VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    If you want your capture to look just like the VHS source (unfortunately it can't look any better), capture at 640x480 at 29.967fps, and then DEINTERLACE it. You can do that with software like Adobe Premiere or VirtualDub. However, Some would say that such a high resolution for a VHS source is a waste of time and space, but I suggest: if you like things perfect, try that resolution. Now, if you don't need such perfection, or your system can't keep that up, use 512x384 at 29.967 and the result will look quite as good as 640x480. At last, if you want to make a VCD compliant video stream (which MUST be 352x240 at 29.967fps), capture at 352x480 at 29.967fps (this way you get both fields), and then resize it to 352x240 using VirtualDub with the "precise bicubic" filter on.

If your capture card can't capture in resolutions like 352x480 or 512x384, use VirtualDub to do it by choosing the option "set custom format" under the "video" menu.
    I've been capturing at 720x480 based on the instructions in this tutorial video:

https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c?t=443

"The typical digital representation of NTSC analog video is this slightly strange aspect ratio of 720x480"

In the description he says you can resize it after you capture it:

Q: 720x480 doesn't always look right in players. Shouldn't I capture in 640x480?
    A: No, you should capture at 720x480 and then resize to 640x480 after deinterlacing. This is because some drivers actually only support 720x480 and resize themselves, usually with a lower-quality algorithm. If you do it yourself, you get better results. Also, ALWAYS RESIZE *AFTER* DEINTERLACING.

He says YouTube will only preserve 60fps if the video is at least 720p so you have to increase the resolution and when he does that he corrects the aspect ratio by not doing a 1:1 increase. ie he doesn't go from 720x480 to 1080x720, he goes to 960x720:

https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c?t=1544
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by John2583 View Post
    He says YouTube will only preserve 60fps if the video is at least 720p so you have to increase the resolution and when he does that he corrects the aspect ratio by not doing a 1:1 increase. ie he doesn't go from 720x480 to 1080x720, he goes to 960x720:
    The 720p is moved up to 1080p now, That's the reason I upload to 1080p on my channel, 720 is considered SD by Youtube's algorithm. Honestly 720 vertical should have never existed and serves no purpose now since TV's and monitors have to resize to 1080 on the fly anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The 720p is moved up to 1080p now, That's the reason I upload to 1080p on my channel, 720 is considered SD by Youtube's algorithm. Honestly 720 vertical should have never existed and serves no purpose now since TV's and monitors have to resize to 1080 on the fly anyway.
    Well the capture I uploaded to YouTube at 720p 60fps which I sent you over PM does work at 60fps on YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    When the video was uploaded? That was Youtube's anouncement that I've read few months ago, Maybe they are implementing it slowly. I don't think I've received a PM from you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    When the video was uploaded? That was Youtube's anouncement that I've read few months ago, Maybe they are implementing it slowly. I don't think I've received a PM from you.
    I uploaded a video like that on Nov 23, 2021.

Where is the announcement?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't remember but there was some talk about it here, Either the frame rate or the quality of compression that 1080p and up uses a different codec or something that makes the video quality look better vs 720p. In any case 720 means nothing to me, I don't have native panels to display it and I don't have videos shot at that resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I don't remember but there was some talk about it here, Either the frame rate or the quality of compression that 1080p and up uses a different codec or something that makes the video quality look better vs 720p. In any case 720 means nothing to me, I don't have native panels to display it and I don't have videos shot at that resolution.
    Gotcha.

Another question for anyone reading, I was able to use a Windows XP VM on VMware Workstation 15 to capture about 30 seconds of good video with VirtualDub (1 not 2) before it started inserting and dropping frames a lot. The VM only has 1 GB of memory currently. VirtualDub2 would not show video when I selected the DVC100 as source. I tried to install UTvideo 23.0.0 codec and while it seemed like it installed successfully, VirtualDub did not show it. In fact it only showed a single option, (Uncompressed RGB/YcBcR IIRC).

I know it is not recommended to use a VM to capture, but if I increased the memory to 8 GB and got a lossless codec to work, is it possible this setup would work? If so what lossless codec is likely to work on WinXP?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by John2583 View Post
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Gotcha.

Another question for anyone reading, I was able to use a Windows XP VM on VMware Workstation 15 to capture about 30 seconds of good video with VirtualDub (1 not 2) before it started inserting and dropping frames a lot. The VM only has 1 GB of memory currently. VirtualDub2 would not show video when I selected the DVC100 as source. I tried to install UTvideo 23.0.0 codec and while it seemed like it installed successfully, VirtualDub did not show it. In fact it only showed a single option, (Uncompressed RGB/YcBcR IIRC).

I know it is not recommended to use a VM to capture, but if I increased the memory to 8 GB and got a lossless codec to work, is it possible this setup would work? If so what lossless codec is likely to work on WinXP?
    I tried increasing the memory to 8 GB and it didn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by John2583 View Post
    I was wrong that the DVC100 was going bad. For the FPS being locked at 25, in my thread dellsam34 suggested "Try connecting the card or rebooting the computer with a 29.97 fps video being played in it."

I hooked the VCR with a tape playing up to the DVC100 before connecting it to my USB port and now I'm getting better, but not perfect behavior. I get one null frame every 5 seconds just like someone else described here.

Device Manager shows

"Dazzle DVC100 Video Device"
    Driver Version: 2.2020.1022.0.
    Driver Date: 2020-10-22

I have an old PC that would probably run Windows 7 fine which I may try in the future.
    For reference The driver that improved the situation for me and that produces the version numbers in the above quote is from installing the file in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398965-Dazzle-DVC100-not-capturing-anymore-on-Wind...10#post2603674
    Quote Quote  
  10. But why are they still selling this, if it doesnt even work for windows 10? I tried downloading numerous patches, with no luck. i really dont know what to do...

EDIT: I know have the Device setup (with the updated driver provided earlier in the thread by "Buurazu"), and working great in terms of picture quality, but not so great on the fps. There seems to be some often frame drops in the preview & captured video. Did anyone ever fix the frame drop glitch?
    Last edited by AntonHarboe_; 1st Dec 2021 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by AntonHarboe_ View Post
    But why are they still selling this, if it doesnt even work for windows 10? I tried downloading numerous patches, with no luck. i really dont know what to do...

EDIT: I know have the Device setup (with the updated driver provided earlier in the thread by "Buurazu"), and working great in terms of picture quality, but not so great on the fps. There seems to be some often frame drops in the preview & captured video. Did anyone ever fix the frame drop glitch?
    My memory is a little fuzzy but are you talking about dropped frames or inserted/null frames? The updated driver is not perfect but it improves the situation a lot. The imperfect part is it works normally *except* you get one inserted/null (duplicated) frame approximately ever 5 seconds. If you look at a captured video frame by frame you can see the inserted frame.

If you're getting a lot more inserted frames than that you might not have the updated driver working yet and are still suffering from the worst effects of whatever Windows update broke this driver.

I guess we need to open more tickets with Corel to get the driver completely fixed again. Or use a dedicated Windows 7 PC with this card.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @John2583
    Feel free to contact and blaming: nick.glusovich@corel.com
    Thats the Level-2 guy who commicated all the time with me and promissed, that "Our Engineering team has been working on the issue, as soon as I hear from them, I will advise."
    He also "escalated" the issue to a Level-3 guy who had a 4 hour remote session on my PC and confirmed and verified the issue.
    This was 9 month ago and all we got is Pinnacle Studio 25, shipped with the exact same broken driver.

I mean, they could be just honest and tell, that they don't care anymore and prefer to sell the product to dumb users who don't notice the 5 second inserted frames for maximum profit.

If anyone wonders, my workaround with this nice Avisynth Script still works fine on Windows 11 21H2 Build 22000.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok its an old discusion I no, I did a test with my DVC100 on Windows 11 and Pinnacle 25, its stil not working good, I discover that this DVC100 perfect works on Windows 10 32 bits !, I try the workaround from Morku and its working but not perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I now only use AmarecTV to capture from my dazzle, i do not have any issues, captures fine.

Windows 10 64bit 21H2.

Dazzle DVD Recorder HD

Video Driver: Corel 5.2020.406.1015
    Audio Driver (Line) Microsoft 10.0.19041.1
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by John2583 View Post
    I've been capturing at 720x480 based on the instructions in this tutorial video: https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c?t=443
    He deinterlaces into 60p with correct field order, this is good. But he does not correct the aspect ratio. Both of his videos - the intermediate and the final - have 1.5 aspect ratio instead of 1.33. Well, if he insists on preserving the overscan, then it should be about 1.36.

Also, for something that does not include editing of the video, his workflow is needlessly complicated. You can deinterlace and render into deliverable format like H.264/MP4 directly from VirtualDub... if you use VirtualDub2. I know that some people advise against using VirtualDub2, but I like it: it has more features and it is solid enough. VirtualDub2 has native implementation of Cineform, which I prefer as an intermedate codec, and it can save into MP4, MKV and MOV in addition to AVI.

He says YouTube will only preserve 60fps if the video is at least 720p
    This is true.
    so you have to increase the resolution and when he does that he corrects the aspect ratio by not doing a 1:1 increase. ie he doesn't go from 720x480 to 1080x720, he goes to 960x720: https://youtu.be/sn_TDa9zY1c?t=1544
    Ah, I missed this part. Still, because he keeps the overscan, his video is not exactly 4:3, so it should be 982x720, not 960x720 if he uses PAR 1:1.

The 720p is moved up to 1080p now, That's the reason I upload to 1080p on my channel, 720 is considered SD by Youtube's algorithm.
    Indeed, YouTube does not mark 720p videos as "HD" anymore. Nevertheless, 720p60 videos are still played at 60fps.
    Honestly 720 vertical should have never existed and serves no purpose now since TV's and monitors have to resize to 1080 on the fly anyway.
    25 years ago they could do either 720p or 1080i, and there were proponents for either system.

EBU technical director Phil Laven said, “Tests have shown that viewers see little difference between uncompressed 720p and 1080i pictures, but prefer 720p on compressed signals,” pointing out that for the foreseeable future viewers will never see uncompressed pictures at home. “So 720p offers broadcasters better quality at the same rate, or the same quality at a lower rate, perhaps making way for more channels.”

What he says correlates to what I see at home when watching PBS. It used to be 1080i @ 15 Mbit/s. In 2017 they switched to 720p @ 5 Mbit/s to free bandwidth for two more subchannels. Granted, it does not look nearly as good as before, the drop in the bitrate is too severe.

He also said back in 2006, “The EBU position is that the emission standard should be progressive – 720p/50 now, and 1080p/50 in the longer term.” Laven heralded 1080p50 as the ‘third generation HD standard’ from which 720p and 1080i formats can be easily derived if required.

Since YouTube does not support interlaced video, it naturally progressed from 720p to 1080p and enabled 50p/60p rates in 2014, so in a way YouTube now surpasses American OTA TV.

Depending on content, 1080p videos can be up to twice the size of 720p videos, which is important if you have a data cap, or or data rate is not fast enough, or you like downloading YouTube videos
    Last edited by ConsumerDV; 3rd Apr 2022 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    720 was suited for camcorders and fast motion sports events that required 30p, 1080p was not possible in camcorders back then so the choice was 720 to reduce the amount of processed data. It wasn't a studio shooting broadcast format, but studio gear had the capability to upscale from 480i or downscale from 1080i to 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to say a thing regarding having Dazzle working if you use Windows 11 and probably newer versions of Windows 10.

I've been spending countless time helping someone set their Dazzle up on Windows 11. We grabbed the drivers from the zip file on the first page, and the Dazzle was being choppy and the audio was messed up. We tried setting up a VM, trying different software, everything. Nothing worked.

The solution was in fine print. They gave a link to install Lagarith codec, which is the codec that fixed the issue. The drivers in the post are version 1.09.

You can't use any other drivers. The recording was tested using AmaRec. I personally like VirtualDub2 but it's more cumbersome however more professional. AmaRec works decently.

The output file won't be playable with the built in video player. It will be very large, therefore you'll want to make sure that you have plenty of disk space. You should convert it with HandBrake and that will give you a more compressed file.
    Last edited by Larsenv; 21st Dec 2023 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote