VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I currently use Premiere Pro 2.0 for my firewire/DV capture for my business.

A client wants me to do work using 2 camera mix and uses SVHS cameras/VHS-C.

I want to be able to do multicam in Premiere Pro but how would I go about capturing the SVHS via USB 2.0?? I was looking at a 'dazzle' capture card but only captures via MPEG2 would that work on adobe?? I only have experience with .AVI files.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you normally work in DV (as I do), I would say your best bet would be to use you camcorder as a passthrough device. Then you will be transferring over Firewire as DV irrespective of what format or media the source is.

Personally, I wouldn't go for any of the USB capture devices unless you get one of the Canopus ADVC units that do the same job as a camcorder with passthrough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One problem with that,

Client does many tapings a week and is only able to send me the tapes to edit, the module you suggested is quite pricey..quality isn't an issue so anything on the 'low-end' would be fine.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If he only sends you the tapes, how are you supposed to play them back? If, as I said, you have a digital camcorder capable of passthrough, use that instead of a Canopus, it'll do the same job using something you (hopefully) already have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't have a DV camcorder with pass through you can buy a used one on Craig's list quite cheap but do your research on which models have that feature.

If you are using Premiere Pro 2, an ADVC type DV transcoder device (also ADS Pyro, DAC-100/200, etc.) will also allow you to output the Premiere timeline to a video monitor so you can see what you are doing. This is even more important for VHS sources. A camcorder can do this as well but requires a different brightness setting on the TV.
    Quote Quote