VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I don't doubt that the solution would be apparent to me if I searched. Please forgive me that my ineptitude and procrastination has caused you to have to look a what is probably a question that has been answered many times.

I'm ready to purchase DVD authoring (and maybe burning) software for the purpose of putting together a simple DVD consisting of approximately 14 WMV files (~100mb each) created in PhotoStory and a menu for them. I say "purchase" because while I was almost successful with free software (DeVeDe burned a disc but it wasn't readable by at least one of my bluray players, and AVStoDVD seemed promising but my Surface Pro 2 literally died while running on the 2nd attempt to burn after 6 hours of processing), I am running out of time to turn this around for my wife.

Fry's has MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium 2019 on sale for $63 and VEGAS Movie Studio 15 on sale for $32. Is there one that is better than the other for getting the aforementioned content on to an organized disc, in an easy way so that I can just have my wife do this next time? She is smarter than I am but lacks the patience that seems to be required for the learning curves of the free options. Windows 10. Doesn't have to be one of those titles-- just the easiest to use and most reliable for simple functions and ideally costs less than $70.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK both of these come as Try-before-you-buy so there is nothing to lose before you commit to purchase.

But if this is the only project you could probably just settle with the trial.

But I do wonder if the real issue here is the source files. AVStoDVD will usually take anything you throw at it. If it is failing then commercial software is not likely to do any better.

What you could also do is upload one of those source files here as an attachment and we can then see if the source really is the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    AFAIK both of these come as Try-before-you-buy so there is nothing to lose before you commit to purchase. But if this is the only project you could probably just settle with the trial. But I do wonder if the real issue here is the source files. AVStoDVD will usually take anything you throw at it. If it is failing then commercial software is not likely to do any better. What you could also do is upload one of those source files here as an attachment and we can then see if the source really is the issue.
    Thank you for the (speedy) response! When AVStoDVD finally did finish the first time, I believe the error imgburn was throwing was "VIDEO_TS.IFO is not a valid IFO file". I tried it again, opting to just have it create an ISO instead of passing over to imgburn directly. That's when I woke up and found my little SP2 dead. I dunno if it matters but for some reason the WMVs got created as PAL, and I think I did ask for an NTSC output from avstodvd. I'll look at it again once I get home and stand up a desktop (which will hopefully be much faster!) Thanks for the trial suggestions as well-- It is a yearly thing so if I do try a commercial solution I'll test drive it first.

I feel so old. Apples and oranges but I fondly remember expertly working my cd burners, moving from my cutting-edge 2x PATA cd burners up through 8x SCSI imations that were flashed to be plextors. Now I can't even burn a movie using tech that's been around for 10 years. I'm thinking my memory is probably grossly understating my difficulties with the CDs.
    Last edited by posternutbag; 14th Jan 2019 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would only matter if your dvd player/tv has problems with PAL dvds. AVStoDVD does a good job make a PAL disk from NTSC sources or vice-versa.

Never seen that error in imgburn. You did try to burn the video_ts folder and not the individual files inside it ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It was late but I don't recall actually telling imgburn to do anything on top of just selecting the burn disc option in AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough.

I have never used the 'burn dvd' option. Prefer to create the dvd folder and test that in a software player such as vlc before throwing the folder in to imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try having a look at VSO ConvertXtoDVD 7

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

I've used this in the past since v4 and now v7 but it doesn't have any real filtering like AVS2DVD that uses AviSynth for real power

Has a 7-day trial. No crippleware, no watermarks, FULL access trial

It should do what you want and has an easy to use menu creator or can create a menu for you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
    Hello,

Fry's has MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Premium 2019 on sale for $63 and VEGAS Movie Studio 15 on sale for $32. Is there one that is better than the other ...
    Caution: With VEGAS Movie Studio 15 you should go at least for the Platinum version as only this includes DVD Architect which is needed to author and burn DVDs with menus etc.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/

Quote Quote