VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    In my country, Brazil, and especially in my region, Amazon, there are several types of fungi and insects that make this magnet tape all ''molesy''. After treat all this problem on the tape to convert, I usually take the ''cases'' out and keep it like this inside bags. But I wanted to do better, a vacuum seal. Would it be a good idea for this to be preserved for many years to come?

[Attachment 65993 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 65994 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the vacuum will not deform the reels the tape is on….
    that piece of tape looks already far gone… mould would usally be only on the top of the edge of the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think silica gel packets would help more than vacuum sealing would.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    if the vacuum will not deform the reels the tape is on….
    that piece of tape looks already far gone… mould would usally be only on the top of the edge of the tape.
    I've treated several of these tapes that were totally like this, some even with an extra layer of bolt rust. But after the treatment dipped in water and neutral detergent and left there for 3, 4 hours and drying, the video was there.

Now, instead of going back to the case, I keep it in these little bags.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    there are several types of fungi and insects that make this magnet tape all ''molesy''.
    The last thing you want is for the tape to be all "molesy"... whatever that is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    there are several types of fungi and insects that make this magnet tape all ''molesy''.
    The last thing you want is for the tape to be all "molesy"... whatever that is.
    Yes... Bad translation from the google, but i meant kind of ''messy'', well I don't know what kind of word i should say for ''smeared by fungi and insect chemicals''.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Mouldy
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We've had this type of thread of moldy vhs cases for years usually from brazil and i have never seen or heard about this from any other place anywhere,might this be from that person here that got banned for making these weird type of threads?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Well, it could be a genuine Brazil problem given the heat, humidity, and Amazonian insects! I have only ever seen mold on the edges of the tape pack, though, and have used peroxide to wipe it off. Sealing up the tape is not a bad idea if it is clean and dry. Then put it in a refrigerator or freezer to slow down binder decomposition.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you wanna keep your vhs tapes you put them in a cool place,there's no way mold can get to them then,mold can attack anything so why isn't there more threads on computers developing mold.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    We've had this type of thread of moldy vhs cases for years usually from brazil and i have never seen or heard about this from any other place anywhere,might this be from that person here that got banned for making these weird type of threads?

I have friends all over Brazil, from São Paulo and Rio either. They also never find this kind of ''chemistry'' scattered on the tape. It seems that it is only here in the Amazon region.

And it's not mold, it's a type of oil, oily stains on the tape, I've already taken it to a university, I've been told that it's chemicals from insects and fungi.
    Last edited by Caius; 30th Jul 2022 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fungi is mold,its just a paranoid mold post that we get from time to time about vhs tapes being attacked.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Fungi is mold,its just a paranoid mold post that we get from time to time about vhs tapes being attacked.

Yes, there are molds too, but these molds come off without any problems in my polish. Now these oily stains penetrate the magnetic, they don't come out, even if I run the polisher 100 times, they only come off the tape if I soak it in water along with a neutral product for about two hours or more. Sent a vídeo about how I do.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'd start with proper air conditioning installation with plasmacluster function in place you live.
    Take a look at e.g. Sharp devices. It will cost you but it's proper way of doing things, not only for videotapes but for every thing prone to mould or fungi etc
    Quote Quote