FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Originally Posted by edDV
    V-chip is just a tool that gives parents the option to block if they want.
    And we all have to pay for it.
    The V-Chip is only present because enough people wanted a way to prevent their children from watching programming they don't approve of when they are not watching TV with them.
    The v-chip was mandated by the government.
    Yep!!!!

Big brother trying to control and tell us what we should be doing and how we should be raising our kids and running our families!!!

Can anyone say "tipper gore"

Funny how the OP brought this thread back up after a year 8)

Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    Posted: Dec 01, 2007 09:53
    What a loon......next thing you know, Hilary should be President, Bush should be, thrown out of office, and video games should no longe be sold, because if a kid plays gamses with guns, you know when he's older he's going to kill someone. . .
    We have a bonafied profit in our midst!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the v-chip was mandated by the government.
    A significant number of parents objected to (and still object to) some of the programming being shown on TV at the hours their children were awake to see it. The V-Chip was mandated to meet their demands. It was a way to make this constituancy happy without imposing the same level of censorship on everyone, not just children who have parents that don't want them watching certain types of content. It was a great compromise. I'm happy to pay for it, even though up until very recently I never had a reason to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just stumbled across this old post and had to say something when I read the Clinton comment.

To put it to rest, i was just annoyed that my television at the time was constantly asking me to set up the parental controls (and no, it couldn't be turned down or off) for everything. Yet if I blocked the offensive religious material (Y and G ratings!?!?) I'd block all the nifty nature documentaries on PBS/BBC as well. At the time I thought it better to remove a "chip". I've long since switched to tuner cards and a C-Band dish.
    Americans found US TV to be offensive!? hope all those people never leave the country or they'd just all die from what's on TV elsewhere. I receive East and North Asian TV from Japan and former USSR territories where topless and nudity (respectively) are common not just in film but on television and in COMMERCIALS. European KIDS shows with topless women teaching math, reading, and science in (their) early morning and mid afternoon programming.
    As for the mod, probably time to close out this thread...:
    to recap
    V-Chip was a chip at first and could be removed; and is now firmware and can't be removed
    was implemented to ease the [term] people who [term] [term] [term] in the sky
    does not block offensive religious content or the Fox Fantasy Channel blowhards
    Does block learning aids and acceptable erotic entertainment
    would require blocking of PBS/BBC to enforce a ban on fantasy nonsense.
    no longer relevant to me. No controls of any kind in my imported tuner/capture cards. FREEDOM
    Covered?
    Close please
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lostinlodos
    i was just annoyed that my television at the time was constantly asking me to set up the parental controls
    I've never seen a TV nag about enabling parental controls. I'd be pissed too!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    No, the v-chip was mandated by the government.
    I'm happy to pay for it
    Then pay for it yourself. Don't expect me to subsidize your purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I predict the day will come when it will be possible to block any type of content a parent wishes to make unavailable to their children, including the sort of content the OP finds most objectionable. This would be accomplished using filters, similar to what is done with email. It would work particularly well for US OTA since ATSC broadcast standard includes the ability to transmit program descriptions as well as the name of the show. This could be done now for those who watch TV using a computer, assuming the TV cards pass along the information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what a baked thread LOL!!!!

great reading for the outhouse.......RALMAO
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Damn, I took the cover off my old Magnavox hoping I could spot a physical "v-chip" to remove. See, the problem I'm having is that the v-chip is malfunctioning somehow, causing the volume of the tv to have serious static and making the volume really low. It's like the chip keeps popping on and off. I'm pretty sure this is what it is b/c whenever I go into the menu and turn the chip off, the volume goes back to normal. But it won't stay off or something. Any idea what to do about this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no physical V-Chip. It has nothing to do with parental locks. Look in the menus for a selection to reset firmware to factory default.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrotherDaveDG View Post
    Damn, I took the cover off my old Magnavox hoping I could spot a physical "v-chip" to remove. See, the problem I'm having is that the v-chip is malfunctioning somehow, causing the volume of the tv to have serious static and making the volume really low. It's like the chip keeps popping on and off. I'm pretty sure this is what it is b/c whenever I go into the menu and turn the chip off, the volume goes back to normal. But it won't stay off or something. Any idea what to do about this?

Thanks.
    It is not a good idea to be poking around inside old CRT TVs unless you have been trained to repair them, and there isn't going to be a discrete V-chip to remove or bypass unless the TV is very old.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Allowing the consumer to block things is a relatively new phenomena. I bought a nice 19inch TV for $5 at a thrift shop and a $15 digital converter from Craig's List, and I block all channels except PBS. No more ads, no more offensive programing. Problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Allowing the consumer to block things is a relatively new phenomena. I bought a nice 19inch TV for $5 at a thrift shop and a $15 digital converter from Craig's List, and I block all channels except PBS. No more ads, no more offensive programing. Problem solved.
    Talking about old school.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a wacko thread! I'm sure most TV's, PVR's set top boxes in Oz have a "parental control" item in the menu. But no one uses it and no one gives a s*** about censoring in the home. The thing that had me ROTFLOL was someone objecting to paying for this or that they didn't use - give me a break! as if dropping these features off would lower the cost more than a few cents and then there was the usual objection "It's the principle!" I am reminded of a quip by the very late Sir Compton McKenzie (I paraphrase)

"I don't believe in principles!
    Principles are merely the excuses we use to do those things we know we ought not to do or to do those things we know we shouldn't do...!"

Any way it's a good laugh
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote