VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

Im trying to combine and compress 60 avi files from a DVI capture that were from a single day.

I tried using Avidemux to combine, which works fine, but when I compress using hevc, either into an avi or an mkv container, my media player no longer automatically deinterlaces (maybe the video is no longer 480i or something is happening in the compression process). I tried with ffmpeg in virtual dub but the same thing happened (media player classic no longer auto-deinterlaces the video).

How can I combine batches of avi files into one, while compressing as much as I can without significantly impacting naked-eye quality, and have the file automatically deinterlaced by media players the way they are right from DVI extract?

Open to other programs.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Trucknotmonkey View Post
    but when I compress using hevc,
    hevc interlaced decoding support is limited . It's not recommended to use hevc if you encode interlaced or mbaff - use avc/h264 instead
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I tried that (settings picture attached). But as you can see, the combined and compressed version has horrible aliasing compared to when I play the file that came straight from my minidv camera.
    [Attachment 54853 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 54854 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you encode interlaced ?

For avidemux -
    Push configure > frame tab > checkmark interlaced, bottom field first (DV is BFF by convention)

Also, AVC in MP4 container (instead of AVI container) will probably be supported by more software and hardware players

Also, don't for get to set the aspect ratio ( native DV is never "square pixel") . It's in the output1 tab in the configuration
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did not encode interlaced. trying that now. Is there an automated way of setting a chapter for each file segment I combined (with the file name?) Would be nice to keep the original time stamps.

Thanks so much for your help!!! Have spent many hours on this (I thought Digital tapes would be easier than the 40 VHS-Cs I did a few months back - wrong! haha)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not sure about setting chapters automatically; It might be possible in mkvmerge with the original files, I'll have to think about it; but of course those won't be compressed

Uncompressed PCM is not supported in MP4 container by open source muxers, so you might have to stick with AVI or MKV if "copying" audio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Not sure about setting chapters automatically; It might be possible in mkvmerge with the original files, I'll have to think about it; but of course those won't be compressed

Uncompressed PCM is not supported in MP4 container by open source muxers, so you might have to stick with AVI or MKV if "copying" audio
    Appreciate it.

I ran AVC x264 into an MKV container and looks good!! Thanks so much!

Now just have to double check that there arent any audio sync issues and i may see if x265 under same settings works similarly, or if I run into any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Trucknotmonkey View Post
    and i may see if x265 under same settings works similarly, or if I run into any problems.

It won't work for HEVC/x265, because you have to feed it fields , not frames.

And the decoder side has to re-assemble the fields. No HEVC decoder that I know of has interlaced support implemented
    Quote Quote  
  9. I must not be understanding the OP's request. Why not simply put the files onto your NLE's timeline and then render the result to whatever codec you want? Heck you can do that in VirtualDub or MeGUI or Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Or you can use DVavi helper.zip (needs to install Avisynth + Cedocida DV Codec) then you just drop 60 DVavi clips on make interlace MP4.bat file that encodes interlaced MP4, you get 60 encoded MP4 files in OUTPUT directory.
    Defaults are 256000 bitrate for AAC audio and CRF 17 is used with x264 encoder. It can be changed in settings.BAT.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Im going to go with x264 in mkv container.

@poisondeathray solved my issue: I was not encoding as interlaced - BFF which was why videos had aliasing after (but not before) processing.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote