VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Auto GK - I found Baldrick's tutorial to be superficial - written for users who already know - or maybe my AutoGK is different. (1) By trial and error I found that "forced" had to be invoked before I could add the .srt file. Even then it did not appear in the lower box - (should it?). (2) I could not change the output file name - even though I had a cursor. (3) On starting the job there was no apparent reaction. I had to wait for several minutes before any report showed up. Previously I had assumed it wasn't working. Please Baldrick go over your tutorial and fill it out a little for the weak-minded like myself. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by speedhump View Post
    Using Auto GK - I found Baldrick's tutorial to be superficial - written for users who already know -
    Did you know about the CTRL-F8 trick to add external subs before being told that in the guide? If so, you're right that you don't need it.
    (1) By trial and error I found that "forced" had to be invoked before I could add the .srt file.
    Not true here. They should (and do, for me) show up immediately. That 'Forced' box in the Advanced Settings is for something completely different.
    Even then it did not appear in the lower box - (should it?).
    No, it shouldn't. That 'Subtitle Track' box is for subs already existing in a source DVD.
    (2) I could not change the output file name
    No problem here changing it to whatever I want, and to output wherever I like.
    (3) On starting the job there was no apparent reaction.
    For me the log window opens within a few seconds and stuff begins to get written in there. DGIndex opened and closed almost immediately (because the source was an AVI and not a DVD).
    Please Baldrick go over your tutorial
    There's nothing wrong with the tutorial, although it does seem like there may be something wrong with your AutoGK installation. The usual recommendation when there are problems with it is to uninstall it and then reinstall it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello,
    Before I download this Auto GK I wanted to make sure that I can use this program for what I want. But I'm not really sure about it, so I want to ask.
    I know that this program can merge .avi and .srt files together. I have the program Avidemux which could also do that but the quality drops and it could only support Xvid not H.264. I have two main questions:

1) If I input an .avi file that is H.264, will it work? Because for Avidemux it doesn't support it, but it will change something about the file but then after finish encoding it, the audio doesn't work.
    Some other details about the .avi (if it helps?)
    Video:
    Frame Width: 1280
    Frame Height: 720
    Data rate: 3039kbps
    Total bitrate: 3423kbps
    Frame Rate: 29 frames/second
    Audio:
    Bit rate: 384kbps
    Channels: 2 (stereo)
    Audio sample rate: 48kHz

2) If H.264 doesn't work, I also have Xvid .avi which I assume do work? But I just wonder if the quality of the video will drop? If it does, is there anyway to prevent that?

I really want high quality video, I don't mind inputting in the subtitles myself without merging the .srt file with .avi. Is there a program for that?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by emchun View Post
    1) If I input an .avi file that is H.264, will it work?
    No, the AVIs must be XviD or DivX (mostly). But not H./x264.
    2) If H.264 doesn't work, I also have Xvid .avi which I assume do work? But I just wonder if the quality of the video will drop?
    Yes it it'll drop. Encoding to a lossy format always causes a loss of quality. It may not be noticeable if you keep the same resolution and keep a reasonably high bitrate. Ideally, reencode using a slightly higher final size as compared to the original. Or do a 1-pass quality rencode for the default 75%.
    Last edited by manono; 28th Apr 2013 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by emchun View Post
    1) If I input an .avi file that is H.264, will it work?
    No, the AVIs must be XviD or DivX (mostly). But not H./x264.
    2) If H.264 doesn't work, I also have Xvid .avi which I assume do work? But I just wonder if the quality of the video will drop?
    Yes it it'll drop. Encoding to a lossy format always causes a loss of quality. It may not be noticeable if you keep the same resolution and keep a reasonably high bitrate. Ideally, reencode using a slightly higher final size as compared to the original. Or do a 1-pass quality rencode for the default 75%.
    Thank you for replying.
    So do I follow what is shown on the first page of this topic? And what is a 1-pass quality re encode?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by emchun View Post
    So do I follow what is shown on the first page of this topic?
    Yes, if you have an XviD AVI to which you want to add subs.
    And what is a 1-pass quality re encode?
    On that first page is a picture of the main screen with the 'Custom size (MB)' ticked. Instead, tick 'Target quality (in percentage)' and the default is 75%. It runs a single pass for the chosen quality. If final size isn't important, you might use that one. It's faster too, since you're running only one video encoding pass rather then two.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi I have a iMac and on that I have bought VM Ware fusion on which I run windows 7 so I can have both OS X and win 7 on the same machine.
    '
    Now to my question how do I get to load the srt file when I have installed AutoGK and run it from my virtual image with windows 7 ??
    Since I have a iMac keyboard...ctrl+F8 simply dont seem to work...
    Can i load the srt file any other way??
    best regards micael
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try use the on-screen keyboard in windows 7, click the fn-button and then ctrl and f8.
    Quote Quote  
  9. hi thanks for the tip with onscreen keyboard..unfortunately it doesnt seem to include the function buttons..so i can use ctrl...but theres no F8 and if i try use the onscreen ctrl button and the imac keyboard F8 button it instead always open iTunes...so no lluck on that im afraid but thanks it was a good try
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must click the fn button first and then will f8 appear.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi again sorry I didnt fully read your instruction I guess since I missed out on the FN button going before CTRL..
    Actually this worked great...so now I can load the srt file...many many thanks and sorry for missing out a bit...
    best regards micael
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Job finished.
    It's great working. Thanks Baldrick for all your tutorials.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the Guide, I have little problem,

I am trying to add Arabic subtitle to the movie, when I am playing the movie the subtitle does not look like Arabic, I had same problem with other things and the Solution was that I change the Encoding to UTF-8, any I dea how I do that ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. It might be as simple as opening the subs in Notepad, going File->Save As, and in the bottom center changing it to UTF-8 from the default ANSI before saving.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for reply
    I did try that but didn't work still Arabic language does not appear
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Smoke n Fly View Post
    I did try that but didn't work still Arabic language does not appear
    Okay, have you played these subs with a video already? And they work? That is, are you sure these are good subs? Did you make them yourself? Download them from somewhere? If from a DVD, can you get the VobSubs (IDX/SUB) instead for use with AutoGK? In what format are they now? SRT?

Edit: I found this:

Since Arabic srt subtitle is not supported, you can work around by using idx/sub subtitle. I do not speak/write Arabic, so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Here is the way you might do:
    1. Convert your srt into Windows code page 1256 (CP-1256). I believe you can search and find out programs in your language which do that job. It may turn out with weird characters but don't worry.
    2.Load that subtitle into txt2vobsub (a free program), set Font Charset=ARABIC, Color Option= PC only, Output language=ar ARABIC, all the rest you make your choice, then Generate Vobsub. It takes about 2-3 minutes to create 2 files: idx and sub with the same name.
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2154-Arabic-(non-unicode)-SRT-subti...=8759#post8759
    Last edited by manono; 22nd May 2014 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I did it, Thanks

Now the next problem is, the Movie size getting two times bigger, for ex. 1GB movie before adding subtitle growing to 3GB and that is too big to upload, any Idea how I can make the size smaller without losing lot of quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Smoke n Fly View Post
    I did it, Thanks

Now the next problem is, the Movie size getting two times bigger, for ex. 1GB movie before adding subtitle growing to 3GB and that is too big to upload, any Idea how I can make the size smaller without losing lot of quality ?
    Using AutoGK? Maybe you're doing a 1-pass quality-based encode? If so switch to 2-pass and give it the size you want. If the audio is already something you want (MP3 or whatever) make sure it isn't reencoded as WAV audio. Make sure the final resolution is the same as the original resolution. Maybe post the text file from before and after videos opened in MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    a video file and convert it to AVI DivX or XviD. AutoGK supports AVI, MPG, DVD, TS input video files and srt, ssa, sub, vobsub idx/sub subtitle formats.
    I don't see .mp4 in the list
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Autogk is a very OLD software. Use something else for mp4 sources and with subtitle burnin support like freemake video converter (adware) or vidcoder (can only output mp4 and mkv).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Autogk is a very OLD software. Use something else for mp4 sources and with subtitle burnin support like freemake video converter (adware) or vidcoder (can only output mp4 and mkv).
    Thanks for the tips ! I actually got VidCoder, but it takes one full day to finish a single 1:40 movie ! Any alternative ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A full day? Maybe time to get a faster computer...

Freemake is probably faster but you must be very careful when installing it to avoid all adware addons.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A full day? Maybe time to get a faster computer...

Freemake is probably faster but you must be very careful when installing it to avoid all adware addons.
    My computer isn't that bad ! It's just normal
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hey there, I know this is an old thread but I'm desperate. I'm having some trouble with the subtitles when hardcoding a movie with AutoGK. I added Spanish subs to a French movie but every word with a diacritic/tilde (á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ) shows up as à and some other character (¡, the exponent of five, ©, -, °, ±, etc.). Is there any fix for this?

Edit: hasn't been fixed, but it's not a problem anymore.
    Last edited by FrostWarden; 20th Jun 2018 at 19:02.
    Quote Quote