VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been all over the map, mebbe I should have started here first...

I was looking forward to getting a machine up to date enough to edit the VR vid from my lg 360CAM, and cut ordinary rendering time way down...

After wistfully turning away from current i7 laptops as waaay too pricey (among other limitations), I found the ASUS M32BC desktop for $500, which has a 3.5 GHz AMD FX-6300 Six-Core CPU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 Graphics (1GB), and a 1 TB 7200rpm Hard Drive.
    It also has a SuperMulti DVD Burner, 8-in-1 Card Slot, a Gigabit Ethernet Port, 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 / HDMI / VGA / DVI, USB Wired Keyboard & Mouse Included, and well, Windows 10 Home.

This I thought was something I could work with- ample room inside for adding cards & drives, etc as I go.
    The 4 USB3 sockets & 4 USB2 sockets was the clincher (along with HDMI, wifi & Blue tooth already aborad).

And then I found this in the manual:

USB 3.0 ports.
    These Universal Serial Bus 3.0 (USB 3.0) ports connect to USB 3.0 devices such as a mouse, printer, scanner, camera, PDA, and others.
    • DO NOT connect a keyboard / mouse to any USB 3.0 port when installing Windows® operating system.
    • Due to USB 3.0 controller limitation, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under Windows® OS environment and after the USB 3.0 driver installation.
    • USB 3.0 devices can only be used as data storage only.

All my current machines are linux dual boot or linux only, so this business about USB 3 is a bit of a shocker.

Comments welcome, especially if you have any experience with this particular machine. Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by ahhaa; 15th Dec 2016 at 14:11. Reason: I remembered what I forgot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That pretty much applies to all motherboards/computers, not just that specific model.

The USB3 controllers will typically not work at all, or default to USB2 mode until the OS boots and the (USB3 controller) drivers are loaded. Hence, you want all your input devices (mouse + keyboard) connected to a USB2 port in case you need to enter the BIOS or take any other action before the OS is loaded. And there is no reason to waste a USB3 port for an input device anyway. The whole point of having USB3 ports is the increased bandwidth they provide, and only storage (or media playback) devices are going to take advantage of the bandwidth.

EDIT: as for editing in general, you want the fastest cpu that fits your budget, at least 8gb of RAM (more if you use software which can take advantage of it), and plenty of storage. Storage wise, I'd look at an SSD for the OS and software, a HDD to store your video files and a second HDD to use when editing (ie: read files from one HDD for processing and write the output to the 2nd HDD).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's funny and coincidence. I was trying to copy some image scans I just made (portable Clearclick scanner) on micro sd cards in a pocket card reader, and it would not work. I kepts jiggling the card in the card reader. Anyway. Then I inserted the card reader into another usb port and it worked.

They make those usb icons so small i use a magnifier to read them correctly. You have three types: "SS", "Lighten bolt strike-through", and a "regular" icon next to these ports.

I believe the lightning bolt one refers to a "powered" usb2.0 port, and SS is for super speed or usb3.0 port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1 what Krispy Kritter said. IIWY, I'd get 16+ GB of RAM. Particularly if you intend to shoot & edit >1080p VR.

Do the math & work backwards what your speed/bandwidth & capacity needs will be (giving yourself lots of leeway).

E.g. if you need playback of 2 uncompressed FHD 4:2:0 8bit 60p streams = 3Gbps or 375MB/sec! Using 10:1 compression (common for ProRes, DNxHD)=300Mbps or 37.5Mbps. (You could use stronger compression, but you start compromising the quality)
    Add overhead, and/or simultaneous live/realtime record/render and it grows...
    And you'll want EVERY link in the chain to fully support this on a sustained basis, at their WORST moment. That "worst moment" is usually what screws up external USB drives and is why all serious professionals utilize something else: internal or eSata, Thunderbolt, SCSI/eSCSI, even Firewire. And why RAID may still be important in that arena.

Scott
    Quote Quote