VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to record on the RCA DRC 8030N Hard drive and then transfer the drive to a PC so that I can use VideoReDo to edit out commercials but when I attach the RCA DRC 8030N Hard drive to the PC, the PC bios recognizes the drive is in the system but Win XP Home (OS) does not display the drive letter or drive contents.

I also tried to use Partition Commander to look at the drive and it sees the drive but shows the entire drive as free space with no partition.

Does any one know how the drive is partitioned and what OS are they using??
    Kasitrol
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From other searches I found the fat32 partition, what is needed. Do not install any OS they system will automatically will formatt the unit. G/L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by computerdr
    From other searches I found the fat32 partition, what is needed. Do not install any OS they system will automatically will formatt the unit. G/L
    ???

That doesn't make any sense for several reasons. First, if the HDD was FAT32, the OS would be able to read it. Second, he isn't trying to install or format a HDD into the player, he is wanting to take a functional HDD from the player and read it using the PC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Many reorders use a propriety format that is not read or dealt with by an OS

My liteon/ilo units use Fat 32. I use Win 98se that uses fat 32 but the basic 32k cluster size and should have no problem/
    The fat 32 in the recorders tweak the cluster size to 64k and this can present problems but I can overcome this. An OS even XP might not deal with this.

I would not use software like Partition Magic ---Etc.
    Use of 3rd party software can and often does lead to lost information

About a year ago I got a RCA DRC 8030N unit at Wal Mart It worked fine but was returned as it did not do as I wanted
    Its been some time and I do not heve a manual but as I recall it did have an Edit and commercial removal could be done with the unit

If so
    Why do you find it necessary to take the HDD to a PC

PS
    DO not format a disk in a PC Or anywhere but in the recorder used. To do so could confuse the reorder And lead it to declare a disk error or invalid disk this happens often when using RW disks

My units will format a disk or the HDD it a full erase using the unit itself. Many other units will also perform such but might do so using a different function
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does anyone know the max size Hard drive you can put in this unit and it would format it?
    I tried a 500GB, it gives me the format window, I select format and then it says wait and the unit shuts down. I waited awhile and then remotely powered it on but I then just get the HELLO and then a blank screen.

Has anyone formatted a hard drive in the unit? How long does it take? what size HD?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    500GB what? Need the company name, type and power requirements. 500GB might be too big. Most units will accept 400GB or smaller. Some people have said the new "green" drives from WD and others can be used but I've not tested these in any of my recorders. Power supply in these units not the most robust so it may be there isn't enough power to operate the drive. "Hello" means the unit is not recognizing the drive or burner. Put in a smaller compatable drive and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks, I will try a 250GB that I have also ordered. I am also thinking avbout putting in a laptop hard drive with the convert board as it uses less power. Will let you know how it works.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two of these units and successfully installed 320GB drives into both without any problems. It was very quick and easy.

With the large hard drives, I was hoping to put some video files onto them, but, for example, if I put in a home-made (non-copy protected) video DVD, it won't allow me to select "Copy to DVR". It appears that the only DVD items you can put in the Video library are TV shows recorded onto a DVD from the unit's tuner. Or is there some workaround?
    Quote Quote