VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried DVDInfo V1.00 RC4 with my new Nec ND-1300 and it works fine to identify dvd-r/w media but not dvd+r/w media, it says
    Code:
    Command 000h returned:          
    Sense 05h        Illegal Request
    ASC   24h                       
    ASCQ  00h   Invalid field in CDB
    It works fine to burn on dvd+r/w media.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I tried DVDInfo V1.00 RC4 with my new Nec ND-1300 and it works fine to identify dvd-r/w media but not dvd+r/w media, it says
    Code:
    Command 000h returned:          
    Sense 05h        Illegal Request
    ASC   24h                       
    ASCQ  00h   Invalid field in CDB
    It works fine to burn on dvd+r/w media.
    this is normal. Only Sony can read Media Code ID from blank media. You will find the NEC will read it fine once the disc is used.

I am currently contacting all manufactures to try and get them to update their firmware. Ricoh so far are the only ones to respond, and they will be providing it in another way and are providing me with information on another way to read in on Ricoh drives. They will need a firmware update and will be coming soon. NEC so far have not responded.

Try it, use a disc and then try to get media code.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey....haven't tested with a used media yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Reading Media ID codes on Un-written DVD+R/RW Media

I get lots of emails about this topic so here is the explanation for all plus owners to read.

DVD-R/RW has its media id in a pre-recorded lead in track, DVD+R/RW does not. The media is is extracted from the Physical Format Information area on a DVD+R/RW.

The problem is that this information does not exist on a un-written +R or +RW media. So the question was how are Sony drives able to read something that does not exist?

I wrote to Sony, Ricoh and NEC about this and asked Ricoh and NEC to update thier firmware to allow what Sony do.

A reply from Ricoh Japan was quick and informative. They confirmed that Ricoh and NEC drives cannot read media id on blank media and they also are aware that Sony drives can.

They informed me that the drives were written to MMC3 not MMC4 and at that time it was unclear what to do if a request to read Physical Format Info 00h on blank media came in.

Ricoh's interpretation was to send back a sense error, while Sony were a bit more creative in their interpretation. Sony simply create physical format information from the ADIP information block which is on blank media.

Neither Ricoh nor Sony broke any MMC rules they simply interpreted MMC3 differently.

A new command in MMC4 provides a command to read ADIP information block and after receiving my email Ricoh have decided to add this command into the firmware for the next release of the MP5125a drive. This will take a little while do and they will inform me when its done, and I will notify here.

My copy of MMC4 is dated 28th April 2003 and so is very new and has this command is marked 'reserved' and so I have requested more info from Ricoh Japan. This will enable me to provide the full release (V1.00) of DVDInfo with compatibility with the new command.

The response from Ricoh has been fantastic. I have not heard from NEC yet.

I also emailed Sony about added 'BOOKTYPE" changing into their drives as Ricoh drives can do. Sony response was not good and nothing like the superb response from Ricoh. Sony simply 'passed the buck' and told me to contact Sony Australia as that is where I lived. (As if that would do any good). I have since emailed Sony again, informed them of Ricoh's response to a similar request and informed them of the importance of this matter.

I will let you know of any changes.

V1.00 of DVDInfo has been delayed pending new information from Ricoh so I may release V1.00 RC5 as an interim soon if there is enough interest in me doing so.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  5. Folks,

I have released V1.00 of DVDInfo.

Please download it from the web site.

http://www.nicsoft.com.au/dvdinfo.html

I was going to wait for Ricoh to send me some new info but it is going to be delayed further, so reading of blank media for DVD+R/RW on Ricoh drives will come later.

One other thing. I am beginning to notice that plus drives do not support test writing or simulation as some software calls it. I find this a big drawback. Would anyone like to comment on why if they have this information and, if anyone has a plus drive that does support it. Every plus unit I have tried so far does not, even the Sony 500AX supports it in minus media but not plus.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your last comment about + media not supporting simulation recording was a blessing.

Some time ago, I was driving myself nuts with some Verbatim DVD+R media I bought and regretted. Initially the Sony DRU500A with firmware v.1.0d was unable to finalize the disks. Using version 1.0g fixed this, but the first +R media I tried in simulation ended up nicely recorded. I made a posting about this and got no feedback. Needless to say, I never bought any Verbatim or +R media since then. I thought that Nero did one of it's stupid things again and started having second thoughts about the SONY.

Now you say that simulation is not available with +R media. This certainly agrees with my misery . Also, the fact that this issue was not brought up until now tells a lot about how little people are using +R media (or how little people simulate recordings).
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Folks,

I have released DVDInfo V1.04.

This fixes a couple of recent issues. DVD-R/RW media ID could be 2 characters short on some brand media, this has been corrected.

Windows 2003 Server was seen incorrectly and ASPI mode was forced, this has also been corrected.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great program. Never a flaw on my -R drives and systems.

Unlike the older ADVDinfo. Glad it's been replaced.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Folks,

I have now closed off V1.xx and no more work will be done on it. There will be one more release in this series V1.50 very soon.

Work has commenced on DVDInfo V2.00. I have a very early alpha version and I need some testers.

I am looking for bugs (I expect a few) and opinions and suggesions on the new gui.

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  10. Folks,

I have just posted DVDInfo V1.50 which contains some significant fixes for some users, especially SCSI owners.

Unless a major bug is found before the release of V2.0 this will be the last in the V1.xx custom dialog series.

Cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  11. Folks,

I am about to enter the RC phase of DVDInfo Pro Testing.

These will not be on the web site and all current beta testers purged, and new beta testers are encouraged to apply or re-apply. Please state you would like to participate in the RC phase.

Please let me know what area of testing you would like to do.

1. General usage testing
    2. Certain drives (please list your drives)
    3. Advanced Commands.
    4. Documentation proof reading.
    5. Anything else I have forgotten

cheers
    nicw
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    where is 1.5 ? all i get is 1.07

# by the way -- GREAT work !
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey nicw, have you changed the number of lines that are copied when using the "complete media code" command in recent versions of DVDInfo so that some media with blank IDs only get one or two lines copied?

Because I've seen several reports with this now and I would prefer to have a minimum of 3 lines copied (so that the complete mfr ID bytes are included even if they're empty) and maybe a maximum of 6 lines (if line 4-6 are not empty).
    Quote Quote  
  14. I can't get the media code from my Panasonic LF-D321 DVD-Ram/R drive
    Tell me do i need to use a blank media or a recorded media?? i tried both and always appear this:
    Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Drive doesn't support media code
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
    Application id
    Implementation id MEI_VED

I want to know too if i can get the media code from a dvd-rom??? or only from burner drives
    Quote Quote  
  15. Great program!

I have a Pioneer 105 and under the drive info tab, it shows DVD+R and DVD+RW checked. I double checked with the Pionooer site and "Show Drive Features and Profiles" shows no +features.

If this has been pointed out before, I'm sorry. thx don

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_17221_38105,00.html

Profile 0000h Reserved Profile
    Profile 0014h DVD-RW Sequential Recording
    Profile 0013h DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite
    Profile 0011h DVD-R Sequential Recording
    Profile 0010h DVD-ROM Read Only
    Profile 000ah CD-RW Re-Writable
    Profile 0009h CD-R Write Once
    Profile 0008h CD-ROM Read Only
    Drive Features
    Feature 0001h Core behaviour
    Feature 0002h Morphing
    Feature 0003h Removable Medium
    Feature 0004h Write Protectable
    Feature 0010h Random Readable
    Feature 001dh Multi Read CD
    Feature 001eh CD Read
    Feature 001fh DVD Read
    Feature 0021h Incremental Streaming Writable
    Feature 0023h Formattable
    Feature 0026h Restricted Overwrite
    Feature 002ch Rigid Restricted Overwrite
    Quote Quote  
  16. I downloaded dvdinfo and when I tried to use it...a window came up that it was obsolete and go to website...and then they ask for money to download.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hmm.... it seems that there are two versions.

ADVERT
    and
    ADVERT-FREE

version. I am not going to install it so I am not sure, but I believe that you can still download it for free but you will get advertisement.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    donpedro:

He meant that the program is broken, and that ADWARE version doesn't even work reliably. Considering I just downloaded it now and it's 2 months later, the ADWARE installed version is either buggy or completely broken. What's worse than an ADWARE program? One that doesn't work at all because it messed up on the date checking LOL. Comes up and immediately says it's out of date.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  19. DVDInfoPro 2.23 expired on 1st Dec 2003

DVDInfoPro 2.27 expired on 1st Feb 2003

I believe Nic will put the new version on the server as soon as possible
    Quote Quote  
  20. version 228 doesn't work either. I haven't been able to get it to work for a couple months now and no new versions are posted. It seems that DVDinfo is dead.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by MachineMan
    version 228 doesn't work either. I haven't been able to get it to work for a couple months now and no new versions are posted. It seems that DVDinfo is dead.
    Because 2.28 isn't the latest one now...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi,
    I'm using Pioneer 107D
    does DVDInfo able to check something like Parity Inner Error?

if not, which software should i use thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. Please help me out..

A while ago I was able to read the media codes off of cd-rs, now it doesnt do it..I dont know if its from updating the versions or what, but it just says Not Avalable. I dont know what to do..I had the current dvdinfopro then tried to downgrade to 2.40, still doesnt work at all. No cd-rs will read the media code in either my dvd burner or cd burner.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I like to ask a question.....is it possible for media X to have higher player compatibility even though it underperforms media Y in a speed test?
    Media x has smooth rising line while media Y has some steep jagged dips.
    What I am asking is media player compatibility something that cannot be measured with dvdinfopro?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Correction: I meant media X has the jagged dipps while media Y has the smooth rising line.
    Quote Quote