VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to know how to set my laptop to see the fonts and all of the items of my pc correctly not blury so if any of you guys knows how to do these please explain.

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jma
    Quote Quote  
  2. TV has much less real resolution, that's why the text don't look sharp at all. You can up your font size, but it only help a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah thanks that's what i did but is ther a way to only extend the font of the tv
    jma
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck on that. Most laptops output S-video at best and while fine for viewing video, falls short when viewing text. Even higher quality component output to TV doesn't allow anywhere near the resolution of a computer monitor. Composite output to a TV, especially a larger screen one like 27" or more will just give you a headache when trying to view small text.

Computer monitors and TVs operate with entirely different systems for the display. Some of the newer LCD TVs and similar have a digital input like HDMI or DVI which will give you better resolution, but few laptops have these outputs available.

Bottom line, TVs won't display text near as well as the average computer monitor. If you really have to display text on a TV, you will have to use very large fonts, like what you see used for subtitles.

EDIT: If you want to increase your system font size, go to 'Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Font Size'.
    And look in 'Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibility' There are tools there to enlarge the fonts for visually handicapped people that may help with making them more readable for TV display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About all you can do is reduce the desktop resolution and increase font size.

This picture shows about the best you can expect with a good TV at over S-Video. Most TV sets will look far worse. Desktop size is 800x600 which gets scaled down to 480 lines.

This was a capture off of S-Video (sharpened).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not bad
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Compaq laptop has a VGA output and my Sony LCD has a VGA input. It's a match made in heaven. Crystal clear and sharp. If I could find a way to get 5.1 out of my laptop and into a receiver I'd be the happiest man alive! But as far as I know, or I should say, as far as I've seen the VGA to VGA produces the best results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reactivellama
    My Compaq laptop has a VGA output and my Sony LCD has a VGA input. It's a match made in heaven. Crystal clear and sharp. If I could find a way to get 5.1 out of my laptop and into a receiver I'd be the happiest man alive! But as far as I know, or I should say, as far as I've seen the VGA to VGA produces the best results.
    VGA and DVI-D are traditional computer to computer monitor connections. Computer monitors usually accept the full range of VESA resolutions* (always square pixel progressive RGB) and refresh rates up to the maximum listed in the monitor's specifications. Cables have limited length and tend to be expensive over 20 feet.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA .

S-Video is normal NTSC or PAL with luminance and chrominance on separate wires. It makes a poor computer to monitor connection but is widely used for Video Game consoles.

HDTV connections are generally limited to a subset of TV refresh rates and TV resolutions. Both interlace are progressive scans are supported. Most HDTV sets will accept 720x480i, 720x480p, and 1920x1080i. 1280x720p is usually accepted by LCD sets and is the best match for typical LCD displays with panel resolutions from 800x600 to 1366x768.

Some HDTV sets accept a limited subset of computer VESA standard resolutions over a VGA or DVI/HDMI connection. VGA is often limited to 640x480p (VGA) for CRT sets unless custom scan rates are created in software to produce 540p, 720p or 1080i. Some LCD HDTV sets accept some higher VESA resolutions such as 800x600 (SVGA), 1024x768 (XGA), 1366x768 (WXGA), 1280x1080 (SXGA), 1440×900 (WSXGA) and so on. These are all square pixel RGB. DVI/HDMI connectors may or may not accept these scan rates at the option of the HDTV set manufacturer. Read the TV specs and never assume. DVI/HDMI are also complicated by HDCP encryption.
    Quote Quote