VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    After multiplexing several MKV files together, i always have this problem were the first half a second of audio is mute before the audio kicks in. Is there anyway to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Without knowing what is causing the issue: probably not
    Things to think about: (I guess you are appending multiple files)
    Do the audio formats match?
    Do your streams have delays?

-> you first need to figure out what is causing the issue (for example make sure it's not just a playback issue of one player/library)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Without knowing what is causing the issue: probably not
    Things to think about: (I guess you are appending multiple files)
    Do the audio formats match?
    Do your streams have delays?

-> you first need to figure out what is causing the issue (for example make sure it's not just a playback issue of one player/library)
    Why didn't i think of that! It seems it's only a problem native to VLC Player which i primarily use, but works fine in all the other players. I should've figured it out

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Want to add that while it is true only vlc seems to have this annoying problem and audio at least seems in sync after it starts, MKVToolnix (45.0.0 while writing this) definetily plays a role in this; Created an mkv with handbrake; lossy audio codec (vorbis): plays fine in VLC (1)
    Used MKVtoolnix to change the audio track's language (no re-encodind): audio gap in VLC (2)
    Used MKVtoolnix to replace the audio track with uncompressed PCM version of audio track: VLC plays fine again (3)

Tried comparing the resulting files:
    (2) is about 1MiB smaller than (1).
    Handbrake uses Lafv lib for writing mkv; MKVtoolnix uses libeml + libmatroska additionally.
    The audio track in (2) is for some reason almost 10MiB smaller than in (1), Also audio track (1) has a duration property while the audio track in (2) has a frame rate property instead which is almost 7fps off, too,

So to me it looks like although the audio timing system in VLC is IMHO suboptimal for a locally running media player to say the least, MKVToolnix seems to do unexpected/unecesary magic in it's muxer and it seems to do it wrong, too. I think about filing a bug report for MKVToolnix.

Sorry for digging this up. Found this through google after experiencing the same effect.
    Last edited by Kastenkopf; 5th May 2021 at 05:57.
    Quote Quote