VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The remastering of this Blu-Ray seems to have changed it's look pretty drastically to me when compared to the DVD version. One thing in particular being all the solid bright white appears gone and or turned more yellow or grayish. Most visible to me in eye color.

Can I get the whites to look brighter white again or has it been altered too much for the new source?

DVD

Blu-Ray

Blu-Ray (1920x1080)

Last edited by killerteengohan; 6th Jan 2019 at 22:30. Reason: Added images
    Quote Quote  
  2. White balance and gain, something like:

Code:
    darks = ColorYUV(off_u=-2, off_v=1)
    brights = ColorYUV(gain_y=25, off_u=7, off_v=1)
    bmask = ColorYUV(gain_y=90, off_y=-35)
    Overlay(darks, brights, mask=bmask)
    [Attachment 47764 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow that actually looks pretty decent for that one image.

Does the overall video of the Blu-Ray look too dark to you? I think it kind of looks too dark.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Does the overall video of the Blu-Ray look too dark to you? I think it kind of looks too dark.
    By dark, what do you mean? Do you mean the blacks are crushed or highlights are dark? I don't think it looks too dark. Have you tried viewing the images on another monitor/tv/phone? It could be your monitor not outputting it 1:1. A good test would be on Lagom and seeing if your contrast and gamma are correct. Are you able to see two different colors on the girl's hair in the first and second screenshot?

The color does look a bit tinted yellow and the highlights are not as bright as they could be. autolevels should work I think on scene changes. You could also try to get Gray_Balance to work and if all of the shots are tinted the same it would fix the color. I get an error though when running the script saying "SmoothCustom does not have a named argument "smooth"" which could need an older version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Certainly, the BD's peak brightness is lower on the sample images. And its whites are slightly yellowed. But maybe that's closer to the film source?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Certainly, the BD's peak brightness is lower on the sample images. And its whites are slightly yellowed. But maybe that's closer to the film source?
    I notice that too. Both though should be an easy fix if the levels/colors are the same across the entire file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by camjac251 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Certainly, the BD's peak brightness is lower on the sample images. And its whites are slightly yellowed. But maybe that's closer to the film source?
    I notice that too. Both though should be an easy fix if the levels/colors are the same across the entire file.
    My point is that they may not require a fix (though I already gave one). They may be the actual intent of the maker.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My $0.02, maybe it's just my eyes getting older, but the brighter image hurts my eyes and looks unrealistic (ironic for an anime) to me. Especially in the images with the bookshelves and the trees in the background which takes my focus away from the main character.

Also as jagabo stated, the darker image may be the creator's intent. I have both my primary and secondary TV tweaked for a pitch black room and when I'm fiddling with something in the room with the lights on, the picture looks dull and washed out, but when I turn off the lights, I can see it as it's meant to be seen.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Warm tone may be used intentionally - it is quite common to change white temp or even more complicated to color mapping between some scenes or parts of film - for example Matrix series use different tonal maps for parts going in real vs matrix world - https://www.slideshare.net/AyeshaAmbreen/color-psychology-vs-perception/5-The_Matrix_Real_World_vs .
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I used to do graphics work, I used to think whites should always be bright, but especially when printed, pulling down the brightness a few notches actually made the other colors stand out more.

I've posted this before, but I think it fits with what others are saying. A while back, I watched a horror film set primarily in a morgue and at first was put off by the large number of scenes in the dark. Then, one scene has the main character standing in corner and it suddenly dawned on me that the director intended her to be barely noticeable. If adjusted the brightness any higher or was watching in a bright room that effect would have been lost.
    Quote Quote