VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HELLO!

I'd like to transfer my parents' 8mm reel film to digital format - preferably DVD. I'd like decent quality, but no fancy restoration.

A quick estimate indicates it might be worthwhile to rent a WorkPrinter XP or (Cinemate?) other reel to DVD transfer/conversion machine.

I'd like advice on options:
    - recommendations on which machine
    - any links to rentals of these machines
    - would anyone be interested in "sharing" the machine? (Purchase together, share for a month or two on each end, then either continue this sharing or sell used to recoup money)
    - maybe a few newbies out there like me cannot afford to buy a machine, but would spend a few hundred dollars for use.

It would probably be worthwhile to do this myself, but purchasing a Workprinter XP for use for only a few weeks is something I cannot afford. If we could get a few people interested in pooling funds, then it could be worthwhile for everyone.

Terri
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    http://www.film-to-video.com/
    Beware if you are offended by the suggestion that DVD might not be an acceptable archival format you will not like this site
    While he might be very good, he doesn't give many examples of his work, over-sells miniDV, under-sells DVD, and makes no mention of the fact that if you're that bothered, you're going to transfer 16mm (at least) to HD, not some poxy SD format.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote