VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Windows 10 v1903 on a dual-graphics laptop. I have AMD Radeon R4 Graphics as the integrated card and AMD Radeon 530 as the dedicated card. Both of them show up in my Device Manager.

First, here's some background: I have this game (Honkai Impact 3) that uses the video platform that's built into Windows 10 to play the cutscenes and videos on it. When I run that game with my integrated graphics card, the videos play normally as they should. But when I run it with my dedicated graphics card, the videos are just blank. There is audio and subtitles however. The reason I need it running with the dedicated GPU is because it has higher framerates compared to playing it with the integrated GPU.

Okay, so I looked inside the game's files and noticed that the video files are using the avc1/H.264 codec. Normally, WMP can't run that codec, but I already had ffdshow installed so it should work, right? Well, just like in the game, WMP could only play them with the integrated GPU. When I played them with my dedicated GPU, it gave me this error:

Encountered a problem? Why? The integrated card had no problem playing the video. Why isn't it working with the dedicated card? It's like the codec doesn't work on the dedicated card or something.

I also tested it with LAV filters and got the same result with the dedicated GPU. This time though, there was something I noticed in the Video Settings for LAV, it would only let me choose the integrated graphics card.

DirectX Diagnostic Tool also shows only the integrated card

And Windows' Graphics Settings only shows the integrated card as well

Something's definitely up with DirectX not working with my dedicated graphics card. I ran DXVA Checker and as expected, only the integrated card was there.

I've already tried completely uninstalling the drivers with DDU and then downloading the latest ones. Didn't work. I'm honestly out of options. Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by jericjan; 9th Jun 2020 at 05:54. Reason: more details
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but did you install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of ffdshow? 32 bit players can't access 64 bit ffdshow codecs, and vice versa. Also, most media players use DirectShow codecs, not VFW codecs. But some might use VFW. Be sure to enable the h.264 decoders in both DirectShow and VFW, in both 32 bit and 64 bit ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying. But the problem is that the codecs DO work. It's just that for some reason, they don't work on the dedicated card. And yeah, I've tried that and also using 32-bit and 64-bit version of WMP. So it definitely has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you click on the discrete 530 card in device manager, does it report any problems ?

Does GPU-z "see" the discrete card ?

Did you try disabling the integrated GPU in device manager, to "force" using the discrete GPU ? *Be careful if you decide to try this, make sure you *know* that the discrete card actually works for a primary display
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jericjan View Post
    I am using Windows 10 v1903 on a dual-graphics laptop. I have AMD Radeon R4 Graphics as the integrated card and AMD Radeon 530 as the dedicated card. Both of them show up in my Device Manager.

First, here's some background: I have this game (Honkai Impact 3) that uses the video platform that's built into Windows 10 to play the cutscenes and videos on it. When I run that game with my integrated graphics card, the videos play normally as they should. But when I run it with my dedicated graphics card, the videos are just blank. There is audio and subtitles however. The reason I need it running with the dedicated GPU is because it has higher framerates compared to playing it with the integrated GPU.

Okay, so I looked inside the game's files and noticed that the video files are using the avc1/H.264 codec. Normally, WMP can't run that codec, but I already had ffdshow installed so it should work, right? Well, just like in the game, WMP could only play them with the integrated GPU. When I played them with my dedicated GPU, it gave me this error:

Encountered a problem? Why? The integrated card had no problem playing the video. Why isn't it working with the dedicated card? It's like the codec doesn't work on the dedicated card or something.

I also tested it with LAV filters and got the same result with the dedicated GPU. This time though, there was something I noticed in the Video Settings for LAV, it would only let me choose the integrated graphics card.

DirectX Diagnostic Tool also shows only the integrated card

And Windows' Graphics Settings only shows the integrated card as well

Something's definitely up with DirectX not working with my dedicated graphics card. I ran DXVA Checker and as expected, only the integrated card was there.

I've already tried completely uninstalling the drivers with DDU and then downloading the latest ones. Didn't work. I'm honestly out of options. Any help is appreciated!
    go into your device manager and disable the integrated graphics card so only the dedicated graphics card
    is used, then try playing the video.
    it seems that AMD is having Blank screen issues with other Radeon cards as well - https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/306175-amd-is-investigating-black-screen-driver-is...n-radeon-cards
    Last edited by october262; 9th Jun 2020 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you click on the discrete 530 card in device manager, does it report any problems ?
    Device Manager isn't reporting any problems at all

yes, GPU-Z can detect my discrete card. I also downgraded to an older driver to test if it would fix it, but it still didn't.

Did you try disabling the integrated GPU in device manager, to "force" using the discrete GPU ? *Be careful if you decide to try this, make sure you *know* that the discrete card actually works for a primary display
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    go into your device manager and disable the integrated graphics card so only the dedicated graphics card
    it seems that AMD is having Blank screen issues with other Radeon cards as well - https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/306175-amd-is-investigating-black-screen-driver-is...n-radeon-cards
    I don't think it's a good idea to disable it. I don't know if my dedicated graphics would work on its own on my display and I don't have an external monitor to test it.
    I also found a post by someone with a 320-15AST laptop (my laptop is a 320-14AST) on the Lenovo forums talking about their 530 card suddenly not working with DXVA. Nobody has given a solution sadly.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebook...4487453?page=1
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jericjan View Post
    If you click on the discrete 530 card in device manager, does it report any problems ?
    Device Manager isn't reporting any problems at all

yes, GPU-Z can detect my discrete card. I also downgraded to an older driver to test if it would fix it, but it still didn't.

I don't think it's a good idea to disable it. I don't know if my dedicated graphics would work on its own on my display and I don't have an external monitor to test it.
    I also found a post by someone with a 320-15AST laptop (my laptop is a 320-14AST) on the Lenovo forums talking about their 530 card suddenly not working with DXVA. Nobody has given a solution sadly.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebook...4487453?page=1
    if you can get into the AMD Radeon settings, for the AMD Radeon 530, try changing it to the power save settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFFJwOeGt4k
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you can get into the AMD Radeon settings, for the AMD Radeon 530, try changing it to the power save settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFFJwOeGt4k
    That's what I've been doing to make it run on the 530 card. Running it on Power Saving uses my integrated card, which play normally, Running it on High Performance uses my dedicated card, which, as I've said before, just doesn't play.
    Quote Quote