VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 35
FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Unfortunately the Hi-Fi audio is affected. I just haven't played around with this enough to try fixing it. After adjusting video head-switching, the VCR automatically switches to the adjustment for Hi-Fi audio head-switching. Ideally, an oscilloscope would be used (which I don't have).
    Maybe something like this:
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc/ADALM2000/7019661
    https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k/scopy
    You can try out the scopy GUI without the HW to check if it meets your purpose for an oscilloscope.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by peppi001 View Post
    I think this is the problem with the sample that I posted earlier for cvbs-decode.

[Attachment 64827 - Click to enlarge]

Maybe some filter can help to remove this. What do You think?
    The only way to fix that is to isolate the source of the RF noise. Are you using a well shielded composite video cable? Is there a wifi router, wifi adapter, or phone nearby that could interfere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Unfortunately the Hi-Fi audio is affected. I just haven't played around with this enough to try fixing it. After adjusting video head-switching, the VCR automatically switches to the adjustment for Hi-Fi audio head-switching. Ideally, an oscilloscope would be used (which I don't have).
    You can try out the scopy GUI without the HW to check if it meets your purpose for an oscilloscope.
    That's an intriguing USB oscilloscope option. For some reason I've never seen anyone else mention it! Thanks for the links, Sharc.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Has anyone tried vhs-decode on an M1 Mac running Asahi Linux? I'm curious about the performance. These processors are very competitive to x86 running Mac OS. With Linux that performance is considerably better yet.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post

The normal issue with PC Digital Scopes is that they don't usually support continuous, lossless, sample streaming (some of the £££ Picoscope USB 3.0 models do), and instead sample to local RAM on the Scope interface, for slower off-loading to the PC for display, so they sample a chunk of signals (based on the trigger mode used), then ignore a bunch etc.

If that model does support continuous sampling streaming at ~30MS/s for long periods of time with no dropped samples - it could be interesting. But every other £200 model we've seen is based around the buffered burst sampling system.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by nogginvid View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post

The normal issue with PC Digital Scopes is that they don't usually support continuous, lossless, sample streaming (some of the £££ Picoscope USB 3.0 models do), and instead sample to local RAM on the Scope interface, for slower off-loading to the PC for display, so they sample a chunk of signals (based on the trigger mode used), then ignore a bunch etc.

If that model does support continuous sampling streaming at ~30MS/s for long periods of time with no dropped samples - it could be interesting. But every other £200 model we've seen is based around the buffered burst sampling system.
    I don't know its limits for continuous sampling. The memory depth can be selected in predefined steps depending on time base setting and ranges from 1600 samples to 800k samples @100MS/s. I have not verified all settings, as the continuous lossless sample streaming over longer periods has not been an issue for my applications so far.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here's a good analogy for impedence matching. If you're ever driving down the highway and roll down your driver side window, the air may oscillate inside the cabin. There is negative pressure drawing air in following by positive pressure pushing it out. This is a reflection of air pressure. But you if you roll down your passenger window the same amount, the oscillation stops.

The wind is the RF signal, and your driver and passenger side windows are the input and output impedence. If the resistance on both ends doesn't match, you will get oscillations (ringing) and reflections, and non-ideal voltage/pressure on the output end.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here's another one-off VHS exclusive pickup of mine, I'll capture and upload the RF and decoded video to Archive.org soon.

Quote Quote  
  9. I pushed an update that changes some things a bit recently.

Disabled brightness clamping as it seems to be prone to causing flicker on some tapes, especially macrovision (and the associated -noclamp option). The old behaviour can be turned on by using
    Code:
    --clamp
    Also tweaked the filtering for vhs a bit (doubled up the 3 (NTSC) / 3.5mhz (PAL) low-pass filter), which should help reduce ringing (and slightly soften the image) a tad.

There is also a lot of work being done on ld-analyse at the moment. It can now load both chroma and luma at the same time to preview color + image (done by mixing them at the moment so won't look 100% like the final output fron running the gen_chroma_vid.sh script.) Others are also working on adding a vectorscope and some other tweaks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Also tweaked the filtering for vhs a bit (doubled up the 3 (NTSC) / 3.5mhz (PAL) low-pass filter), which should help reduce ringing (and slightly soften the image) a tad.

There is also a lot of work being done on ld-analyse at the moment. It can now load both chroma and luma at the same time to preview color + image (done by mixing them at the moment so won't look 100% like the final output fron running the gen_chroma_vid.sh script.) Others are also working on adding a vectorscope and some other tweaks.
    Interesting! I'll try that and mess with the sl flag again to see if I can get a bit more sharpness without the ringing. The McDonald's video has both FMV and animated scenes which will help me with analysis.

And glad to see work done on ld-analyse after not much done with it the last few years.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 10th Jun 2022 at 09:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm having an issue building the latest commit.

Code:
    install -d "/usr/local/bin"
    install -m755 ld-ldf-reader "/usr/local/bin"
    if [ -z "" ]; then \
    	python3 setup.py install --prefix="/usr/local"; \
    else \
    	python3 setup.py install --root="" --prefix="/usr/local"; \
    fi
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "setup.py", line 4, in <module>
        from Cython.Build import cythonize
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'Cython'
    make: *** [Makefile:55: install-python] Error 1
    So I installed the C-Extensions for Python using

Code:
    pip install Cython
    Which was successful, but I'm still getting the error when building.
    Quote Quote  
  12. right I should have also mentioned that, cython is now a dependency.

Not sure why it wouldn't work after installing Cython via pip, does it work if you install like this (provided you are on ubuntu/debian or derived)
    Code:
    sudo apt install cython3
    ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by oln View Post
    right I should have also mentioned that, cython is now a dependency.

Not sure why it wouldn't work after installing Cython via pip, does it work if you install like this (provided you are on ubuntu/debian or derived)
    Code:
    sudo apt install cython3
    ?
    Yes, that worked. Thanks. I'm on Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu based. I think Cython was installed for my base Python version, which is really old. So I'm guessing I'll need to use python3 in my command line from now on. Which I was doing a couple of years ago anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. As expected, the double filtering is a bit softer. I personally don't mind the ringing as it seems others have removed it in post production. For my personal use, the extra sharpness is preferred. Is there a flag or adjustment to the code I can make to disable the double filter, while still keeping the brightness clamping turned off? The brightness change is most welcomed. And the performance is better!
    Last edited by Titan_91; 12th Jun 2022 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Not yet, can add it though. For now you can temporarily comment/delete the lines that add it in vhsdecode/process.py to disable it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks again. I'm not trying to be critical, just making observations. I realize getting this process even closer to VHS spec is getting more tricky. We appreciate your time and effort.

I'd say this project's main weakness at the moment is the ringing for sure. And I'm still not sure what causing it. But it doesn't bother me that much.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 12th Jun 2022 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I put this on a very silly pedestal on Archive.org if anyone is interested.

https://archive.org/details/scaredsilly-rfcapture
    Last edited by Titan_91; 14th Jun 2022 at 21:50.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Someone was asking about the software process I follow.

Hardware process is here if you want to look back:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394168-Current-status-of-ld-decode-vhs-decode-(tru...28#post2645340

1. Use older capture PC to capture with dd to internal hard drive using BS=1M parameters for a 1MB block size with Conexant PCI card and CXADC. Nothing fancy.
    2. Copy the resulting .r8 file using a large flash drive to my main PC.
    3. Run VHSresamp40to16.grc in GNU Radio Companion to low pass filter and resample the overclocked 40MSPS .r8 file to a 16MSPS .r8 file (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394168-Current-status-of-ld-decode-vhs-decode-(tru...29#post2653660).
    4. Compress the resampled file with FLAC using flac --best --sample-rate=16000 --sign=unsigned --channels=1 --endian=little --bps=8 -f capture-resampled.r8
    5. Verify the .FLAC file's integrity using flac -t capture-resampled.flac
    6. If that's successful, change vhsdecode/format_defs/vhs.py to reflect rfparams["deemph_gain"] = 12 and RFParams_NTSC_VHS["video_bpf_low"] = 1500000.
    7. Also change process.py to reflect #if self.options.double_lpf: and #self.Filters["FVideo"] *= filter_video_lpf. This disables the double RF filtering to preserve sharpness.
    8. Decode the result using ./vhs-decode -n -t 15 -f 16 --recheck_phase capture-resampled.flac capture-resampled.
    9. Then rasterize the result to a lossless FFV1 compressed MKV file using ./gen_chroma_vid_ntsc.sh capture-resampled.

Finally, if it's personal home videos I store the FLAC files and decoded video to hard drive, LTO-5 tape, and M-Disc Blu-ray so they are good for many years. If it's retail, I upload the FLAC and video files to Archive.org and just put a personal copy on a hard drive.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 19th Jun 2022 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Titan_91 View Post
    Has anyone tried vhs-decode on an M1 Mac running Asahi Linux? I'm curious about the performance. These processors are very competitive to x86 running Mac OS. With Linux that performance is considerably better yet.
    5fps - M1

6-7fps - M1 Max (top model 4TB NVME)

Observed under a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VM
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hello, Everybody not on the discord!

I'm Harry (UK) I have been updating the VHS-Decode & CXADC readme's and wiki's these have been updated weekly since December 2021 now, also promoted the project where I could.

I know some of you have probably not known about these updated things, but I have strived to clean up the black hole of lack of basic information and clear information on the surface this includes ground-up guides, which I have been working on this year for people who don't even know what a soldering iron, flux etc really is for example.

There is a shared drive dedicated and mirrored for all RF Decoding related things and a simple/clear standard naming system this unifies contributions and test captures for both reference and history of the project.

I made the vhs-decode/tape-decode subreddits ahead of time, I'm writing this thanks to Titan_91 as I did not really use them but I'll start mirroring some content over there to help with discoverability, one rule is keep to current information unless stated clearly non-current

I have also re-worked the DdD documentation for anyone to practically go and drag and drop on fabrication companies like PCBWay it was lacking clear instructions and an actual BOM file we have had 3 users including me have ordered like this without issue now, sadly the DE0-Nano is still very out of stock or inflated.

Also, side note VHS-C tapes captured with the DdD 40msps and FLAC compressed are around 1-1.1GB Per min even less with current CXADC 8-bit 20msps this means an 30/45/90min tape can comfortably fit alongside a viewable and other documentation on a 100GB M-Disk for solid archives witch for 10GBP per disk at the only amazon US seller not a bad deal, (Anyone put LD on M-Disk yet though? )

I probably won't be very active on here that much but if anyone wants to get my direct attention feel free to email me at: harry@opcomedia.com
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hey Harry! It's funny that I discovered your 3 month old Reddit page that you forgot about. I'm big on documentation and love what you're doing to round out the knowledge on this project. That being said, I'm not interested in creating a Google account or Discord account. One is data privacy, another is this particular thread is a permanent paper trail of everything up to this point. I'm making sure each page has Archive.org snapshots. It's obviously not current, and there are ways to export conversations from Discord to have a paper trail there. But this much historical information from years past that is publicly accessible without needing an account is still relevant, and it's all in one place without being fragmented across conversations. But the same can be said for the GitHub wiki page which is looking great.

That's my opinion based on the strengths and weaknesses of each medium. I'm pretty much done uploading test samples anyway, as I've reached the apex of my workflow and am satisfied with it. Anything more I want to preserve will go up on my Archive.org account, linked a few posts back.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 20th Jun 2022 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Did something break cvbs-decode in recent revisions? I'm trying to diagnose a bad video output on a game console and can't get any result using either the known bad capture or my previous working good CVBS captures. No sync pulses are detected on the good capture no matter what command line options I use and regardless of sample rate (the sample is 28.6MSPS).

Code:
    cvbs-decode -A -n --cxadc testimages.r8 testimages
    Quote Quote  
  23. Not that I'm aware of, haven't touched it in a while. It's working fine with with the cvbs test sample I tested now, I'm not at home so can't check all the other samples atm.
    Quote Quote  
  24. It could be something I'm doing. But using the same known working command line and same sample should give me some kind of decode. Here are the samples I'm using:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394168-Current-status-of-ld-decode-vhs-decode-(tru...15#post2609438

No need to do anything with it immediately, I can troubleshoot the issue with my PlayStation without it.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 11th Jul 2022 at 10:28.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Someone discovered a slight variation in the deemphasis values of certain machines/tapes. vhs-decode is configured to use 260k, but some people have had better results using 280k instead. This variable is in vhsdecode/format_defs/vhs.py as:

Code:
    rfparams["deemph_mid"] = 260000
    A couple of comparisons:

https://imgsli.com/MTE4MDAy

https://imgsli.com/MTE5MDkz

I tried this on a couple of home videos and saw no improvement to sharpness. In fact, 280k resulted in slightly more smearing in the image, so I left it alone for now. I will try it on some retail videos in the future though.
    Quote Quote  
  26. The project has moved from qmake to cmake in an effort to port it to other Linux distros, Windows, and make it compatible with WSL. Harry has updated build and installation instructions on the GitHub wiki page. Other recent developments include hifi-decode and tests with head switch adjustments. hifi-decode is an early utility for decoding stereo Hi-Fi sound. Does not currently work properly as the output is often noisy and plays back too high pitched.
    Last edited by Titan_91; 20th Sep 2022 at 07:34.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Good to see some progress especially on the HiFi side. Speaking of audio, Is there any old school audio engineers left that can build an analog audio pre-amp for the linear mono/stereo stationary magnetic head with noise reduction option built in and equalization curve based on tape speed and formulation? It is a great addition to the project to have a pre-amp and ADC for the linear audio track. It can be connected directly to the VCR's audio head by disconnecting it from the main board and connecting it to the pre-amp/ADC.

This can come handy when there is a need to capture HiFi and linear tracks at the same time and have the two tracks encoded into the final file, Especially when there a sub language or dubbed narration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Good to see some progress especially on the HiFi side. Speaking of audio, Is there any old school audio engineers left that can build an analog audio pre-amp for the linear mono/stereo stationary magnetic head with noise reduction option built in and equalization curve based on tape speed and formulation? It is a great addition to the project to have a pre-amp and ADC for the linear audio track. It can be connected directly to the VCR's audio head by disconnecting it from the main board and connecting it to the pre-amp/ADC.
    This can come handy when there is a need to capture HiFi and linear tracks at the same time and have the two tracks encoded into the final file, Especially when there a sub language or dubbed narration.
    Or when you have audio vary over the tape, and you can select the best available per recordings. Happens too often. Forces a recapture, which can be prohibitive for one-and-done tapes, a gamble. I've had to sacrifice footage to get audio (and video) set before running.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  29. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That too, And also problematic VCR's that have problems with the linear track, such as low gain, buzzing noise, or high noise floor due to lack of DNR decoder for tapes that are Dolby encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Titan_91 View Post
    The project has moved from qmake to cmake in an effort to port it to other Linux distros, Windows, and make it compatible with WSL. Harry has updated build and installation instructions on the GitHub wiki page. Other recent developments include hifi-decode and tests with head switch adjustments. hifi-decode is an early utility for decoding stereo Hi-Fi sound. Does not currently work properly as the output is often noisy and plays back too high pitched.
    WSL2 has worked fine since 2021, the only issue is the default 250GB virtual disk it is not a problem if decoding in chunks.

Setup is still the same old copy-paste, even with the CMake switchover but the prospect of windows/macos native apps in a near future is looking well on track.

HiFi decode is fully working with noise reduction added now, however, more decks are required to test this but its fully operational software side signal detection and multi-threading needs work, there is still the GNU scripts for playing around, both CXADC and DdD captures work.

I have been tossing a mix of consumer/release samples for HiFi on the shared drive some are regular some are Dolby iirc.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post

Off-shelf amplifiers exist for this it's just a matter of tapping the audio head PCB, I have de-soldered and repaired the ribbons on these before so tapping the head is easy if you can get the module out of the deck.

I planned to to something similar for duel output recording on consumer decks or selective on the AG-5260 witch can switch between all configerations with the front button control.

And thus concludes my occasional visit to the forums.
    Quote Quote