VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to capture Hi8 ntsc tape using huffyuv codec on window 10/AmarecTV

I wonder what the field threshold should be set to.

When I searched on Google, the story was different for each person, such as 240, 288, 480.

What is the right choice?

Also, is it correct to uncheck the enable full size output buffer setting?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In for a penny......

Consider that you are capturing full frame interlaced which would be 720*480 for NTSC and 720*576 for PAL. Each of these full frames are made up of two fields with a height of 240 for NTSC and 288 for PAL. So it is these numbers that are the settings for full-frame depending on the source.

TBH I do not have a clue what 'enable full size buffer' is or does. But logic dictates that if you are capturing full size - and I assume that means the same as above - then you should keep the option checked.

Hard hat firmly on
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My recommendation is to stay away from apps that are so poorly written that they are confusing even to long-timers.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And for good measure, I have captured huffyuv under AmarecTV. I have not EVER considered any of these 'tweaks' and just left everything at default inasmuch that the program has detected my source.Maybe when I get the time - but not now - I will take a closer look.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And for good measure, I have captured huffyuv under AmarecTV. I have not EVER considered any of these 'tweaks' and just left everything at default inasmuch that the program has detected my source.Maybe when I get the time - but not now - I will take a closer look.
    thanks!

The enable full size output-buffer option says to check when fix crash occurs.

I read in other posts that maybe it's an option for the old OS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post

When I searched on Google, the story was different for each person, such as 240, 288, 480.

Default (288). It should never have been exposed as a user setting. The original author's involvement ended at the final official version: Huffyuv 2.1.1.

This setting was offered as part of patches put out by random programmers who "updated" the official Huffyuv 2.1.1 to other variants including 2.2.0 (which sounds official, doesn't it?).

I explained the situation here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6620-test-avi-file-3.html#post38937

It's to fix a crash, so if you don't get any crashing with the option disabled, that means you're not encountering the scenario it was meant to address. In which case, there is no harm to disable it.
    Last edited by Brad; 13th Apr 2022 at 19:14.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post

Default (288). It should never have been exposed as a user setting. The original author's involvement ended at the final official version: Huffyuv 2.1.1.

This setting was offered as part of patches put out by random programmers who "updated" the official Huffyuv 2.1.1 to other variants including 2.2.0 (which sounds official, doesn't it?).

I explained the situation here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6620-test-avi-file-3.html#post38937

It's to fix a crash, so if you don't get any crashing with the option disabled, that means you're not encountering the scenario it was meant to address. In which case, there is no harm to disable it.
    thanks!!!
    Quote Quote