VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,i have just bought this player sony BDP-S350 and saw in this forum the region codes crack,but still confuse how to make it...first i don't know where the magic button is on the remote control.....Also in its own menu there is region code to choose,is this fake or what?when i press 0000 it let me to choose another 4 digits codes but i don't know what to do next in this menu.can anyone tried yet to choose another region from its own menu? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't post same message in several topics.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SorryMr Baldrick,for repeating the same question but i was new here and the first post i made was a mistake by a reply.THanks for giving me an attention not to do the same post for twice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have BOTH remotes, correct? You need the Sony remote AND a OneForAll remote. The remote used in these instruction s was the OneForAll URC-7040.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This link should explain how to find the "magic button" on a One-for-All (URC) or Radio Shack remote. Read on down aways for the description of advanced and discrete codes. That sounds like what mao141 is referring to in his hack for the BDP-S350.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml#1.7
    Quote Quote  
  6. I need to apply a region code on my sony but what remote should I buy, and can I do my tv and satellite with this remote as well?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does making the DVD player region free invalidate the warranty?

Thank you

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    help me with this please! Is there a magic button on every remote??? I have my remote that came with my TV and I think it might have one...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Megagab99
    help me with this please! Is there a magic button on every remote??? I have my remote that came with my TV and I think it might have one...
    On EVERY remote? I seriously doubt that. Sony models, when they could be hacked, have been notorious for requiring the use of special remotes to do the job.

Since you live in Canada, you need to be aware that it's getting darn near impossible to find any DVD players in Canada and the USA that can be made region free any more. Hollywood has convinced almost everybody that makes them to stop making players that can be hacked. The situation is worst here in the USA and Canada, but it's a problem everywhere. Even if you buy a special remote that is said to work, you may find that the hack codes don't work at all on your model due to hardware changes during production.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's really too bad. luckily i bough a hackable DVD player several years ago that is hooked up to my other TV, but it would still be better if I could hack my Blu-ray player...
    Is there a list of remotes that have a magic button?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I somehow overlooked that you're talking about a BluRay player. To the best of my knowledge, the only BluRay player sold in the USA or Canada that can be made region free for DVDs is a Momitsu player. A very small number of BluRay players do have hacks for DVD region free play, but none of those hacks work on models sold in the USA and Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make the blu-ray player read every region DVDs, in case you thought that I wanted it to play different region Blu-rays.
    I know that a Sony BDP-S350 bough in Europe can be hacked, but I bough mine in Canada.
    Is it possible that the one bought in Europe can be hacked and that mine can't (even if it's the same model) ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    has anyone succesfully hacked a US Sony Blu-ray player? (my model or other)????

Come on, is it hackable?
    I need to know since I do not have a One-For-All remoted and if it isn't there is no point of buying one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make the blu-ray player read every region DVDs, in case you thought that I wanted it to play different region Blu-rays.
    That function is EXACTLY what I talked about. I said nothing about making it region free for BluRay discs.

I know that a Sony BDP-S350 bough in Europe can be hacked, but I bough mine in Canada.
    Is it possible that the one bought in Europe can be hacked and that mine can't (even if it's the same model) ?
    Making a new post asking the same exact question in a new thread (https://forum.videohelp.com/topic366998.html) won't change the facts of what I said earlier, as you will find out - region free hacks for BluRay players (other than Momitsu) do NOT work on models sold in the USA and Canada. And the vast majority of BluRay players can't even be hacked for region free DVD play either regardless of where they are sold.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, that's too bad... I'm still checking maybe someone HAS done it with a US or Canadian model...
    Yes, well I don't like changing the subjet inside someone else's topic...
    But I am sure that it IS hackable in Europe 100% (had several people confirm that xD).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried this unfortunatley unsuccessfully on my bdp s350. The blue light flashes but it will still not play other region discs. Is there a link to download a file so that it can be done from a disc?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm new to this thread, having just bought a Sony BDP S490 in the UK and discovered that it will not play Region 1 DVDs, so trying to understand how to use a OneforAll remote to recode it so that it does. Have found two similar sets of instructions on this Forum having bought an OneforAll URC 7130 remote and followed them, but still no joy!

As there are no specific instructions for this particular DVD player (or URC remote) I have used the sequence of numbers available from the person who reset their Sony BDP-S590 using a 3940 OneforAll remote AND, following no luck with those, the sequence of numbers available from the person who reset their Sony BDP-S480 using a 7562 OneforAll remote - as far as I could see the only difference between these 2 sets of instructions was in the initial code quoted at line 3.

But no success. And it's not clear whether the DVD needs to be ON or OFF when doing all this?

I can see from this thread that you've all been working on this problem for some time ... so any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  18. LATER ... CRACKED IT!

I tried the hack below, and IT WORKED! So, for anyone else looking to unlock a SONY BDP S490 DVD player using a OneforAll URC Remote model 7130 here is the hack:

Region free BDP-S490 for DVD playback only, BD untested.

Full procedure for a oneforall remote is as follows:

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189 (if your oneforall remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice )

9. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    10. Press 994
    11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    12. Press 00255
    13. Press 2 ( this sets it to key 2 - it flashes twice )

14. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    15. Press 994
    16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    17. Press 00095
    18. Press 3 ( this sets it to key 3 - it flashes twice )

19. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    20. Press 994
    21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    22. Press 00221
    23. Press 4 ( this sets it to key 4 - it flashes twice )

24. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    25. Press 994
    26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    27. Press 00079
    28. Press 5 ( this sets it to key 5 - it flashes twice )

The remote is now programmed and ready to use, to make the BDP-S490 region free:

1. Use the remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby if it has gone into Standby - mine didn't, make sure there isn't a disc in it.
    2. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the oneforall remote. The message 'OK' will appear on the display.
    3. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote
    4. Next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback.

PHEW!

And just to add - the key difference as far as I could see with this solution and the other 2 I found on the Forum was the instructions at lines 8, 13, 18, 23 and 28 ie telling it that it is the specific key 1, 2, 3 etc.

Thank you Forum!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Cluelesstechie. I also have a Sony BDP-S350 that I am trying to make region free and bought a OneForAll URC 7130 to do this but mine does not have a seperate DVD button. Do you have a different model as the procedure you quote doesn't work without a DVD button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ well if you carefully read the reply above your post you will see that the poster is referring to a different model to yours S490 not S350

And it is bad form to dig up a old topic just to post this question.

Better to start a new topic although the issue with Sony BD players has not changed AFAIK
    Quote Quote  
  21. Sorry, but I am on holiday at the moment, nowhere neare my DVD player and gizmo and therefore cannot check. Good luck, hope you solve it. It was a case of trial and error for me!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's all very well DB83 but I have also seen this very same procedure posted in different places as being applicable to several different Sony BD's so it is reasonable to assume that it is a pretty standard procedure when trying to make them region free for DVD's. As for digging up an old topic, well, this topic is very much alive for ME as I have had a S350 for some years and want to make it region-free as I really like it and do not want to have to buy a new multi-region one-and I suspect I am not the only one.

If a topic is considered old and not worth bothering with any more then it should be removed, should it not!.

I don't know what you mean by the "issue with Sony BD players". Do you mean that they can't be made region-free for Blu-rays?. Well, that's not what I want, I am only interested in DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But, frankly, you hi-jacked the topic since you are not dealing with the same model even if that procedure works.

Topics are, generally, not deleted, but sleeping dogs should be left alone. Like I said, the forum actively encourages new topics but hi-jacking is against the rules and you should read them before you mouth off.

And, had you checked, there are several topics on here about your model. I have not read them so they might not answer your issue. But they are more relevant although even older than this one.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi-jacked?. Have you even LOOKED at the very first post on thjis thread?. It's so encouraging to see a first-time poster greeted with such nit-picking and negativity when they ask a perfectly geniune question!. As for sleeping dogs being left alone, surely even you can see that it is far better for all the questions and answers on one topic to be in place rather than having to search all over for the information. Luckily I have been able to find what I need from a much more helpful source ,so thank you BD83, for nothing!.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, my apology, the hi-jacking was not yours. It was the two posts above that you replied to.

As for the OP, that also has nothing to do with what you are seeking.

If you have solved your problem then fine. But there is more than one topic on here that a user has bricked his player in an attempt to make it region-free.
    Quote Quote