VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The prices have gotten low enough that I have decided to just buy Ritek +RW media. The difference in price between R and RW media is not that great anymore if you buy online. I have had 100% success rate and when I have made a mistake I can erase the RW and redo it again. That saves money in itself. I have also found RW media to be very compatible with all DVD players. Makes no sense to me to save a few bucks to use the R media anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The life of RW media is much shorter than R media. Also accidental erases, and loss of rewriting ability after x number of rewrites is always a concern.

For long term archiving, nobody will ever recommend RW.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Originally Posted by porphyra
    The life of RW media is much shorter than R media. Also accidental erases, and loss of rewriting ability after x number of rewrites is always a concern.

For long term archiving, nobody will ever recommend RW.
    Ditto. I've lost a lot of backups with cd-rw corruptions. The fix-it software was no help. Dvd media is even worse. Use the rw for experimenting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My current inventory of DVD discs is about 60/40% R to RW. I've already explained my reasons before for favoring RW almost exclusively in future but briefly: As new technology is developped, I can recopy the content and then erase the discs and resell them at face value. I've already done this with 50 of my older 2x cdrw and more than broke even because I bought my originals on sale in bulk and got all the cases free from someone who generally mailed business CDs in cardboard/paper sleeves and had no use for the extra plastic cases. Most of these CDs were used for storage and were only written to once or twice. My friends who bought them have had no problems with the used discs and although a bit slow at 2x they still could not buy them retail at the price I sold them.

I have not experienced any data loss from cdrw having owned about 150+ discs and used many more at work. Unfortunately it's been too short a period to say whether that will be true with dvd/rw but I can't see why not. A lot of problems reported with discs is burner/software/user related and often has nothing to do with the media. e.g. I bought a ten pack at Future Shop from a discard bin at greatly reduced price. Someone wrote on the box that these discs were no good and could not be written to. I had no problems with them at all and got a great deal.
    Quote Quote