VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know if there are easy-to-use Free programs that remove watermark from pictures?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Irfanview
    Paint.net (the program, not the website)
    Gimp

Look in the menus for a Clone or Stamp tool

Sorry, I'm not able to give specific instructions on how to use these programs because I use Photoshop, but it's pretty intuitive once you find the tool
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just want to remove the words but not the colors around the picture. Do these three programs destroy the quality or affect the quality of the picture? I’m curious as to how these programs work to know When you use the eraser to just remove the watermark and not erase the color and images of the picture?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 20th May 2018 at 19:06.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    Do these three programs destroy the quality or affect the quality of the picture?
    Yes. I wouldn't say the image will be destroyed, but the quality will be affected. Unless you have another image with the area you're working on without the logo , there's no way to know with certainty what the original area beneath the logo looked like. It takes your eyes and intuition to decide that what you're replacing the logo with is a close approximation of what was likely there.

Take a painting restoration for example. To the general public, the restored areas may look perfect, but an art expert will notice that the restored paint color, texture and brush stroke pressure is not exactly like the original.

Also, while the rest of the image (not cloned over) is unaffected, there will still be a slight quality loss when you save the corrected image. Again, 99.9% of the public would never be able to tell the difference, but since the original image you're working with is already a copy unless the "logo" was part of the original image (e.g. A time/date stamp from a camera), you're making a copy of an already lower quality image.

How do they actually know to remove the watermark and not the background of the colors around it from the picture?
    Watch this tutorial or one of the hundreds of other tutorials on YouTube (search Gimp clone tool or Paint.net clone tool) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSfvX7WeqA

As stated above, the program takes Area A and copies it to Area B. You have to determine which Area A best matches the Area B you're trying to replace.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just saw some videos on cloning. I didn’t know that’s how it removes the watermark. The issue is the watermark goes across multiple colors and areas, people’s faces and across most of the picture so it will be extremely difficult to copy and paste and clone because the details are so diverse.
    Last edited by jyeh74; 20th May 2018 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No computer program can do all cloning automatically. This is where YOUR eyes and intuition come in to play. Note that it's even harder with video since the lighting and colors can change frame to frame.

Finally, from your description, you may be asking about copyrighted material (can't think of any other reason a logo would be over people's faces) and that's against forum rules. If you can prove it's not copyrighted material someone else can continue to help. In any case, I'm out of this thread. Good luck!
    Last edited by lingyi; 20th May 2018 at 20:29.
    Quote Quote  
  7. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    There is a program called Inpaint, which will do this. It's not free, although from time to time, it's given away free on giveawayoftheday.com, which is how I got it.
    You can, however, use it for free online at https://www.webinpaint.com/.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  8. That link bounces with the period at the end.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    At the top left click the about tab and it will take you to the correct page.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  10. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I tried this program. I used the mask (red) to highlight the watermark to remove it. I’m not sure what the donor (green) is. But after I hit the erase button, it got rid of the marked area but it’s very fuzzy. Almost distorted the picture to render it unviewable. Is that normal?
    Quote Quote  
  12. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    Try using a smaller size red marker and if the watermark is a big one, try to erase it in stages.
    I've never used the online program for this, as I have a more recent downloaded edition from giveawayoftheday, that uses a slightly different method. Not that I need to remove many watermarks, mostly blemishes from photos and other artwork.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This takes skill, not just software.
    Attach the image here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well, there are plenty of apps that could be used for removing watermarks, but honestly, there are some issues that should be taken in the sight when we are speaking about watermarks. Most of the apps are having big issues when they are removing the watermark from the bright color palette or from a dark photo as well. In most of the cases there will be a blur on the watermark spot. So to say, I was looking for an app, that will remove the watermark, and will restore the watermark spot totally, so it will look like there was never a watermark on that place. I tried www.softorbits.com/remove-watermark-from-video/ and this is the best app for this moment. This app can perfectly remove the watermarks and you won't be able to locate the it, or even think that the photo or a video had a watermark on it
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post a short before and after video comparison with a moving mulitcolored backgaround. Post the video directly here, not on Youtube which encodes and hides imperfections. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    You're answering the fellow above, GoodFollow? If so, he's promoting a commercial product and I don't believe for a second that "this is the best app for this moment".
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just giving him/her the benefit of doubt before hitting the big "S" button. If the software performs some CSI, Bladerunner, AI, self-learning, etc. magic that "...will restore the watermark spot totally, so it will look like there was never a watermark on that place.."on her face in this video, I'm in!

[Attachment 51520 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by lingyi; 17th Jan 2020 at 23:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every watermark I've ever seen "removed" just created a more-distracting fuzzy/blurry blob in its place.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you remove a watermark from any of my images, I will sue you into oblivion!
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just remembered something, just somewhat related. Years ago I worked on creating a mailout for a local political candidate who sometimes had a lazy eye, so the pic they insisted on using had his left eye looking at his right. I had a few other photos I could work with, but none of them exactly matched the lighting and pose of of the one I was working on. And being for a political mailout with thousands of prints, everything had to be perfect without an obvious manipulation. It took me a couple of hours, but I cloned his right eye and adjusted everything to match what his left eye should have looked like. His wife and campaign manager were shocked when they saw they preview. Let's see software automatically do that!
    Quote Quote  
  21. I just remembered something, just somewhat related. Years ago I worked on creating a mailout for a local political candidate who sometimes had a lazy eye, so the pic they insisted on using had his left eye looking at his right. I had a few other photos I could work with, but none of them exactly matched the lighting and pose of of the one I was working on. And being for a political mailout with thousands of prints, everything had to be perfect without an obvious manipulation. It took me a couple of hours, but I cloned his right eye and adjusted everything to match what his left eye should have looked like. His wife and campaign manager were shocked when they saw they preview. Let's see software automatically do that!
    Reminds me of a classic sketch by french comedians Les Inconnus, where a trio of coked-up advertising designers is tasked to work on the campaign of a struggling politician with no appeal whatsoever, starting with his name Jacques Glandu (akin to “Jack Dickhead”, which they change to that of a far removed ancestor of his wife, Beauregard, “Goodglance”), and a strong strabismus that they try to market as a “left-right compromise”... before they resolve to cover his eyes with his (fake) name and be done with it... for a “2 billion” budget...

If you remove a watermark from any of my images, I will sue you into oblivion!
    That would be a good pitch for a summer blockbuster or a procedural show these days... “THIS WEEK ON NETFLIX... COME HELL OR HIGH WATERMARK!
    Quote Quote