VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I received a JVC GR-D250U MiniDV camcorder secondhand a couple years ago and ever since I have been playing with it. I've taken it on trips with my roommate to document our adventures, that kind of thing. Something about this old thing's whirring and the physicality of magnetic tapes appeals to me. Also, it was just going to be e-waste, and I feel like I'd rather have fun and make use of it than let it go to a landfill somewhere.

Anyway! Here's my dilemma. I like to host little "movie nights" where my roommate and I watch the horrible footage I took from our travels together. However.... for some reason, the audio playback is messed up on this thing. The tape is fine, the camcorder itself can read the audio for the purposes of FireWire transfer just fine, but it always has issues just playing back.

The audio just cuts in/out very frequently, just about every other second clips out into silence. I attached footage of an analog capture card capturing some random test footage to demonstrate the problem. I am not bothering to attach a FireWire transfer, just trust me when I say the audio is 100% uninterrupted over FireWire, so clearly the camcorder can read the audio for that. Both captures are of the same part of the same tape FROM THE SAME CAMCORDER.

So I can do FireWire transfers to my PC and all of the audio is transferred, no problem. The camcorder can record audio, and it can read it for the purposes of transferring/archiving. But it can't play it back LIVE without issue. The playback I can hear on the camcorder itself is choppy, and this also applies to its TRRS-to-RCA output that I hook up to my CRT TV for us to view (and to the capture card for the test footage supplied here).

So the problem is obviously the camcorder, since the tapes are fine - but for some reason it can read the audio to transfer over FireWire, but it has problems trying to play back the audio directly.

My questions are thus:

1. Is this possibly an alignment issue? I have heard that alignment issues can cause glitchy audio, but I wasn't sure that would be the case if the audio TRANSFERS fine over FireWire but only has issues in PLAYBACK.
    2. If it IS an alignment issue, and I have recorded these tapes with the heads misaligned, do I risk anything if I fix the alignment and then revisit these tapes? As in, should I keep the camcorder as-is since it was in this state when it recorded the footage, and only try to fix it after I've finished transferring all of my existing tapes? Or is there no harm done in trying to fix the alignment now?

My first step would be to try to adjust the alignment, after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj6Wdl88a2k [the camcorder does have little holes to access with a flathead screwdriver to fix the alignment, so that should be easy enough.]

I just want to better understand what it might mean if I have recorded a bunch of tapes with misaligned heads before I do that. I don't want to make things any worse with the tapes I've already recorded.

The camcorder has other issues (which are visible even from this lazy capture of test footage) so even if this doesn't fix the audio I'm likely to try the alignment fix EVENTUALLY anyway. I just want to understand if it's likely to be the cause of my audio issue, or if that's something else entirely. I also want to gauge whether fixing it might make the existing tapes that were recorded with the camcorder in a faulty state play back any worse.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you don't have a problem transferring the footage to computer over firewire than don't worry about the playback to analog audio out. And no it is not an alignment problem if the camcorder is able to transfer the recordings to computer without audio problems, Unless I completely misunderstood your post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding to the above.

It is not clear if the transfer over firewire simply solves the audio drop-outs or is of the same 'quality' as the analog transfer. And I state 'quality' since there is no discernable audio just a whole lot of noise.

Now some of that could be down to your TRRS-RCA cable. Was this supplied with the camcorder or acquired separately ? That 'noise' could well be interference from an incorrect connection from the camcorder since the plug might fit but is still not fit for purpose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh. And that youtube video is 'dangerous'. One should practice what one preaches and actually demonstrate head alignment and not merely theorise.

And since your issue is not head alignment you should also not mess around with that since you could do more damage than it is worth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I had a hunch messing with the heads could be destructive so I'm glad I checked.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If you don't have a problem transferring the footage to computer over firewire than don't worry about the playback to analog audio out. And no it is not an alignment problem if the camcorder is able to transfer the recordings to computer without audio problems, Unless I completely misunderstood your post.
    You didn't misunderstand at all, but I really do value the playback audio for the purposes of watching the footage back on my TV. I know that sounds silly but as you can see from the crappy sample this is not high quality footage so watching it together is almost more important than archiving it.

I suppose if fixing the playback audio is a nightmare I could burn DVDs from the transfers and we could watch those instead. Not ideal to have an extra step but not the end of the world if the playback issue is going to be a doozy.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Adding to the above.

It is not clear if the transfer over firewire simply solves the audio drop-outs or is of the same 'quality' as the analog transfer. And I state 'quality' since there is no discernable audio just a whole lot of noise.

Now some of that could be down to your TRRS-RCA cable. Was this supplied with the camcorder or acquired separately ? That 'noise' could well be interference from an incorrect connection from the camcorder since the plug might fit but is still not fit for purpose.
    The noise is my roommate running the kitchen sink in the background and is how the audio is meant to sound. I used a clip without speech to respect their privacy but I see how that was probably confusing..

It's not the cable because this (sound cutting in and out) is also how the audio sounds on the camcorder itself when playing back for a FireWire transfer. No RCA out at all there. But miraculously the FW transfer is perfect. So it's the camcorder but somewhere that makes audio playback messed up but transfer fine. Does that make sense?

Edit: since it's not the alignment my guess is a real fix will probably require surgery. I have opened up and resoldered stuff before but nothing as delicate as a camcorder, so I'm only willing to do it if anyone can point me to good documentation or resources on doing so as asafely as possible. Open to additional thoughts..
    Last edited by ArcanaXIX; 25th Aug 2022 at 12:00. Reason: specify boundaries for repair
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. But you confuse the issue even more since you originally stated that transfer over firewire was 'perfect'.

There is, in my humble opinion, noise that can not be explained as you have attempted. Maybe you should post another sample where the tap is not running and more than that send both the firewire AND RCA versions of the same sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sure, happy to do that later, but you can trust me when I say FW captures the audio without interruption and cam playback + RCA out both cut out intermittently. "Perfect" meant uninterrupted, the quality itself is bad because the source footage is crappy test footage.

I'll post requested samples when I have more time later today.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I would assume the issue is somewhere in the audio DAC board where the data is extracted from tape and converted back to analog audio, Most likely surface mounted capacitors, The troubleshooting and repair are beyond an average person, It would involve heating up and freezing individual components on the PCB and see which one improves or worsen the problem, Once the component is identified a replacement will follow, Replacing SMD components is not fun, I would just call this a right off and buy another camcorder that works, Usually miniDV camcorders are not that expensive unless you want to get into the HDV territory even then some do go very cheap online.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That makes sense. Hmm.... I think I'm going to do the following.

1. Finish transferring all tapes as is (almost done)
    2. Go ahead and risk surgery
    3. If I break it.... roommate and I can just watch the captures digitally while I order a new cam lololol

I've done capacitor and other part replacements on circuit boards before, but this would probably be the trickiest I've attempted. If I break the device (worst case scenario) and have to buy a different one at least I'm not much worse off. The hardest part is going to be identifying the exact cause of the issue on the board, as you've said... but if I can spot the speakers and where their signal is coming from on the board maybe I can figure it out. I could try just replacing all the capacitors on the audio signal path and see if it fixes anything.

I will post here if I do attempt surgery later and whether or not I break it in the attempt (as a cautionary tale, haha). I'll post the samples when I transfer the remaining tapes to demonstrate, but I think dellsam is right on the money with where the issue lies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well rather you than me in this situ

If you have not outsourced the Service Manual(s) they are available here:

https://elektrotanya.com/jvc_gr_d250.rar/download.html#dl
    Quote Quote