VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI's short-lived reign over the TV cable racks could soon be over, thanks to a new usurper that combines several connections into a single, standard network cable.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/7/1/tv-business-kisses-hdmi-goodbye/

wow, that was quick, i know lots of people that don't have a single hdmi capable component yet.

--
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How can they do all of it over cat5? I don't understand the video and audio together over cat5. I know you can stream from a pc to a console or other receiver via cat 5 and do video but that is streaming technology.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hype.
    Won't happen, too late, HDMI is here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It could very well be technically viable, however, the way I see it, there's no point for now...

If the spec doesn't include something akin to HDCP, content providers won't allow manufacturers to use/play their media, and without content, the devices won't be built and the idea will fail.
    If the spec DOES include ~HDCP, the same difficulties with interchange timing, false lockouts, have-and-havenot manufacturers, and other DRM-related constraints will limit consumer appeal, and you'll be right back where we already are with HDMI...

Why support YET ANOTHER standard right now? Let's wait a while so that consumers can at least get some use out of their investments (purchases).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. While I do prefer RJ-45 connectors over HDMI because it has a locking tab, HDMI is the defacto standard now.
    I can see a manufacturer preferring Cat.6/RJ-45 because they don't have to pay licensing fees to HDMI.org.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Hype.
    Won't happen, too late, HDMI is here.
    I agree. I think this is one of those "wow, look what we can do" things that won't catch on. At least not for a long while.

Although I can imagine large electronics stores having a whole section devoted to "Home Entertainment" CAT 5 cables, costing 5 times more than the "Computer Networking" CAT 5 cables. And the staff telling customers that they need the home entertainment cables because the computer networking cables won't deliver the same quality signal
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI was just an extension of DVI-D but satisfied the needs of the consumer electronics industry with Intel's HDCP. Intel has moved on to the display port. DVI-D, HDMI and display port transfer uncompressed video. Something like "HDBaseT" would only work with compressed video. That would require hardware decoders in the TV*. It would immediately obsolete all current equipment.

Hmm, the industry already tried that for "HD-Ready" and non-HDCP DVI-D. This would do the same to DVI-D/HDMI.

* This was the main reason IEEE-1394 was rejected at the last minute by the consumer electronics industry in favor of encrypted uncompressed HDCP. Intel's royalties were lower.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    we use video over cat5 at work, its a great way of running vga for long runs too. it wont ever replace hdmi but cat 5 can be very useful for sending stuff over distance down a single cable and my job would be a pain in the butt with out it!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anonymous344
    HDMI connections are not very secure, and I have never liked them. I would use component cables if Blu-rays were not restricted to 1080i over HDMI. I have had to use locking devices before to ensure a good connection. If this cable provides a secure connection, I hope it does replace HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  10. wrong thread/forum to socialize
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its like dvd's blu-ray has been out for ages now but still alot of people use dvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep a look-out for gold-plated ethernet cables costing £200 in rip-off electronics shops in the near future.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 16mmJunkie View Post
    Keep a look-out for gold-plated ethernet cables costing £200 in rip-off electronics shops in the near future.
    haha yeah
    Quote Quote  
  14. Dont laugh at his "joke", he ripped that straight off the end of the article! Also this is from 2010 and HDbaseT is nowhere to be seen.
    I still haven't moved over to HDMI yet.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I farted
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote