VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    try to change of pci port, and remove other cards that may be plugged. In other words put the minimum inside your pc, just to make sure

Yes, i already did this. No results, the problem persists
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Posts #11 and #26 answered all your questions but you chose not to follow through and instead chase your tail. It also could be that the Pinnacle card accepts DV only so try a firewire card that was designed for DATA because D-VHS is MPEG-2 not DV AVI.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 18th Mar 2022 at 13:48.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Posts #11 and #26 answered all your questions but you chose not to follow through and instead chase your tail. It also could be that the Pinnacle card accepts DV only so try a firewire card that was designed for DATA because D-VHS is MPEG-2 not DV AVI.

As I said before, the first time i connected the cables to the pci card, everything was working, the drivers were installed, but I didn't find any video or sound signal. I also didn't know about CapDVHS.exe yet. That's when I started testing the other VCR with all the equipment still on, that's when the problem appeared and when the exclamation mark appeared on the driver with the message: ''the driver is not installed correctly'' something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I wouldn't call it everything was working since it didn't find any video or sound signal, So again follow through posts #11 and #26 and make sure the card accepts data such as MPEG-2 not just DV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi there! I have some strange problem, and i hope someone will help me to find out what this cause .. However, i have one old Pc and i put windows xp with sp2, but when i capture movie on dvhs tape, with capdvhs, after maybe 20 min, pc restart, i also tried to use win xp with sp3, and same problem happens.. Im not sure what to do, i tried many things, and here is picture of BSOD
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	277148906_5141295869268295_6037930698998426058_n.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	63960  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand this desire to use these decks in this way.
    Some things are legacy, yes.
    But some things are just plain damned old and useless. This D-VHS deck use is the latter.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The only thing they are good for is transferring SD/HD MPEG-2 tapes that were recorded from over the air and cable back in the day, For VHS they do a decent job but not better than lossless, MPEG-2 SD over firewire is not something I would capture VHS to, still better than DVD in terms of compression and better than DV in terms of chroma but still an ancient lossy compression, They can't transfer D-Theater HD tapes and VHS tapes with Macrovision by design, European machines can't transfer analog tapes over firewire as far as I know US and Japan only, I could be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Im using japanese D-VHS machine, but i just want to transfer one movie, to see how will works
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you google for capturing dvhs, you find no succes stories, maybe only the MPEG2 files of the VHS tape go (protected) over the DV/iLink/Firewire connection ?analog VHS certainly does not connect to the DV output is my guess, you have more luck with a ES10/15 or ES35 which have component to capture from, component was used for the upcoming flatscreens of those days,(before HDMI) video is also clean for that setup, aka no Macrovision over component video, some recorders and flatscreeens of that era had all these connections, these flatscreens even had a VGA input. why not search for WVHS
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 27th Mar 2022 at 15:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    D-VHS does not allow Macrovision protected analog VHS tapes over firewire as well as D-Theater HD tapes by design, and the quality of MPEG-2 SD of VHS tapes that the firewire spits out is not that great, slightly better than DV but it's a lossy process (The machine does not encode into DV), This is not the way for someone looking to capture lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    While your testing methods may be improving, the part about installing drivers is still one of the weak spots.

When you install (or uninstall and then re-install as in this case) a card/device, it needs drivers. Sometimes those drivers use, or are generically compatible with, the stock Windows drivers for that class of equipment. In those cases, you either have to do nothing (as they might already be installed), or you have to wait a bit for Windows to do a search for the drivers and then download and install them. This way is fairly easy to do, but this only provides support & features for the most generic of capabilities of the device. For many devices, that is enough.
    For your Pinnacle device, I am betting that it requires not just the stock drivers, but an actual custom driver from an install disc or manufacturer site. If that is what is going on, it would be no surprise that you wouldn't be able to use the features like you were intending.

Or, it could also be that your D-VHS is not compatible with that card, regardless. This possibility has been mentioned to you multiple times already.

Or, it could be that your Firewire ports (either the source or the sink, or both) truly are fried. The only way to tell that is either to take them to a repair shop / manufacturer/rep to be checked and/or repaired, or to troubleshoot by yourself using standard methods: replacing one-by-one with equivalent known-good devices and testing again, etc. in order to isolate and deduce which element(s) are at fault.

Scott

As the other post was closed, I will respond here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    [Attachment 64740 - Click to enlarge]

¡No hablo español!

And how many million times do I have to tell you that's not the problem? How many million times do I have to say the drivers was installed successfully?
    It seems that everyone understood but you

Let me say it again.... All drivers were successfully installed, no error! This happened the first time I plugged in the cables! The error only appeared when I changed devices with the equipment still on! Now I don't care if I'm going to capture it or not. What matters to know is who is defect or fried! Get it now?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know what's your IQ level as this does not seem to be a language barrier but rather stubbornness/dumbness, Let me repeat this 10 more times since this is turning into comedy:

The drivers are working for DV, The card is a DV card only, No mpeg-2, no data. The error is for TV tuner part, not for the streaming part.
    The drivers are working for DV, The card is a DV card only, No mpeg-2, no data. The error is for TV tuner part, not for the streaming part.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    I don't know what's your IQ level as this does not seem to be a language barrier but rather stubbornness/dumbness, Let me repeat this 10 more times since this is turning into comedy:

I'm not interested in knowing what this ''TV tuner part'' is and what it does. I'm just interested to know why ''JVC HM-DH30000U AV/C Tuner'' when I first connected the cables, it, the ''JVC HM-DH30000U AV/C Tuner'' successfully installed and then, it, the '' JVC HM-DH30000U AV/C Tuner'' when I changed devices it didn't install anymore.

So 3 times is it enough for you to understand as others have?

Why the ''JVC HM-DH30000U AV/C Tuner'' did it install correctly once but after I changed the device, it didn't install correctly anymore?

Why the ''JVC HM-DH30000U AV/C Tuner'' did it install correctly once but after I changed the device, it didn't install correctly anymore?

Don't be mad, I know you want to help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It doesn't matter if the TV tuner installed or not, That's not your problem. Get another firewire card if you want a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Anyway. I think I made some progress, I tested something else, the LG DVD recorder, maybe it was the first victim of the killer DV to DV cable.

Before the computer, I forgot to mention, the LG DVD recorder was when i first plugged in the D-vhs and there was this message on the DV screen: ''No camera connected, check cables.''

Well today I asked an electronics technician to change the DV input plug of this LG Recorder. I plugged the D-VHS back into it and voila!! This appeared on the screen. ''Check Cassette Tape''.

And with the tape running, this appears (Pic 02) (But no video and no sound).

Another thing, when I take the DV plug out of the D-vhs output, it is very hot. This is not normal right?

[Attachment 64741 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 64742 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Caius; 10th May 2022 at 02:31.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    It doesn't matter if the TV tuner installed or not, That's not your problem. Get another firewire card if you want a solution.
    Is that a good one? Image
    [Attachment 64743 - Click to enlarge]

It says (I translated from portuguese)

The 1394b expansion board is designed based on the IEEE 1394b standard and in line with the IEEE 1394-1995 and IEEE 1394a-2000 standards.
    The transmission speed can be up to 800Mbps, but also compatible with 400/200/100Mbps devices.
    Works with many types of 1394b and 1394a devices, including DV camcorders, digital camera and other audio and video devices.
    Supports bidirectional transmission, fully interoperable with FireWire, iLink and SB1394, implementation of the IEEE 1394 standard.
    Plug and play, hot swap. Support Windows 8/7 / Vista / XP / 2000 / ME / 98SE / Server 2003-2008 32/64 bit, for Mac.

Specifications:
    Model Number: FG-EFWB-V1T-003BI
    Port: 2*1394b (6-pin), 1*1394a (4-pin)
    Data transfer rates: 800/400/200/100 Mbps
    Black color
    Main item size: 11.9*9.6*1.7cm/4.68*3.78*0.67in.
    Main Item Weight: 43g / 1.54oz
    Package Size: 14.6 * 12.8 * 2.8 cm / 5.74 * 5.03 * 1.10 oz
    Pack weight: 92g / 3.26oz

Package List:
    1 * PCI-E controller board
    1 * Firewire cable
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Remember: one of the prime methods of good AV troubleshooting is to swap out the questionable links in the chain with known-good equivalents. Always do this one-at-a-time, so you can isolate the part's influence and response. Otherwise, you might not truly know which change was instrumental.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    According to this guy, who asked this in 2005, I don't think I'll be successful in buying this 1394 Firewire Card.

Looks like he had the same problem I have.

[Attachment 65135 - Click to enlarge]

https://www.fixya.com/support/t97389-capturing_d_vhs_thru_firewire_1394
    Quote Quote