VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Delete all drivers for both the card and D-VHS machine and start over.
    I've done this more than one time and no results.

I'm going to do what a guy here from Brazil told me. I will disconnect the card from the computer, turn on the computer without it and turn the card back on. But first I'm going to uninstall all the drivers again.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Is the tape you are trying to play NTSC or PAL, The machine you have is NTSC from the pictures you posted in other threads.

If it is NTSC next step is to:

Take a S-VHS tape, drill a hole in the opposite side with the same dimensions to the case edges of the S-VHS hole, and connect something to the D-VHS deck via analog input, record in D-VHS SD mode for few minutes (make sure D-VHS recording is enabled, not S-VHS, not S-VHS ET, not VHS).

If the D-VHS signal is recognized by CapDVHS that means analog tape passthrough is not possible, Although only Europeans machines have this disabled, from the pictures looks like you a NTSC machine.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is so ******* stupid.

Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    I have Vhs and Super-Vhs tapes, i don't have a d-vhs tape, but Vhs or Super-vhs none of them works to show in the CapDVHS.exe, i guess because the driver error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_tJKiCJzE Here's the brazilien guy do whats i wanna do.
    I've been subscribed to that guy's YT channel for a while. Yes the workflow on the right is better than the one on the left. But it's still worse than just capturing the analog output of this D-VHS VCR you own.

If you want to get a high-quality capture of VHS and S-VHS using this VCR, don't try to use its digital output. You were told this by lordsmurf and dellsam34 when you posted your very first thread on this topic, on Dec 3: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403951-D-Vhs-JVC#post2639266

And in his response, dellsam34 linked his comparison showing the destructive lossy MPEG-2 encoding that you get when playing an analog VHS tape out any of these JVC D-VHS decks: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391517-Capturing-VHS-With-D-VHS-Deck-MPEG-2

Buy a suitable lossless capture device, like Hauppauge USB-Live2 (610), Diamond VC500, I-O Data GVUSB2, etc. and connect the S-Video output along with stereo audio. The JVC D-VHS models fully digitize and rebuild the analog signal, just like a "DVD recorder passthrough", so you don't have to worry about frame drops or A/V desync the way that you do with an S-VHS model. (i.e. You don't need to pair it with a full frame TBC.)
    Last edited by Brad; 17th Apr 2022 at 10:30.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Is the tape you are trying to play NTSC or PAL, The machine you have is NTSC from the pictures you posted in other threads.

If it is NTSC next step is to:

Take a S-VHS tape, drill a hole in the opposite side with the same dimensions to the case edges of the S-VHS hole, and connect something to the D-VHS deck via analog input, record in D-VHS SD mode for few minutes (make sure D-VHS recording is enabled, not S-VHS, not S-VHS ET, not VHS).

If the D-VHS signal is recognized by CapDVHS that means analog tape passthrough is not possible, Although only Europeans machines have this disabled, from the pictures looks like you a NTSC machine.

Yes, this deck is NTSC, it only read NTSC not PAl. But how does the CapDVHS will will work with the driver error?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post

I have Vhs and Super-Vhs tapes, i don't have a d-vhs tape, but Vhs or Super-vhs none of them works to show in the CapDVHS.exe, i guess because the driver error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_tJKiCJzE Here's the brazilien guy do whats i wanna do.
    I've been subscribed to that guy's YT channel for a while. Yes the workflow on the right is better than the one on the left. But it's still worse than just capturing the analog output of this D-VHS VCR you own.

If you want to get a high-quality capture of VHS and S-VHS using this VCR, don't try to use its digital output. You were told this by lordsmurf and dellsam34 when you posted your very first thread on this topic, on Dec 3: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403951-D-Vhs-JVC#post2639266

And in his response, dellsam34 linked his comparison showing the destructive lossy MPEG-2 encoding that you get when playing an analog VHS tape out any of these JVC D-VHS decks: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391517-Capturing-VHS-With-D-VHS-Deck-MPEG-2

Buy a suitable lossless capture device, like Hauppauge USB-Live2 (610), Diamond VC500, I-O Data GVUSB2, etc. and connect the S-Video output along with stereo audio. The JVC D-VHS models fully digitize and rebuild the analog signal, just like a "DVD recorder passthrough", so you don't have to worry about frame drops or A/V desync the way that you do with an S-VHS model. (i.e. You don't need to pair it with a full frame TBC.)

Let me get this straight... Would the firewire quality (if I could get this work) be worse than its SVideo or analog output?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM

Are you also saying that my deck is better than his?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Let me get this straight... Would the firewire quality (if I could get this work) be worse than its SVideo or analog output?
    The consensus on this forum is that it is better to capture analog content using SVideo than using Firewire. Not to mention that you have more flexibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes (for VHS and S-VHS playback).

Yours is better than both of his, yes. His VCR on the right is JVC HR-S3901U which was a basic model; it's S-VHS but with no TBC/DNR. MSRP was $199.95. Your JVC HM-DH30000U is a high-end D-Theater model that also includes the coveted TBC/DNR feature for analog backwards-compatibility. MSRP was $1,999.95 (10x as much).
    Last edited by Brad; 17th Apr 2022 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just watched italovalerio's video - what a nice intro, I am envious Also, even though the S3901 does not have TBC, its image is more stable than on the J401M - not bad for a basic home VCR.

But I am not sure what i.Link he is talking about: "the other with stereo k7 video S-VHS, svideo connection (black 4 pins) via iLink IEE1394 Fireware." The manual for the S3901 does not mention i.Link port. Did he feed it as SVideo and output as DV? What is k7? The man is speaking in riddles.
    Quote Quote  
  10. italovalerio's video uses different capture methods for each vcr, which makes it a little hard to compare. Ideally one would compare vcrs with same capture device, or capture devices with the same vcr. The difference in stability, color flashing, and possibly to some degree saturation is likely more down difference in capture device. It looks a bit as though the J401M also has some issue with dropout compensation causing these dark/flashing lines at points.

I would assume the "iLink" capture is via some other device that connects to a computer via firewire - likely either a Digital8 or DV camcorder, or an Analog->DV converter box. Firewire is not something you find on normal (S)VHS decks, that was a D-VHS specific thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    I would assume the "iLink" capture is via some other device that connects to a computer via firewire - likely either a Digital8 or DV camcorder, or an Analog->DV converter box. Firewire is not something you find on normal (S)VHS decks, that was a D-VHS specific thing.
    He is using a low end broken (pinch roller problem) VHS VCR via composite and linear mono connected to a Chinese easycrap USB device and capturing compressed, On the other hand he is using a high end perfectly functioning S-VHS VCR via S-Video and HiFi Stereo using a DV capture device such as Canopus, That's the most idiotic way to prove one capturing method is better than the other.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 17th Apr 2022 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM

Yours is better than both of his, yes. His VCR on the right is JVC HR-S3901U which was a basic model; it's S-VHS but with no TBC/DNR. MSRP was $199.95. Your JVC HM-DH30000U is a high-end D-Theater model that also includes the coveted TBC/DNR feature for analog backwards-compatibility. MSRP was $1,999.95 (10x as much).

Well. If i will not get better video quality using I-link firewire on my JVC HM-DH30000U than his super video to my vhs or super-vhs, So should I just convert by super-video and RCA?

Because all I wanted to know was what the video would look like going through the firewire cable and converting through CapDVHS.exe
    Last edited by Caius; 17th Apr 2022 at 23:31.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM

I bought two of them for about 50 dollars here in Brazil, they were from a nun, they were donated to her by a Portuguese guy. One of them is not running normal the tape, as I showed in this post = https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405368-Have-two-of-this-D-Vhs-model-JVC-HM-DH3000U...-has-a-problem https://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/64195-1649472388/mpc%20hc%202022%2004%2008%201...2029%20544.mp4
    Last edited by Caius; 17th Apr 2022 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    If i will not get better video quality using I-link firewire on my JVC HM-DH30000U than his super video to my vhs or super-vhs, So should I just convert by super-video and RCA?
    That is what I've been trying to tell you, yes.
    Quote Quote