VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. hi
    can anybody help me find tv usb recorder
    to record direct to avi or mpeg format from samsung fa01 / qrq60 tv
    like capturing netflix or tv series from tv direct
    is there any suggestion or something similar to buy and do it?
    cheers

2. The only way to record from a TV is to point a video camera at the screen and record.

Search Comp PM
    Well, as I understand it, some smart tvs allow you to use a usb-stick and, theoretically, allow you to record what you are watching. No additional hardware/software required.

However, many streams will be DRM protected and, I guess, such a recording will not have access to the keys and you end up with an un-playable recording.

And add to that discussion about recording subscription services such as Netflix is against forum rules.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that the apps used to supply streaming video to the TV are set up to allow users to record anything via the TV's recording function.

In any case, since the video files recorded by the TV from other sources (tuners, smart cards) that allow recording are encrypted so that only the individual TV that made the recording can be used to view them, the recordings made by a TV's recording function are mainly useful for watching at a more convenient time.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329

5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The only output from the TV as far as I know is the ARC HDMI (Audio return channel), So you can probably record audio if you have a way to strip the copy protection, that's it.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sometimes recorded football matches on my Smart TV from Samsung, which were on TV. To do this, I used a flash drive and a built-in video recording function on the screen on Samsung TV. Now I've switched to Hisens TV and I'm using an external hard drive. When I couldn't find the remote, I used life hacks to control Smart TV without it. But you can't record everything in a row from your screen. For example, Netflix stops displaying content if video capture is running.
    Last edited by Appoloh; 29th Jun 2022 at 13:48.

7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    How can you record from a TV? You must be using a streaming media player with internet and built in hard drive and your TV is just displaying the video from the HDMI port of the media player, There is no video output from TV.

8. You can't record from a TV, but what you can do is get a Fire Stick, a HDMI splitter, and a ClonerAlliance box. But that costs like $300 total.

Search Comp PM
    A tv has just no output connection, use an output from tuner or decoder box have a converter/scaler with HDMI passthrough, (to strip HDCP/handshake) and record with a HDMI recorder (or HDMI to USB dongle > PC) that records to flash card/drive, for optimal quality and capture speed.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 1st Jul 2022 at 19:37.

Search PM
    Not going to work unless you have some method to bypass HDCP.

Scott

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    You can't record from a TV, but what you can do is get a Fire Stick, a HDMI splitter, and a ClonerAlliance box. But that costs like $300 total.
    Expensive. It is better to buy a powerful video card on a PC. This is personal in my case.

12. Originally Posted by Appoloh View Post
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    You can't record from a TV, but what you can do is get a Fire Stick, a HDMI splitter, and a ClonerAlliance box. But that costs like $300 total.
    Expensive. It is better to buy a powerful video card on a PC. This is personal in my case.
    How can you record with a graphics card?

13. i suggest to use a dvb-t card (i use mine since 12 years)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    i suggest to use a dvb-t card (i use mine since 12 years)
    Netflix isn't on DVB-T

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Surprised we got this far. Asking about capturing NetFlix or any subscription service is against forum rules. OP reported.

16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fire Foxer-please do not ask for help on downloading videos from a subscription site,this is against forum rules,this thread is closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.