VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello everyone. i am a contractor and want to do a time lapse video on a jobsite and unsure about the interval. For example, i am doing some interior remodeling and want to set my Go Pro-9 up in the main area. We will be working probably 8-12 hours a day. i will be moving the camera around a couple of times, on a tripod. i did a bunch of reading and it seems i need to have an interval of .5 or 1 second. i have a 512gb sd card, but will be moving the image to my laptop nightly to clear the card, i dont think file size will be an issue. i am using 4K

couple of questions,
    - is .5 or 1 second correct?
    - will 30 frames work? or stick with 60 frames per second?

i figure i want the final video to be under 2 minutes

any other tips will help

thank you everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Running time (sec) = #Frames / FPS (frames per sec)

Or F = Fps * S

Simple math...solve using equivalence.

F¹ = Fps¹ * S¹
    F² = Fps² * S²
    and with time lapse
    F¹ = F²
    so
    Fps¹ * S¹ = Fps² * S²
    If S² = 120, (120sec being 2 minutes)
    You pick the variable you need and plug in the rest.

For example, if you want the final (Fps²) to run at 30fps, you pick a combination which fits.
    Fps * S = 30 * 120 = 3600 frames.

This could be 2hrs at 0.5Fps (1 frame every 2 secs), or 8hrs at 0.125Fps (1 frame every 8 secs), or 24hrs at 0.04166Fps (1 frame every 24secs), or 240hrs at 0.004166Fps (1 frame every 2 minutes), etc.

It doesn't have to be completely contiguous (day through night), but I strongly suggest you leave it locked down in the EXACT SAME spot the whole time (or the whole time for each "scene"), otherwise you will have some jarring continuity errors.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25th Nov 2021 at 23:21.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did an 18 month timelapse project with gopro.

I tended to change the capture rate depending on what action was happening. 1fps for action, one frame every five/ten seconds for less action

I would suggest capture 1 frame every second for your project, as for wanting it to be under 2 minutes will be down to your editing skills, pulling out the best shots and dumping the rubbish shots.
    Quote Quote