VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Here's the problem, the video I record with my camcorder is saved in MOV. I record the audio with an external mic from my laptop and soundcard.

Loading the MOV and WAV into any movie editor gradually the video goes out of sync. Noticeably after 8 minutes. The video recording is actually slower than realtime.

I've tried the stretch tool in Movie Edit Pro 14, but it still renders out of sync. I've even used Blender 3d's Sequencer to surgically adjust the video sync, but Blender renders the video very choppy. I guess next I'll try Vegas 8 and see what I can do.

What do I have to do to synchronize the video to the audio and render properly?

Thanks in advance,
    adabo
    Quote Quote  
  2. shoot the source video in whatever framerate your final video is going to be in. the only way it's going out of sync is if there is some framerate conversion going on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mini2dvd. I appreciate your reply.

I'm actually using the source file (MOV) for editing, and I haven't done any coversion (format, or framerate). Perhaps it's just a problem with 2 different components?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

Since I have the same type of problem, I'll piggy-back on the thread instead of creating a new one.

As an alternative to a wireless solution to record audio in conferences… I was thinking of recording the video with a consumer camcorder, leave an audio recorder next to the speaker or loudspeaker, replace the audio stream in the video file, and somehow sync both streams.

Using consumer gear, can this be done? Are there good softwares that do the job of syncing steams?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it can be done. I don't recall what my solution was (being that this thread is nearly 10 years old), but there are plenty of free software available that will allow you to replace the audio portion of a video with any other audio you wish. Off the top of my head I would try AVIDemux. Blender 3D has a great video sequencer, albeit the learning curve is not easy.

As regard to the framerate issue, it is important to know the exact frames per second the video was recorded at. This would allow you to use that information in the software of your choice to set the project to that speed and then import your custom audio file to replace the video's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Ideally, I was looking for an application that would make it a no-brainer to sync the two streams, as this is for someone who has very little video experience.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With very little video experience, I don't really have a software recommendation. What I would do is use the software that I'm comfortable with and figure out a step by step process of how to do the syncing. Once I have the steps I'd give them to the person and show them first hand how to do it, and then hopefully the written steps would be enough for the future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. I'll google for more and see if there's such a thing.
    Quote Quote