VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have successfully done a lot of captures using Avermedia's provided software for their CE310B SD capture card.
    It seems to work well and output's very stable captures. Anyone who wants a cheap PCI-E SD capture card (about $60 USD) should check it out.

I want to now use VirtualDub for capturing and there are issues, and a lot of options. Display panes disappearing during capture so you cannot see anything, audio sync out e.t.c

But the main problem is when using VDub to trim the running time afterwards. With Avermedia captures, in the resulting AVI each frame has a [K] - meaning its a keyframe. I'm not sure what this does, but you can click to any point on a 50GB AVI and VDub will immediately view that frame.

But with captures done with Virtualdub itself, each frame is []. No K, and Virtualdub itself wants to 'decode' every single frame you try and view, creating a laggy mess when trying to do any sort of simple editing. Also I note that media players are also lagging when clicking at different points of the running time (on these Vdub captured avi's).

What have I done wrong in Virtualdub capturing that would output an AVI like this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. What Operating system are you using ? Windows10 by any chance.
    2. Upload to here a mediainfo text-mode report of both the avi created with the card's software and by vdub
    Quote Quote  
  3. Windows 10 Pro - clean install for the capturing.

Mediatext for the normal file

General
    Complete name : C:\capture-normal-by-avermedia.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 5.36 GiB
    Duration : 4 min 35 s
    Overall bit rate : 167 Mb/s
    Writing library : VirtualDub2 build 44282/release ##this is just here because I used vdub2 to snip this file down for a fair comparison.

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : YUV
    Codec ID : YUY2
    Codec ID/Info : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
    Bit rate : 166 Mb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 15.981
    Stream size : 5.31 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings : Little / Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 50.4 MiB (1%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

Mediatext for the laggy file

General
    Complete name : C:\capture-laggy-by-vdub.avi
    File size : 5.76 GiB
    Duration : 4 min 55 s

Video
    Codec ID/Info : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 16.000
    Stream size : 5.71 GiB (99%)

Audio
    Stream size : 54.2 MiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration : 10 ms (0.25 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 410 ms
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A fair comparison is not important here. By snipping with vdub may have altered the original 'good' capture since there is no appreciable difference between the two.

According to the avermedia site, this card captures 'uncompressed' avi or wmv. Both captures are uncompressed. Uncompressed capture in vdub is not really practical so you should use a lossless codec such as Lagarith or Huffyuv. The only other thing that the card does with its own software is to output progressive video against more 'normal' interlaced video.

But also ensure that you are using the most up-to-date driver for your card and not rely on one that Windows allocates. That being said, the latest driver appears to be dated 2017 and Win10 has gone under many a transformation since then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually with Virtualdub, for lossless source, set the video mode to "direct stream copy" then save the file
    Quote Quote  
  6. I WANT to output uncompressed AVI, because I am doing various filtering and deinterlacing with Staxrip afterwards. And yes of course I know to direct stream copy when cutting an avi with Virtualdub. I am a noob but not that much of a noob!

There is something I am doing wrong with using Virtualdub for capturing, despite using Lord Smurfs guide. Maybe its the Avermedia card itself.

Davexnet I have even tried using your timings settings you posted.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's going back a bit! I haven't captured analog for almost 10 years. My own Avermedia capture card is in an anti-static bag in the closet somewhere.
    I think I've seen the [] before but I can't remember the significance of it. Have you tried Amarectv for capture?
    Also I would suggest the UT codec vs. uncompressed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to eliminate the possibility of corruption done to the original card software capture I would still like to see the media info report of that 50 gb capture.

But, honestly, your rationale in capturing uncompressed just does not stand up with current lossless codecs. Your quoted bitrate is 166 Mb/s. I did a short huffyuv sample a few days ago and that was a little over one-quarter of that at 42.7 Mb/s. And I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. And you can do all you want to do with this and with no data loss until the final encode to a delivery format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just one thing about vdub and capture whatever compression you choose. Turn of 'Enable Audio Playback' from the Audio menu. Less chance of dropping frames and at 166 Mb/s that could be severe.

So just as a test I did an uncompressed capture. Bitrate matches the mediainfo report. And all frames are Key frame.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But, honestly, your rationale in capturing uncompressed just does not stand up with current lossless codecs. Your quoted bitrate is 166 Mb/s. I did a short huffyuv sample a few days ago and that was a little over one-quarter of that at 42.7 Mb/s. And I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. And you can do all you want to do with this and with no data loss until the final encode to a delivery format.
    I will definitely look into this huffyuv that everyone is always talking about, as these uncompressed AVI's are huge.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just to eliminate the possibility of corruption done to the original card software capture I would still like to see the media info report of that 50 gb capture.

It does seem normal. Avermedia's software splits each piece into 40GB sizes as they are created.

General
    Complete name : M:\crows\1_20210606_151743.avi
    File size : 40.0 GiB
    Duration : 34 min 12 s

Video
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 15.997
    Stream size : 39.6 GiB (99%)

Audio
    Stream size : 376 MiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration : 10 ms (0.25 video frame)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Yes. The report is consistant.

Well ANY file-splitting (most will remember the 2/4 gb split pre NTFS) is a PITA

Also, if vdub does not work for you then, as also advised, do try AmarecTV
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by agisthos View Post
    I WANT to output uncompressed AVI, because I am doing various filtering and deinterlacing with Staxrip afterwards.
    No you don't, you want lossless (lagarith,huffyuv, utvideo codec) because uncompressed (RGB) 1: takes LOTS of space 2: is VERY slow to load in software 3: Takes all your RAM space
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote