fake Android TV boxes usually have an old version of Netfix installed and will only play standard definition video from Netflix.
    Quote Quote  
  30. As a reminder this is the Android Box I ordered for my Mother:

https://www.amazon.ca/TUREWELL-Allwinner-Quadcore-Mali-G31-Ethernet/dp/B085VTZQSF

I thought it was a pretty good quality box as there were cheaper models but this one seemed to have good specs. But to its credit, YouTube works terrific. The CTV and Tubi TV apps work well as does the Solitaire Game. There is a word search app to chose but it won't launch once you install it. They say you must have a game pad to play it. There was a video the other day with a guy and he was using a mini-keyboard and referring to it as a game pad. It is very weird at times in that there are tiles on the home screen where you place your favorite apps and at times you click on the apps and they refuse to launch you get directed back to the box where you selected your apps from. Sometimes it takes several times to get an app to open. Sometimes I have resorted to going into the settings, finding the app and clicking on "Open" the app.

My Mom uses the mini-keyboard to play solitaire and the method that works best for her is having her thumb over the left mouse button and using a finger to drag on the keypad. The double tap doesn't work as well for her.

There is a Kodi app installed but you can't update it to a newer version. There is even a special button on the remote control to launch Kodi. The apps do have Aptoid TV but if I am remembering correctly it is useless as the platform just won't let you launch anything you seemingly have installed through that method.

I keep thinking many more apps will be added in that are suppose to work with this platform and if they do come it is usually stuff that we are not interested in. It is frustrating and if I ever get another Android Box I am going to have to make more sure I learn a lesson from this experience as to not repeat it. Conversely my Sister has an older Android Box and you have access to install the vast amount of choices you have from the Google Play Store but Tubi TV and the CTV app won't work on it.

Thank you for all the advice I get here, I appreciate it.

I don't worry about 4K output as my Internet seems to only reach about 7 mbps and it can go in and out for whatever reason. So on the high end 720p is enough for me and I don't mind 360p as I watch TV on smaller screens. I never bothered with Netflix as I have read the Canadian selection isn't all that big. We may get Netflix though for my Sister to play on her laptop. She likes a show called "Orange Is The New Black" that is on Netflix.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 18th Jul 2020 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote