VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Forgive me for jumping ahead and cutting to the chase. I tried mp4box and video updater tools. Not much success, and too many programs for the new user. The best way, I found, to extract mp4 subtitles was to drop the mp4 into mkvmerge and remux as an MKV; then use mkvextract gui , same drag and drop, to extract the sub track into the same folder. After dropping the new MKV into mkvextract gui, just check the box (square to the left) next to ONLY the language subtitles you need to edit, not selecting font and chapter tags. You can, at this time, save other stuff by checking other boxes, but that's advanced, so extract only what you need. Click extract, being sure to save to the same folder. It's a good idea to rename the file(s) so you don't get confused with other attempts, lol. We just want the subtitle we want. From there, use Subtitle Edit to...um...edit, saving it as whatever you like using the drop down menu to preserve, for example, ASS etc. Renaming helps in case you messed up. Then open mkvmerge again and drop the newly created MKV (the one we made in step one) into mkvmerge...AND then the newly extracted/edited subs into the main box. At this point, I usually check the boxes (square to the left) of the video, audio and the subtitle I just dropped in, leaving all the other crap unchecked, and rename before remux. Then mux to the same folder and you have an MKV soft-subbed with your new subtitle and can turn the new subtitle on and off using "W" key in MPC and "V" key in VLC. Voila! From there you can pretty much do what you want since you read this tutorial carefully, haha, and have everything in separate files. Good luck!

Thanks pmshah for the excellent idea! I just expanded their idea into a quick tutorial.
    Last edited by milo77; 20th Jul 2016 at 00:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried mp4box? or a gui/frontend it for it like MyMp4boxgui.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello, dear all.

I'm having a problem to extract from an MP4 file.

Forgive me for jumping ahead and cutting to the chase. I tried mp4box and video updater tools. Not much success, and too many programs for the new user. The best way, I found, to extract mp4 subtitles was to drop the mp4 into mkvmerge and remux as an MKV; then use mkvextract gui , same drag and drop, to extract the sub track into the same folder. After dropping the new MKV into mkvextract gui, just check the box (square to the left) next to ONLY the language subtitles you need to edit, not selecting font and chapter tags. You can, at this time, save other stuff by checking other boxes, but that's advanced, so extract only what you need. Click extract, being sure to save to the same folder. It's a good idea to rename the file(s) so you don't get confused with other attempts, lol. We just want the subtitle we want. From there, use Subtitle Edit to...um...edit, saving it as whatever you like using the drop down menu to preserve, for example, ASS etc. Renaming helps in case you messed up. Then open mkvmerge again and drop the newly created MKV (the one we made in step one) into mkvmerge...AND then the newly extracted/edited subs into the main box. At this point, I usually check the boxes (square to the left) of the video, audio and the subtitle I just dropped in, leaving all the other crap unchecked, and rename before remux. Then mux to the same folder and you have an MKV soft-subbed with your new subtitle and can turn the new subtitle on and off using "W" key in MPC and "V" key in VLC. Voila! From there you can pretty much do what you want since you read this tutorial carefully, haha, and have everything in separate files. Good luck!
    I suggest you run the file through mkvmerge. When the file is loaded you should see 3 streams - video, audio and sub-titles. Once the process is complete you should be able to extract the srt file using mkvextractgui.
    I have tried that without success. I could generate an MKV file, but WITHOUT the subtitle on it. Just audio + video tracks. Such tracks played OK into MKV generated file.

When I have tried to use YAMB I could see all the tracks: audio + video + subtitle. But when I have tried to separate them I got an error message. Just audio + video could be processed correctly.

Can you point some other way to deal with such issues?

In past I could extract subtitles from an MKV files, using Subtitle Edit, without issues.

But MP4 files are harder to deal.

Can I extract subtitles from an MP4 files using ffmpeg? If is that possible, how do it properly?

Do we have some GUI for ffmpeg to make easier the subtitle extraction from a MP4 files?

Thanks for the tips.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello, dear all.

Good news: I could do it using My MP4Box GUI , as Baldrick told in previous thread.

Strange that YAMB can't do it properly.

Despite of that, can you know how do such extraction using ffmpeg too?

I could find that Video Updater Tools can do the job too. And this tool use ffmpeg on it's engine to process the files.

---> https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-Updater-Tools

It's important having many ways to solve the issues, not depending from only one single tool to achieve the job done.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 26th Feb 2017 at 19:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also successfully used SubTitleEdit to simply rip the subtitles from practically ANY video file, even those very difficult ones, and save it directly to a subrip srt file. IMHO it also has the best OCR capability to handle "sub" + "idx" files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @ pmsha

Hi. How can you use Subtitle Edit to open / extract MP4 files?

I have found options to import / extract subs from MKV content, among other types of files.

But not from MP4 files. Maybe I have missed something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Importing Subs.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	40762

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You just need to drag and drop it onto the list view/source view window.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its very simple. Start SubTitleEdit. Click on File, click on Open and point to the MP4 file from which you want to extract the subtitles. It will tahe a few seconds, depending on the size of the MP4 file and present you with what it managed to find. Works well for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ pmshah and ndjamena

Hi. Thanks for the tips.

Let me know if I understood correctly: I must to drag and drop the video ( MP4 file in my case ) in that part of the Subtitle Edit program?

After that, the program will detect and process the extraction into srt or other file extensions?

Name:	Processing Subs.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	40763

Again, thanks for your help.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you got it right. Or simply open the file in normal way as I suggested. You could also right click on the file name and select "open with". I use Right Click Extender in Win 10 whch easily allows me to do this. It is a pain otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ pmshah

Strange. I think I'm doing something wrong.

When I drag & drop the video file ( MP4 file ) onto the list view/source view window the program try to process the file and crashes.

The message appears below:

Name:	Test.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	40764

Name:	Test 2.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	40765

And if I try to open using the open the file in normal way, crashes after some times too.

Name:	Test 3.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	40766

I can open only subtitles text directly this way. If I try to open videos themselves, the program crashes.

The only way it works if when I click on the importing options.

Name:  test 4.jpg
Views: 4139
Size:  28.5 KB

In such importing options I can't see none about MP4 files.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

Name:	subtitleedit.png
Views:	567
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	40768

Are you 100% sure what you're giving it is an MP4?

The file I gave it was over 3gb and I didn't get a message complaining that it was over 10mb...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very likely your file is corrupted. You could try TsMuxer and select Demux option for subtitles. I have come across some M2Ts files that needed this software.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi, dear all.

@ ndjamena

Yes, it is a MP4 file in my case.

In you example, does is not a MKV file instead of a MP4 file? Subtitle Edit has an option to import MKV content. I do not see any option concerning importing MP4 files in Subtitle Edit program.

Name:	attachment.png
Views:	490
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	40775

@ pmshah

Very likely your file is corrupted. You could try TsMuxer and select Demux option for subtitles. I have come across some M2Ts files that needed this software.

When I tried to demux using TsMuxer I get an error too. When I tried do demux only subtitle track the program get error.

Until now, only My MP4Box GUI and Video Updater Tools could do the job and extract the subtitle properly.

Yes, I could solve the problem, but I'm just curious if I could do the job using Subtitle Edit or even other programs.

PS: do you know how to do it using only ffmpeg program? Or which sintax to write to do it using ffmpeg?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That looks to be a typo in SubtitleEdit, you'll notice all the tracks say "apple" whatever, there's nothing apple in an mkv.

There's something wrong with your file, or at least there's something wrong with SubtitleEdits ability to detect it.

If MP4Box can extract the track then do that, SubtitleEdit uses MP4Box internally so if MP4Box can read the file but SubtitleEdit can't then that means for some reason SubtitleEdit isn't detecting the file as MP4 and isn't even trying.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi! i am new here, and i am quite desoriented. I have downloaded a movie from dailymotion, it has embeded subtitles in iranian language, and i what to extract the subtitles and translate it in english. can you help me? the file is mp4. i tried in subtitle edit, but is to big, i have tried to install mp4box, but the programs name is osmo4....help plsssss
    Quote Quote  
  17. @ Lale

Hi. Try to use: Video Updater Tools

Just download and unpack in your PC. Drag and drop the file on the program ( SubtitleExtractor GUI / inside the program ).

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    @ Lale

Hi. Try to use: Video Updater Tools

Just download and unpack in your PC. Drag and drop the file on the program ( SubtitleExtractor GUI / inside the program ).

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Thank you for your help, but i did what you said, and i drag and drop the file, it processese it,, for 2 seconds appears a text file right next to the video file, but after that it dessapiers...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I also opened the mp4 file with Subtitle edit, and it say that "No subtitle was found"......What can i do?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I now red about hardcore subtitles, it may be this problem on my video?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hello, dear all.

I'm having a problem to extract from an MP4 file.

Forgive me for jumping ahead and cutting to the chase. I tried mp4box and video updater tools. Not much success, and too many programs for the new user. The best way, I found, to extract mp4 subtitles was to drop the mp4 into mkvmerge and remux as an MKV; then use mkvextract gui , same drag and drop, to extract the sub track into the same folder. After dropping the new MKV into mkvextract gui, just check the box (square to the left) next to ONLY the language subtitles you need to edit, not selecting font and chapter tags. You can, at this time, save other stuff by checking other boxes, but that's advanced, so extract only what you need. Click extract, being sure to save to the same folder. It's a good idea to rename the file(s) so you don't get confused with other attempts, lol. We just want the subtitle we want. From there, use Subtitle Edit to...um...edit, saving it as whatever you like using the drop down menu to preserve, for example, ASS etc. Renaming helps in case you messed up. Then open mkvmerge again and drop the newly created MKV (the one we made in step one) into mkvmerge...AND then the newly extracted/edited subs into the main box. At this point, I usually check the boxes (square to the left) of the video, audio and the subtitle I just dropped in, leaving all the other crap unchecked, and rename before remux. Then mux to the same folder and you have an MKV soft-subbed with your new subtitle and can turn the new subtitle on and off using "W" key in MPC and "V" key in VLC. Voila! From there you can pretty much do what you want since you read this tutorial carefully, haha, and have everything in separate files. Good luck!
    I suggest you run the file through mkvmerge. When the file is loaded you should see 3 streams - video, audio and sub-titles. Once the process is complete you should be able to extract the srt file using mkvextractgui.
    I have tried that without success. I could generate an MKV file, but WITHOUT the subtitle on it. Just audio + video tracks. Such tracks played OK into MKV generated file.

When I have tried to use YAMB I could see all the tracks: audio + video + subtitle. But when I have tried to separate them I got an error message. Just audio + video could be processed correctly.

Can you point some other way to deal with such issues?

In past I could extract subtitles from an MKV files, using Subtitle Edit, without issues.

But MP4 files are harder to deal.

Can I extract subtitles from an MP4 files using ffmpeg? If is that possible, how do it properly?

Do we have some GUI for ffmpeg to make easier the subtitle extraction from a MP4 files?

Thanks for the tips.

Best regards.

Aw. I have found some mp4's impenetrable to extraction. It depends on the original encoding. Mp4 allows hard-subbing wherein the subtitle is 'burned' in or on some crazy layer/track. Oddly enough, I have seen Mp4 videos with 'soft' subs that I could toggle on and off, but not extract. I think Apple and the Mac guys are responsible for that little encoding trick. In fact, I'm sure. Get a Mac and try their tools. They invented many Mp stuff. I won't cave in and usually find a different source video, but hey, I'm a windows guy. Perhaps this is what you are encountering. I'm a die-hard Anime fan and work with subs a lot. It's up to the encoder and the tools they use to 'burn' the video. Sorry, that's all I got.
    Last edited by milo77; 19th Aug 2017 at 05:36. Reason: Because I can
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is one more possibility...

Try opening the file in SubTitle Edit. I have had success in dealing with some of the difficult files. TxMuxer is another one.
    Quote Quote  
  23. As of today, My MP4Box GUI 0.6.0.6 still works on my 32bits Win07 SP1 system. Perhaps I got lucky. It was a Netflix file. It extracted the subtitle beautifully
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hunnypuppy View Post
    I use a newer a nifty little free GPL software called Video Updater Tools can extract ....
    Excuse YOU, but a 200 MEGABYTE program is NOT LITTLE by any stretch of anyones realization. Nor imagination. If anything, it points to sloppy, script kiddie programming
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  25. In my experience, ffmpeg is the best. I had the M4V file with four subtitle tracks (tx3g).

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "my_file.m4v" -map 0:s:0 my_sub_ru1.srt
    ffmpeg -i "my_file.m4v" -map 0:s:1 my_sub_ru2.srt
    ffmpeg -i "my_file.m4v" -map 0:s:2 my_sub_en1.srt
    ffmpeg -i "my_file.m4v" -map 0:s:3 my_sub_en2.srt
    PS Found this tip on Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17388253/extracting-subtitles-from-mp4
    Quote Quote