VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Using Pinnacle Studio 20, I just finished editing a small movie (animated slideshow from jpg pictures with different resolutions).

I have encoded it in mp4 ultra HD (2.81 GB). The quality is very good (as good as the original jpg files).

I also would like to give it on DVD. If I use Pinnacle (using best quality for DVD), the files generated in the "VIDEO_TS" directory weighs 1.08 GB and the quality is much worse than the mp4.

Not seeing how to improve the result with Pinnacle, I then looked for a way to re-encode my mp4 to DVD.
    I did several trials with XMedia Recode, but all give a very poor quality until now.

Would anyone have advice
    • either to improve quality from Pinnacle
    • or on how to re-encode my mp4

Thank you in advance and excellent weekend.

Fab
    Last edited by Fab117; 10th Jun 2017 at 04:06. Reason: Added: ultra HD
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go back to your original project and output it as DVD or DVD compatible mpeg2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    Thank you for your interest.
    With Pinnacle ?
    I used those parameters:

But the result is really bad compared to mp4 :

Regards,

Fab
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not familiar with Pinnacle's software, but just as a general comment: the DVD video format is not capable of "Ultra HD" resolution. Any path you take to converting this MP4 into a standard dvd that can be played on standard dvd hardware will be downconverted to a resolution supported by the 1997 dvd spec. Not saying you can't somehow make a decent dvd from your slide show, but limitations of the format may prevent it being exactly as good as your original.

Perhaps you can just burn data dvds of your original MP4, and give those out instead? Or get a few cheap 4GB thumb drives, copy the file to them, and give out those? Anyone with a blu-ray player should be able to play your MP4 straight-up as-is in full resolution. Everyone else can just play it on their computers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're source is 3840x2160 and you're making a 720x576 DVD from it. Of course you're losing image quality. DVD doesn't support HD video. 720x576 is the max.

Many people will have problems playing 10 bit 3840x2160 h.264 MP4 file. Make an 8 bit 1920x1080 version if you want others to be able to play your video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Fab117 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for your interest.
    With Pinnacle ?
    I used those parameters:
    Great....now use "DVD".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you all for your time.
    I better understand the limitation.
    I'll use USB keys.