VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I am having some trouble with adjusting the levels on my VHS captures.
    I tried AutoLevels and AutoAdjust and in most cases I like their results on the brightness, but in some cases the Red color has some horrible uniform patches. This I sometime see on Green as well, but much more rarely than on Red.

In the pictures below, the problem is on the girl's cheek. If I look at it from below the monitor, it looks horrible. If I look from above it looks ok. This is weird also.
    The first picture on the left is original captured video, the middle picture is AutoLevels and right picture is AutoAdjust.
    [Attachment 48224 - Click to enlarge]

I have attached a short video sample and the script I used to test the adjusts.

Do you have any suggestion on how to fix this ?

Thanks a lot,
    Andrei
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I wouldn't make adjustments based on the defects of your monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ghiga_andrei View Post
    In the pictures below, the problem is on the girl's cheek. If I look at it from below the monitor, it looks horrible. If I look from above it looks ok. This is weird also.
    Display panels have a limited vertical viewing angle. They are optimized for viewing straight-on and from slightly above. It's unsurprising that your monitor looks bad from below.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In addition to the well-known problems of viewing angles changing the contrast and color, you should also only adjust colors after your monitor has been calibrated. If you are doing color adjustments on an un-calibrated monitor, then you are going to create a huge mess. Most monitors are way off -- not even close.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the answers.

If you have calibrated monitors, may I ask if the pictures look ok from your point of view? (pun intended).
    I guess my laptop screen is garbage because there it looks horrible.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote