VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When converting Hi8 and Mini DV tapes,
    I wonder which codec and software are the best choices.

1. What is the difference between QTGMC and yadif during deinterlace?

2. What is the difference between avisynth, avisynth+, and vapoursynth?

Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Hi8 is analog and miniDV is digital, But both once captured and transferred can be de-interlaced and encoded to h.264, Software is a personal preference, I prefer QTGMC for de-interlacing and FFMPEG for encoding and I had to install avisynth+ as a requirement I believe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    When converting Hi8 and Mini DV tapes
    Converting from where into what?
    Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    I wonder which codec and software are the best choices.
    "Best" is a relative thing.
    What is the difference between QTGMC and yadif during deinterlace?
    Both are single-field interpolating deinterlacers. Well, YADIF is an interpolating deinterlacer, and QTGMC started as interpolating deinterlacer as well. Single-field interpolators do not try to find related data in preceding or following fields, they work strictly within one field, so they cannot use information from other fields to patch holes in the field they reconstruct into a frame. They are better than simple line doublers for content with diagonal lines, they can figure out the angle of the lines and patch the holes. This works well for regular patterns. They are not as good with circles or swirly motion or any non-regular ornaments.

YADIF is a product. QTGMC is a script that uses other libraries and scripts, it uses different algorithms depending on different settings. QTGMC script is continuously evolving. Originally QTGMC was an Avisynth script, later it was ported to Vapoursynth.
    What is the difference between avisynth, avisynth+, and vapoursynth?
    Have you tried googling it? Here is one of the answers. Avisynth is a specialized runtime for Windows that has its own syntax. Vapoursynth uses Python as a runtime, so it is portable across platforms; scripts are written in Python.
    Quote Quote  
  4. One interesting Avisynth vs. Vapoursynth difference is a possibility to setup an EXE really easy using vapoursynth. So for some routine operations it can be setup and handed over to someone else. Because it is basically making a python code into exe binaries. One directory, with dumped python portable, vapoursynth portable, subdirectory with vapoursynth DLL's and then for example using pyinstaller's command line to create binaries out of the main python file or custom modules.

Example, someone creates working vapoursynth script, then EXE so a user just drops a videofile and gets new fixed video file, where nothing needs to be installed (python or vapoursynth).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    Both are single-field interpolating deinterlacers. Well, YADIF is an interpolating deinterlacer, and QTGMC started as interpolating deinterlacer as well. Single-field interpolators do not try to find related data in preceding or following fields, they work strictly within one field, so they cannot use information from other fields to patch holes in the field they reconstruct into a frame.
    Pardon?

Yadif description:
    "It check pixels of previous, current and next frames to re-create the missed field by some local adaptive method (edge-directed interpolation) and uses spatial check to prevent most artifacts."

QTGMC description:
    "The core algorithm is this:
    1. Bob the source clip. Temporally smooth the bob to remove shimmer then analyse its motion
    2. More accurately interpolate the source clip (e.g. NNEDI3). Use the motion analysis from previous step to temporally smooth this interpolate with motion compensation. This removes shimmer whilst retaining detail. Resharpen the result to counteract any blurring
    3. A final light temporal smooth to clean the result"
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use the motion analysis from previous step to temporally smooth this interpolate with motion compensation.
    This beeing the key of its success

A useful link for ConsumerDV (since you like them ) :https://www.slideshare.net/ramesh130/de-interlacing-techniques-wid-ref
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    QTGMC is one of the best out there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you Brad, I stand corrected. This will teach me not to talk out of my ass (no, it won't, sadly). I thought I've read somewhere that Yadif did not have temporal component, but looks like it does. Good for Yadif. It may not be the best, but considering it is faster than realtime on an average machine, it is very efficient and is very useful for previewing (I use Yadif filter in VirtualDub2).

lollo, thanks for the link! I have tons of info about deinterlacers already, but the more the merrier.

dellsam34, QTGMC is the golden standard. I think I am where you were three years ago, trying to stay within VirtualDub2 and avoid scripting. Maybe I will eventually cave in The last time I tried installing QTGMC Vapoursynth script, I spent two hours downloading libraries, resolving references and updating scripts, but it still would not work. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

For VirtualDub I've been using MSU Deinterlacer, it is slightly better than Yadif, but order of magnitude slower, it is not realtime on my machine. Since I don't do it professionally and don't have a constant stream of work, I don't mind extra processing time. I do a quick check with Yadif, then switch to MSU for the final render.

Attached a comparison between Yadif and MSU Deinterlacer. Please, don't comment on the horrible graininess
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yadif.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	64277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	msudeint.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	64278  

Last edited by ConsumerDV; 13th Apr 2022 at 19:57.
    Quote Quote