VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello i have a 8mm film scanner - winait - and i have been capturing some footage from cine reels and happy with the quality but when i play the files back the motion seems faster than it should be :/ .... i have encoded them to 25fps from 30fps with not much joy in the playback speed .... can anyone help please
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    8 mm film is 18 fps silent, 24 fps with sound. So encoding the scan to 30 fps will show speed-up. (If you ever watched the silent newsreels you often experienced that effect).

I think the solution is to take the original scan - assume @18 fps - and duplicate every 6th frame. So you now have 24 fps. If you still require NTSC 30 fps you then apply pulldown to that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Super 8 mm is usually 18 fps but Standard 8 mm is most often 16 fps. Cameras have lower rates and sometimes people used them to save film. I scanned a lot of Standard 8 that was 12 fps.

If you are watching these scans on a modern digital device there is probably no reason to mess with pulldown and duplication. Just encode it to the correct frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    8 mm film is 18 fps silent, 24 fps with sound. So encoding the scan to 30 fps will show speed-up. (If you ever watched the silent newsreels you often experienced that effect).

I think the solution is to take the original scan - assume @18 fps - and duplicate every 6th frame. So you now have 24 fps. If you still require NTSC 30 fps you then apply pulldown to that.

what would be the best application for this please and is there any tutorials that you know of please
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    What kind of files come out of your Winait? Do you have access to the individual frames as a sequence of image files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. it sends all captured images to one mp4 video file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

what would be the best application for this please and is there any tutorials that you know of please
    While avisynth may be the best for this, it is not something I have any real experience with.

Something more basic is avidemux which has a ResampleFPS filter which I suggest you try first.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

While avisynth may be the best for this, it is not something I have any real experience with.

Something more basic is avidemux which has a ResampleFPS filter which I suggest you try first.
    Great and thank you, i will have a look today
    Quote Quote  
  9. tested and no joy motion still seems faster than it should be :/
    Quote Quote  
  10. all sorted , i changed the motion to 0.7 in sony vegas and re-encoded and all runs perfect now
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    FFmpeg is a wonderful tool for those who overcome fear of the command line.

Code:
    ffmpeg -r 18 -i myinput.mp4 -c copy myoutput.mp4
    The number after the -r option is the desired new framerate in frames-per-second. This technique avoids re-encoding and preserves quality.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    FFmpeg is a wonderful tool for those who overcome fear of the command line.

Code:
    ffmpeg -r 18 -i myinput.mp4 -c copy myoutput.mp4
    The number after the -r option is the desired new framerate in frames-per-second. This technique avoids re-encoding and preserves quality.
    thank you i will also look into this today
    Quote Quote