VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok guys and gals, my HP laptop took a terrible fall. So needless to say it is not working anymore. The touch screen is toast and its barely hanging onto the base. When I opened up the computer the SSD drive had come loose so I put it back into place but it is loose even when screwed into place. I hooked it up to my TV with a HDMI cable and it will run for a short period of time but then locks up. I think something on the motherboard is broken and causing it to freeze when it is moved around.

Here is my question: How can I remove the SSD and HDD drives and retrieve the data? the SSD was the boot drive.

I am pretty sure I can get the HDD with an adapter that I have but unsure how to work with the SSD. Please take note that I am not that experienced with SSD since this was my first one.

Got any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    get one of those USB to sata adapters - https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-2-5-SATA-III-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Cable-UASP-SATA-to...AAAOSwgtVfMxgm works for both 2.5 inch SATA and SSD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    get one of those USB to sata adapters - https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-2-5-SATA-III-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Cable-UASP-SATA-to...AAAOSwgtVfMxgm works for both 2.5 inch SATA and SSD.
    since it is a boot drive what do i need to worry about if anything?

thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't have it hooked to your backup computer when you boot it. Just plug it in after you've logged in and on the desktop.

I strongly suggest you copy everything of your personal data files that you think you'll need, onto a backup medium. But don't bother copying the old OS files, apps & supporting files (like settings), just reinstall.
    After it has been dropped, I strongly would NOT recommend continuing to rely on that original medium, even if it appears to be currently operating ok.

Most SSDs are SATA, but some newer ones are M2. You will need different adapters if the ssd is different than the hdd.

For your adapter, go with something that supports FAST transfer - usb3, thunderbolt, etc. Ubs2 will be too slow for comfort.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Dec 2020 at 22:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bballnut View Post
    I am pretty sure I can get the HDD with an adapter that I have but unsure how to work with the SSD. Please take note that I am not that experienced with SSD since this was my first one.Got any ideas?
    For the SSD the same way as for the HDD. Maybe the disks are good. Check them with CrystalDiskInfo.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Don't have it hooked to your backup computer when you boot it. Just plug it in after you've logged in and on the desktop.

... Most SSDs are SATA, but some newer ones are M2. You will need different adapters if the ssd is different than the hdd.

For your adapter, go with something that supports FAST transfer - usb3, thunderbolt, etc. Ubs2 will be too slow for comfort.

Scott
    NOTE: ONLY go for USB3.? or Thunderbolt if the machine you're connecting the adapter with the old SSD or HDD attached actually has USB3 or Thunderbolt sockets! USB3 device may well work in a USB2.0 socket unless it needs more current than the USB2 socket can supply. (Shouldn't be a problem - I think - with the SSD but might be with the HDDs) If you can, I'd try and get an adapter/external drive case with the two USB plugs to ensure that you can supply enough power to the HDDs. (Not sure if they make them for USB3 devices?)
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So your laptop has a ssd as boot device AND a hdd drive?
    If the laptop was on when you dropped it, the hdd might be broken, if it was off you might be lucky to retrieve the data from it.

What kind of adapter do you have?
    Like others suggested a sata to usb cable would be a option, or a external hdd enclosure with usb should work fine either.

Or connect it to a sata connector on a desktop pc (yours or somebody else) Make sure the desktop pc is off, connect the sata and power cable, power up the system. You should be able to copy data from your disk to a usb thumbdrive
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

... Most SSDs are SATA, but some newer ones are M2. You will need different adapters if the ssd is different than the hdd.

Scott
    NOTE: ONLY go for USB3.? or Thunderbolt if the machine you're connecting the adapter with the old SSD or HDD attached actually has USB3 or Thunderbolt sockets! USB3 device may well work in a USB2.0 socket unless it needs more current than the USB2 socket can supply. (Shouldn't be a problem - I think - with the SSD but might be with the HDDs) If you can, I'd try and get an adapter/external drive case with the two USB plugs to ensure that you can supply enough power to the HDDs. (Not sure if they make them for USB3 devices?)
    Data-wise, USB3 would work backward-compatible with USB2 ports.
    But I would STRONGLY recommend that regardless of whether you had USB3, USB2, Tbolt, or whatever, that you use a separate, external Power Supply to power the drive+adapter and NOT rely on bus-power. PS-related issues are common with USB data transfer corruption (even see other threads on this site).
    Many of the SATA->USB adapters that I have used come with external PS'es.

@jan5678, must make sure if connecting directly via SATA that one specifies correct boot drive in bootup. Otherwise it MAY try to boot from the (corrupt?) new drive, and then, even if it isn't corrupt, it will have a very good chance of crashing and corrupting due to it booting into an entirely new set of hardware (that it would have to acquire drivers for first before working properly). Big caveat there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. The SSDs generally use a lot less power than most mechanical HDDs - even the 2.5" ones - so I wouldn't expect any power issues there. But the number of 2.5" mechanical drives that still struggle whilst being powered through one USB2 plug is surprising. So, if he's going to be connecting via a USB2 device then I'd try to make sure that it wouldn't be an issue - especially if he's buying an adaptor or enclosure for the job. If he goes for an external power supply then make sure that it's either for a SATA drive or that he has a 4-pin molex to SATA power adaptor cable. If he's connecting via a USB3 socket and has a USB3 to SATA adaptor or drive enclosure then he'll probably be OK.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    okay folks I have got the drives removed and recovered my data. So now a new question, I am thinking about doing a new build with the Processor. (if still good)
    The computer was a HP pavilion laptop 15-cc6xx and had a Intel core i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz.
    Can I start a build using this processor? Also, can I use the memory? I was thinking I could try them and if they are not working I can order new memory. I am able to clone boot drive so that is plus.

Please keep in mind that I have never done a build. How do I figure out which case, Motherboard, etc to order?
    any advice and opinions or guides to do this are appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The socket required for the Intel core i5-8250U CPU is FC-BGA1356. "BGA" (Ball Grid Array) means the CPU is soldered to the motherboard and can't be removed and reused.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Feb 2021 at 21:26.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The socket required for the Intel core i5-8250U CPU is FC-BGA1356. "BGA" (Ball Grid Array) means the CPU is soldered to the motherboard and can't be removed and reused.
    Thank you.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can probably re-use the memory in a certain type of desktop build. There are small form-factor computers that use laptop memory. I don't know what the specs are for the memory that you have so I can't tell you what SFF kit would work with it.

Some examples of SFF kits: Intel NUCs, ASRock DESKMINIs, and the ASUS PN50-BBR031MD. More recent Intel NUCs and the ASUS PN50-BBR031MD include a pre-installed laptop processor but need memory, drives, and an operating system plus a keyboard, mouse, and display. The ASRock DESKMINIs also require installing a processor.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

I look into this. It gives me another option to salvage some of the broken computer.
    Quote Quote