VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

30 years ago my father had a local store in New Jersey (Sparta Video) convert our home movies from reel tape to Beta video. 15 years later he had the same store convert the Beta tapes to DVD. Now I have loaded the dvd files to my hard drive and can watch them using 'PowerDVD'.

I have been loading them to YouTube so the rest of the family can watch them. I was able to load all but one by adding .mpeg to the file names.

Each video plays for 30 minutes and is 1GB in size.

The only difference in files is when it comes to what my computer identifies as 'length'. Those I can load to youtube show a 'length' as 00:00:36 or shorter, while the one I want to load has 00:34:00. This video fails at the very end of the upload after processing for 20 minutes.

The odd thing is they all play for 30 minutes and then end when I play them on my PC.

I tried one converter product that was free, 'Convert.files', thinking converting it to MOV or MP3 would be the answer and that failed to convert (after loading for 20 minutes).

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use VOB2MPG to properly remux them to MPG. Also home movies will almost certainly be interlaced which won't work well with Youtube. You'll want to deinterlace them to 60p before uploading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ElaineLynch View Post
    The odd thing is they all play for 30 minutes and then end when I play them on my PC.
    Open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (if the discs have one).....not the first VOB file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by ElaineLynch View Post
    Open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file (if the discs have one).....not the first VOB file.
    Right, just use MakeMKV to create a mkv of the title, if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much!

Thank you for the two links I will try them today. I will have to look up what a MKV file is (learning).

I no longer have the actual DVD's (I gave them to my sister so she can watch them).

I attached a screen shot - the file I am having issues with is '1973 to 1974 Mulligan, Leonard, Anglin Home movies'

[Attachment 46484 - Click to enlarge]

I will report back
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the MakeMKV, when the VOB2MPG got complex because I have windows 10.

It only recognized The 'Video TS' ISO file. I ran it anyway and it gave me this message:

MakeMKV v1.12.3 win(x64-release) started
    Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
    Opening files on harddrive at C:/Users/xwpvo/Videos/Mulligan Home Movies 1968 or 69 Christmas to 1977ish
    Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
    Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
    Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 66 != 928
    The source file 'VTS_01_0.IFO' is corrupt or invalid at offset 2052, attempting to work around
    Failed to open disc

any advice?

Thanks, Elaine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Essentially you have renamed the vob files. Hence they can not be recognised.

Rename them back to what they were ie remove all the text BEFORE vts... and rename the troublesome vid to vts_01_3.vob and the mpeg part back to vob.

As jagabo stated you have to properly extract the mpeg video from the entire dvd. You will end up with one file that runs for some 2 hours but once you have that there is a way to split it to more manageable proportions.

@jagabo

Has yt changed ? I uploaded interlaced mpeg2 file in the past and had no issues with it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    @jagabo

Has yt changed ? I uploaded interlaced mpeg2 file in the past and had no issues with it.
    It's just that I've seen lots of interlaced junk at Youtube. Maybe it' does something sensible with interlaced MPG? Does it deinterlace? Single frame rate? Double frame rate? How good? Can you point to any samples?

<edit>
    Looks like they use something like Yadif, single frame rate.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Aug 2018 at 19:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok - I reverted the file names and ran MakeMKV. It ran and created a file. I don't see that MKV is Youtube supported, but I am loading it now to see.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote